Freeview on ZGEMMA H.2H

A111

Hey Folks, is it possible to use and get bog standard freeview on the H2H using the Virgin line, getting rid of my virgin TV and just need basic free channles.
any tips?

found a few threads on here pointing openatv and Wooshbuild.. will try these out and post back. if anyone is using these boxes just for basic freeview with Virgin. would be great to get some tips..

found a few threads on here pointing openatv and Wooshbuild.. will try these out and post back. if anyone is using these boxes just for basic freeview with Virgin. would be great to get some tips..
With cable, all your gonna get is channels 1-5 in sd, thats without a line, with a line you will get all channels, as long as the feed coming into your house remains on a live connection, which is 50-50, best bet would be to take a basic broadband deal with VM , so you will always have a live connection, then take out a cable line at around a tenner a month and get the best use out of your h2h. If you are happy with the line after a few months, then you can move to 3 or 6 months or yearly deals, which works out cheaper in the long run.

£10 a month ? Prices went up.

Take it's Freesat. Rather than digital Freeview?
Majority of cable lines are around £10 a month, at least the decent ones are, I did point out to him , it would be cheaper for longer packages, I only pay
£30 per year, but my providers monthly deal is £7, yes of course if he has a sat dish connected to his h2h, he would get more channels without a line, but he makes no mention of sat.

I've not tried it but you should get Freeview (off a TV Aerial) on the H.2H as well. Just configure the Cable tuner for Terrestrial. Not as many channels as Freesat but more than free Cable.

I've not tried it but you should get Freeview (off a TV Aerial) on the H.2H as well. Just configure the Cable tuner for Terrestrial. Not as many channels as Freesat but more than free Cable.
Never tried it either, but I have never seen anyone on here saying that you can or cant, I would be interested in finding out for sure myself but I havent got a tv aerial.

Aerial is that funny metal thing on roof of house,whats the difference in dvb/t and dvb/t2 and i know h2h does not support t2

Thanks for the info :)
Already have VM Broadband. had the full house TV package and M350mb but due to some changes in income im cutting back on monthly outgoings. Dumping the TV and downgrading the broadband package.
I do have some dish>cables coming into the house as the TV's use to be hooked up direct for freesat and it will be a pain but can route the cable to the H2H box but it's doable.
The plan right now was to chuck out the VM Tivo box as i just cancelled the TV package and plug in the H2H box in it's place. In all fairness I am the only person who watches "normal" TV in the house hold. and YEP its grand designs :) For the rest of the house hold viewing theres AppleTV4k netflix, amazon, NFL game pass the whole works.
I was paying £55.00 for my M350 broadband and for an extra £5.00 I had the TV package. Downgraded my broadband to £41 for the M200 and dumped the TV package as they wanted to up it to £80 next month.

I grew up with the 4 main TV channels, and then watching Spice Girls launch Channel 5, growing up watching cartoons after school or running down to watch my fav shows Sat morning.. Who still remembers getting up for snowman in the early hours!! There is something very nostalgic for me when it comes to TV channels. I guess im a dying breed!! I have the H2H from back when and would rather reuse the kit then leave it in the loft. :)

If you have live VM cable and a H2h, why were you paying for TV package at all?
Stick the VM cable in the H2h and watch through that.
You can also run your iptv/nfl whatever through the same box

We have a broadband and tv package, which includes a phone line that we dont use as we dont even have a landline phone, We pay £46 a month, the mrs uses the V6 virgin box mostly although I do record on it quite alot, we get quite a few channels on it, to be fair, I have the h2h running along with it, its the mrs that pays the VM bill each month, but I do begrudge paying them for a phone line that does not get used. Have they gave you a new deal for a broadband only package.

Last edited:
If you have live VM cable and a H2h, why were you paying for TV package at all?
Stick the VM cable in the H2h and watch through that.
You can also run your iptv/nfl whatever through the same box

Good point, long story short.. the H2H was never reliable, i bought the line to mainly watch NFL games, but freezing pains, random other issues, so instead signed up for an NFL game pass that allowed me to watch all the NFL I wanted via app/website and apple TV's etc

all other TV shows I cant get via Netflix,Amazon i get via my NAS/Sonarr combo....
I dug the H2H out of the loft and will get it flashed and updated to have a play with latter this evening.

As mentioned above, there are only three free channels on Virgin.

There are free channels on satellite. They are not Freeview. Best to refer to them as Free To Air (FTA) satellite channels.

Freeview is only available through an aerial.

Some channels are free on one medium but not on another. Some are available to one provider others are not.

Good point, long story short.. the H2H was never reliable, i bought the line to mainly watch NFL games, but freezing pains, random other issues, so instead signed up for an NFL game pass that allowed me to watch all the NFL I wanted via app/website and apple TV's etc

all other TV shows I cant get via Netflix,Amazon i get via my NAS/Sonarr combo....
I dug the H2H out of the loft and will get it flashed and updated to have a play with latter this evening.
You will also have the option of the E2istream plugin, formally known as E2iplayer, for movies and tv shows. Also do you have a tv aerial that you can connect to your h2h?

As mentioned above, there are only three free channels on Virgin.

There are free channels on satellite. They are not Freeview.

Freeview is only available through an aerial.

Thanks Abu, so plugging in the H2H into Virgin cable will only give me 3 or so free channels? unless i want to pay extra for a line?
Im guessing if i plug it into the freesat dish ill get all the free sat channels on the H2H?

The dish on the property is a free sat dish, not part of sky..

Back