France brands Henry a Cheat

Mooley

TK Veteran
THE world turned on Thierry Henry last night - with even his own country France branding him a CHEAT.

Irish football chiefs have written to FIFA demanding Wednesday's World Cup tie is replayed after the striker's blatant handball led to William Gallas' decisive goal.

The game's governing body insists there will be no replay.

But Henry's former Arsenal and France team-mate Emmanuel Petit said: "The feeling among the French public is one of embarrassment.

"More and more often we see people cheating to reach their targets so Thierry's handball will not send out a good message."

French legend David Ginola added: "I do not feel very proud to be French at the moment. Something should be done. The whole world saw it was handball. I am very embarrassed."

Henry's stomach-turning act meant France won the World Cup play-off 2-1 on aggregate to reach next summer's finals.

Petit and Henry were team-mates when France lifted the World Cup in 1998. Another '98 winner, Bixente Lizarazu, slammed France coach Raymond Domenech on live radio.

Domenech refused to answer questions about the handball and invited Lizarazu to attend a qualification party hosted by the French FA.

But the former defender replied: "France have done nothing. I'm in no mood for a party."

My part: Fair play to him he is quoted around the same time from french media saying "We're going to go the World Cup, but we go to the locker-room with our heads bowed. It was not something to be proud of. I'm not going to party" - Bixente Lizarazu

A FIFA spokesman dashed hopes of a replay, saying: "The rules of FIFA are absolutely clear and the referee's decisions in the game are final."

the sun

Last edited:
Henry Spotted In Paris with Referee Martin Hansson Earlier

henry1_0628as_0072jd61990382.jpg

Back