Windows Vista Fujitsu siemens amilo laptop disc read error

moh

Deleted, at user's request.
Hi G if you come acrosss this thread id appreciate it if you could read it thanks in advance..
A neighbour has shown me her laptop which shows read disc error then followed by press cont alt del to restart.on the start up screen options are given as follows (press f2 to enter setup) (press f12 to enter multi boot selection menu) by pressing f2 it does give access to the bios settings.she doesnt have the vista disc as its factory installed plus hasnt got a recovery disc.would you think that the hdd is in need of replacing ,any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What is the model number of the Amilo moh?

Some of them come with a recovery partition on the HDD itself & that is usually accessible from an F?? key at startup.

What options are available when you hit the F12 key on startup?

-

thanks for looking G the model no is amilo p1 1505.and when i press f12 im shown a screen which consists of

Boot Menu

3. idecd: optiarc DVD RW AD-754
5.ide hdd: WDC WD1200BEVS-07LATO

<enter setup>

thanks for looking G the model no is amilo p1 1505.and when i press f12 im shown a screen which consists of

Boot Menu

3. idecd: optiarc DVD RW AD-754
5.ide hdd: WDC WD1200BEVS-07LATO

<enter setup>

That model should have come with a recovery CD/DVD & when you boot from it and choose option 3 above it reads from the recovery partition to initialize the recovery partition.

Did they not get the discs or have they just lost them?

If you continuously press F8 on startup do you get options for recovery of any sort? (not talking about Safe Mode now).

-

G when i press f8 on startup im given the screen with "a disc read error occurred press cont alt del to restart" when i do this im back to the screen with the f2 and f12 options so its just going round in circles,she hasnt a recovery disc or maybe she did get them when they bought the laptop new but hasn't got them now.thanks for your help on this G.

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:51 PM ----------

G i just came across this site http://www.grsales.co.uk/Drivers/fujitsuamilovistaDrivers.htm#Fujitsu_Siemens_Amilo_Pi1505%C2%A0Windows_Vista_Home_Basic_Edition_Drivers_DVDs
would you think if i order from here would it solve the problem by reading this page im not sure if what they are offering will sort the laptop.

G when i press f8 on startup im given the screen with "a disc read error occurred press cont alt del to restart" when i do this im back to the screen with the f2 and f12 options so its just going round in circles,she hasnt a recovery disc or maybe she did get them when they bought the laptop new but hasn't got them now.thanks for your help on this G.

What Operating System was on it?

XP

Vista

Ok, without the recovery disc(s) the only other option to determine if it's an operating system problem or a physical hard drive problem would be to try the following.

Get **;d of a disc from someone else (maybe the friend that gave you the XP CD recently?)

Put it into the CD drive

Boot the machine

Press F12 during startup

Choose the option to boot from CD

If it allows you to proceed there's a good chance that the HDD is ok.

Bare in mind though, if you go ahead with that it will format the drive and all data will be lost.

If it had Vista onboard & you could get your hands on a Vista disc, you could boot from that & Vista would automatically try to repair the OS if it found a problem.

If both options were to fail it would mean that the HDD if damaged.

-

G the laptop has vista installed ill try to get a hold of a vista disc in the next few days, ill post back when i have run the vista disc ,,,, thanks again for all your help cheers G. (y)

No worries moh, post back whenever.

That link you posted looks like it's for the Drivers only which may be needed if you have to do a full re-install (But it doesn't contain the operating system itself).

-

Im just about to head to bed G but if you get a chance sometime would you have a look at this disc here as the product key code is at the bottom of the laptop would you think that this disc would enable me to do a clean install with the product key that i have thanks again G.

That Disc would work with your key moh but there's no point in purchasing that if it's the actual hard drive that's faulty?

PM sent.

-

Hi G well i got the disc in the post today installed it without any problems so lucky for my neighbour the HDD isn't gone as i said in a previous post you are an absolute asset to Techkings, i cant thank you enough for all your help i sincerely mean that. (y)

The bank holiday's really put An Post under pressure, don't they :willy nilly:

Glad you're sorted moh (y)

-

Back