freecom mobile drive help

jmcd49

i have a freecom 80gb mobile drive which has stoped working is it possible for me to connect it to my pc so i can getmy data back is there special leads required any help will be much apprecated

It would very much depend on what is the problem with the drive, if it is mains powered, have you checked that it is not just the mains adapter? If it seems like it is powering up, have you checked that it is not just the USB cable? Alternatively, if you are comfortable with a screwdriver, you could try to get your hands on a second hand working drive, and take out the disk from the broken one to the other one.
lastly, you can leave drives in to have data removed, but it is damned pricey.

I think first off, you need to let us know exactly what model of drive you are talking about, and what the problem with it seems to be.

@Jodav, does it not sound like it is a portable drive as opposed to an internal HDD???

Hi wheelo :)

@Jodav, does it not sound like it is a portable drive as opposed to an internal HDD???

It certainly does wheelo. If hopefuly it is the logic board that has gone, he should be able to remove the drive from the enclosure and logic board and connect to his PC with USB to IDE\SATAadapter.

Jodav :)

I have all portables, didn't think they could be attached this way, ~I can see in my future a HDD opened up all over my table so I can explore. lol :whistling:

lol They are just normal hard drives at the end of the day plugged in to a little logic board inside the housing.

jodav :)

ive taken hard drive out of its case and out of its housing so im left with just my hard drive im tryin to conect this to my pc tower but connection not the same the hard drive run through usb i got light to come on when i messed about but nothing doin

jmcd49, you need to take the side panel off your tower to see if you have spare connections inside.

Dont disconnect anything from the motherboard trying to connect it and make sure its powered off when hooking it up.

If you want to take some pictures and post them here of the connections on the hard drive and a good clear picture of the insides of your pc tower we might be able to help further.

Back