Freesat box and Sky Q dish

My dad has recently cancelled his Sky Q subscription and has been given an old Samsung SMT-S7800 Freesat box from a mate. He has connected this to the Sky dish and the 'search' has provided 150+ channels with a very strong signal strength apparently. However, he gets no picture or sound and a message that says "Cannot receive this programme. Please check connections" and "No audio/video currently running". Anyone know what's going on here? Is it something to do with the wideband LNB on the Sky Q dish or would it not tune at all if that were the problem?

The lnb will need to be swapped cheapest option would be a universal LNB.

There is a slim chance the dish may have a wideband hybrid lnb fitted that would work if used on the correct LNB port, you need to take a picture of it or know the model number for us to advise.

The lnb will need to be swapped cheapest option would be a universal LNB.

There is a slim chance the dish may have a wideband hybrid lnb fitted that would work if used on the correct LNB port, you need to take a picture of it or know the model number for us to advise.
I'll find out. It's a standard Sky Q dish installed about five years ago - I think its in a really weird spot on the house but I'll get him to try and take a picture.

The tuners in the s7800 can not use the lnb correctly so even if it finds channels it may not display them.

SkyQ lnbs put the Horizontal and Vertical channels down a seperate LNB cable and the Q LNB operates at different frequencies to what your tuners in the S7800 need.

Mk4 twin universal LNB's can be had for about £12 you may find a hybrid lnb at similar money that could run a Q box and a s7800 using the correct ports on the Hybrid.

I personally would just go with the Twin Universal LNB.

The tuners in the s7800 can not use the lnb correctly so even if it finds channels it may not display them.

SkyQ lnbs put the Horizontal and Vertical channels down a seperate LNB cable and the Q LNB operates at different frequencies to what your tuners in the S7800 need.

Mk4 twin universal LNB's can be had for about £12 you may find a hybrid lnb at similar money that could run a Q box and a s7800 using the correct ports on the Hybrid.

I personally would just go with the Twin Universal LNB.
Any particular ones that you can recommend or that I should look out for? Are they relatively easy to fit? I'm pretty handy in that respect but obviously if there's a lot that can be done wrong maybe I should get him to sort out an engineer?

LNB Replacement Advice for Freesat

You will find quad LNBs for Sky dishes more readily. There is a link on above post. Make sure you get an LNB for Sky dishes, the collars are 38mm since Mk4, non-Sky ones are industry standard 40mm.

Not need for engineer, open screw, lift cover taking not to break lug, swap lnb, close cover, tighten screw.

Search for Geosync GK2LB on ebay it comes with the correct fitting to mount it to a Mk4 dish.

Just swap them over really simple.

Back