Freesat and IPTV

NiMoAb

Hi. I have a few questions that I’m unsure of regarding satellite and IPTV. (I’m UK, Midlands based btw)

My dad has recently ditched sky… with my persuasion. Although I have setup IPTV on the android smart TV, he still wants some kind of Sly interface and both my parents are used to how that system works. The UI doesn’t necessarily have to mimic it but some thing similar so there is familiarity to navigate. This is what brought me to this forum in the first place as I was researching UI options.

What we have at the moment is a 2tb S+HD box. The house also has a multiway loft box which the HD box is connected via RF out, to distribute the signal in multiple rooms. This I would like to retain if possible if I go with a STB. I have seen that the Octagon SF8008 has an AV out. Would this be suitable for this purpose?

Another question I have is, would it be possible to replace the S+HD box with an enigma 2 box (or equivalent), plug in the LNB cables and receive free to air (Freesat) sat channels using the existing mini dish? Also, assuming there is a HDD present in the STB box, will there be recording of freesat available on something like an enigma 2 STB.

I’m also wanting to pair an IPTV sub to the STB as well. Will PVR functions also work with the HDD?

Last question for now. Is it possible also to map IPTV channels to channel numbers even if it requires some manual setup?

The box I'm interested in is either the Octagon SF8008 twin tuner although the Gigablue has also caught my eye.

Many Thanks,

As you had the Sky+ HD box the dish that was connected to those will be compatible with a enigma 2 box such as the Octagon or Gigablue you have mentioned.

IPTV recording is flakey, it only takes a slight glitch in the IPTV feed and it will drop the recording.

The Octagon with Willow build kind of mimics a Sky type system. It will give a familiar feel but not strictly functionally so.

Hi. I have a few questions that I’m unsure of regarding satellite and IPTV. (I’m UK, Midlands based btw)

My dad has recently ditched sky… with my persuasion. Although I have setup IPTV on the android smart TV, he still wants some kind of Sly interface and both my parents are used to how that system works. The UI doesn’t necessarily have to mimic it but some thing similar so there is familiarity to navigate. This is what brought me to this forum in the first place as I was researching UI options.

What we have at the moment is a 2tb S+HD box. The house also has a multiway loft box which the HD box is connected via RF out, to distribute the signal in multiple rooms. This I would like to retain if possible if I go with a STB. I have seen that the Octagon SF8008 has an AV out. Would this be suitable for this purpose?

Another question I have is, would it be possible to replace the S+HD box with an enigma 2 box (or equivalent), plug in the LNB cables and receive free to air (Freesat) sat channels using the existing mini dish? Also, assuming there is a HDD present in the STB box, will there be recording of freesat available on something like an enigma 2 STB.

I’m also wanting to pair an IPTV sub to the STB as well. Will PVR functions also work with the HDD?

Last question for now. Is it possible also to map IPTV channels to channel numbers even if it requires some manual setup?

The box I'm interested in is either the Octagon SF8008 twin tuner although the Gigablue has also caught my eye.

Many Thanks,
When my Sky deal is up, you can pay £5 a month to keep the Q box, I think its called Sky essentials

You basically get all the freeview channels, but the recording and pause rewind etc facilities, and the use still of the apps, so we use youtube Netflix amazon and the catch up apps so for £5 a month I don't think its too bad value for money

When my Sky deal is up, you can pay £5 a month to keep the Q box, I think its called Sky essentials

You basically get all the freeview channels, but the recording and pause rewind etc facilities, and the use still of the apps, so we use youtube Netflix amazon and the catch up apps so for £5 a month I don't think its too bad value for money
I'm guessing you just get the SD version for channels like ITV2, ITV3, etc? (rather than HD)

I'm guessing you just get the SD version for channels like ITV2, ITV3, etc? (rather than HD)
I've been out of contract since saturday but I still get the free HD channels. I'm not using Q btw. The recording and live pause functions are disabled.

You should get FTA as HD not sure how many there are.
I thought it was freesat we were discussing anyway i had sections hidden in ABM when I enabled all freesat bouquets I now get 35 HD channels I am not counting regional ones

If you are planning on recording make sure you get a device with 2 tuners
Recording iptv is hit and miss but if you download the heinz plugin you can watch catchup from your supplier on the device
Recording freesat works well as long as there's a hard drive initialised
Lastly install a sky skin such as kiddacs and should feel bit better for them

I have a gigablue Uhd ue 4k, it has twin tuner and internal hard drive and runs satellite and iptv without a problem or I know people say the Octagon SF8008 is a good box,but can't comment as never used one.

IPTV recording is flakey, it only takes a slight glitch in the IPTV feed and it will drop the recording.
I switched from OpenATV to OpenViX for that reason (on my GB UE 4K) because when it drops the recording it immediately starts a new one. You may occasionally end up with your programme in 2 or 3 parts but at least you get it all. (y)

I also really like the "YouViX Blue" theme which mimics the original YouView style. The one at the bottom here:
Screenshots

I switched from OpenATV to OpenViX for that reason (on my GB UE 4K) because when it drops the recording it immediately starts a new one. You may occasionally end up with your programme in 2 or 3 parts but at least you get it all. (y)

I also really like the "YouViX Blue" theme which mimics the original YouView style. The one at the bottom here:
Screenshots
I have used the red one for the last three reflashes

Back