Forum etiquette !

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Want your views on a scenario. HT & Team i know what you are going to say, so really want the view of others 1st - youll see why! :)

IF i see something on here that i feel is interesting and decide to post it elsewhere am i right or wrong, or do i need to do anything??

If i see something on a search engine and post it elsewhere again do i need to do anything??

Ok so lets say i find something here and decide to post it else where and HT or one of you guys see it elsewhere, is that a problem.

HT & Team hope you have the same answer i gave them lol!

Without giving away to much for those that may not be sure of the answer. I saw something on a reptile site that i thought sounded familiar - had no proof but the person said it was thier own work. Later after a few shall we say disagreements i was told i was being pedantic.

Also in same convo it was mentioned about sizes and money ie 40 gallon tank costing $40. Now me being me picked up on that and tried to state that in the UK we do not understand gallon for tank sizes as gallon refers to volume/liquid where as my tank size of say 36x18x18 inches would be understood in most languages. but nope im stupid if i do not understand what a gallon is. Well i DO understand what a gallon is its a measurement we use for fluid/volume, not something i would use for a tank size to put a lizard in - fish yes coz its the amount of water it can hold. also the $ sign is used in various different countries so when trying to convert it would help if the person mentioned $ USD or canadian/austrailian etc.

What i'd like to know is your thoughts on am i being picky when i ask what currency they are talking if i am not sure where in the world the person comes from. And does size really matter? i did try and convert 40gallon to inches but well its not easy. at tank of say 36x18x18 inches in oblong/rectangle shape but a 40gallon tank could be any shape - ones ive seen are usually drum/barrel shaped.

OK so i come from the uk as you guys know but what if i wanted the answer to this and i came from somewhere like brazil, china or bombay even where the US dollar and candadian/austrialian dollar are so much different
HTML:
http://www.xe.com/symbols.php
the $ is for so many difference currencies according to that site. So for me to get an accurate costing i would need to know which dollar to look up - would i not? also on that site it mentions that other countries use the £ sign - which i didnt know but i usually add £GBP so that people do know

OK so might not sound like a rant but believe me it ended up as one over on the site and ive been told basically if i do not conform to these ignorent men to leave and that the site was ok til i showed up and stuck me ore in!

So thats what you get for trying to be helpful ( or interfering as they put it) on a " friendly site" where it seems anyone who says different or comes from a different country is not welcome by its members!

your views please guys!!

Linny, I can see where both of you are coming from,BUT, and isn't there always a but, I would have to side with you if I am understanding you correctly.

a 40 gallon container, can be many different dimensions, as gallon refers to volume and it depends on how you stack the volume what shape you end up with. It surely is as easy to say to someone "it is a 40 Gallon container, and it measures h x w x d" as then there can be no misunderstandings. As you say volume is correct for Fish - not lizards/reptiles.

as for the currency, £,$,€ , who cares, just tell me which one you want to be paid in, then I can decide whether it is good value or not.

As for stealing stuff and putting it elsewhere, if it is accredited with the original source, that is one thing, but not to say where it came from is another.

Now what else were you bitching about LOL

If something is posted here and made by a member here, lets say it is watermarked I wouldn't mind it being posted elsewhere providing the watermark isn't removed, credit where credit is due, take the article / tutorial etc but don't take it then deface the authors signature to make out you made it also if it is taken say where it is taken from, i.e courtesy of Linny at techkings.org etc.

As for what you said about volume, if I was going to buy something and I didn't understand the size because of there description was in a format I didn't understand I would ask, if I was accused of being pedantic I would go elsewhere.

If you were offering advice that not all folk understand that and you were being called pedantic because of that then imo your are right and they are wrong.

They should have taken it as constructive criticism which would benefit other's reading the information given.

Well they certainly critised me! Will answer proper 2mora as just got in from work

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Linny, I remember back when I was younger, and when one of my sisters went shopping for a fish tank, they normally have them listed by dimensions as well as gallons listed here in the US (such as 10 Gallon 20"x11"x12").

As for posting elsewhere on here.....I do post a few articles I find on other sites here, but I also tend to add the link to the original site so that they can see where it came from, including the original author of the article, if their name is listed.

Thanks for your input guys!

exactly if you guys post anything that you have taken from elesewhere you give credit to either the author if you know who it is or state where you got it from = Etiquette! this kid lied and said it was all his words! sorry not being bitchy but at 16 and with 1 lizard i really cant see how he could know and have used that info himself. Anyways after me quoting plagarism and that the forum/owner could get into serious trouble ( yes it has happened) turns out he found it on the web on search engines and C&P'd lol! plus as no one knew which country he was from quoting $40 or 5 bucks for a 20 gallon container meant nothing to me or other members. IF i was quoting prices id put $40 USD so you knew exactly which currency i was talking about so you could convert easily.Again for ease of people reasing the post in countries that do not understand gallons id either put the 40g ( ?x?x?) or just the size. Even if i stated i used a small ox id state aprox dimentions - small to 1 person means different to another.

I may have been a tad overkill but what i was trying to get across to the stubborn fellas on there was that not everyone understood what the person was saying and that as its a global forum etiquette costs nothing. But i was accused of kid bashing being nasty and that i should ASSUME that as its a US based forum ( now how do i know that if im new to the place - what coz it had a .com addy) and US dominante that all prices/sizes etc will be in US standard.
As for the plagarism i got told that its not a uni report so it matters not where he got the info from and the kid does not need to tell people, erm yes he does as he originally said it was all his work. I tried to educate these morons ( sorry but they are ignorant and think everything they say is right- basically im a woman and know JS) It matters not how old the OP was if they had been 56 id have made same comments. But im just being awkward and forum was ok til i joined with my complaints that they dont try and include people from all countries.

Now if HT ran this forum like that as he is from the UK and we only worked on the fact that it should be UK dominant in everything we do - there would be no forum. we work as a family/COMMUNITY/team. But that place work on the attitude its US based and gonna stay that way and if people from the UK and other countries dont like it well then "leave" haha yet they have the bloody check to say they ARE a Friendly forum WTF ????

I contacted the owner and told him my thoughts and reported posts where i was being slated and told to leave - oh and also a lot of my posts i had made - had been deleted - but no one deleted them and its a "glitch" in the system! I also made a thread re the differences in meanings of words between the US & UK which other people posted in but mysteriously it had gone!
we use the word conti board - someone didnt understand what it mean. i mentioned rocket salad - again someone didnt understand - so i made a thread with some photos so that people could see and tell me what the american word was for that particular thing, THAT was wrong as they didnt need to know!!
Now you know why i was ranting and why i call them ignorant morons. LOL

WEl my stress levels have now gone down since i told owner to delete my account and that i no longer wanted to be part of his community if thats they way they were going to treat " foreign" people! - oh and i have yet to get a reply for the owner!!!

CHILL TIME :):):)!!!

People should know better than to F**k with you linny, damn them if they can't take a joke (y)

Back