Future of TV for the masses - 4k, 8k

thebesh

TK Supporter
I was chatting to my mate the other night. We both have the beautiful OLED LG CX (bought in 2021). Previously I just bought any half decent brand of telly, as I end up plugging a PC and Set-top box into the HDMI ports. The LG is the first TV I have properly embraced the apps integrated into the TV and they look and function brilliantly. The discussion we had was along the lines of not feeling the need to upgrade the TV for at least another 5 years. I was in Tokyo with work at the end of 2019 and saw 8k TV's in Akihabara. I'm assuming it was an 8k source plugged into them and they did look great, but would have liked to have seen it side by side comparison with 4k.

So, what is the future of TV? (and 4k and 8k content)

Right now, we don't have many 4k live TV feeds. I'm assuming cost at the broadcaster side is part of the reason, as it's mainly subscription channels that provide this and usually only for specific events. I guess what I'm wondering is will we see the mainstream channels eventually moving from FHD to 4k? I assume subscription TV would go first. I'm really surprised Sky don't have a 4k UHD Movie Channel. There's plenty of 4k UHD releases, but maybe it's a licensing issue to broadcast some movies in this format? Is the future of TV in the form of official subscription IPTV direct from the broadcasters? (do away with dishes, like they have with SkyPuck). The fact I saw 8k TV's back in 2019, when are we realistically going to see any content that use this? Would like be like 4k content, where it was mainly produced on BluRay discs first, or do we skip physical media and jump straight to 8k content available to stream/download?

Interested to see what others think about this :smiley:

Following year we had a global pandemic, now a global recession which is likely to continue for at least 5 years, can't see 8k making any kind of impact in the next 10 years, even 4k which has been around a while is still a rarity

I was chatting to my mate the other night. We both have the beautiful OLED LG CX (bought in 2021). Previously I just bought any half decent brand of telly, as I end up plugging a PC and Set-top box into the HDMI ports. The LG is the first TV I have properly embraced the apps integrated into the TV and they look and function brilliantly. The discussion we had was along the lines of not feeling the need to upgrade the TV for at least another 5 years. I was in Tokyo with work at the end of 2019 and saw 8k TV's in Akihabara. I'm assuming it was an 8k source plugged into them and they did look great, but would have liked to have seen it side by side comparison with 4k.

So, what is the future of TV? (and 4k and 8k content)

Right now, we don't have many 4k live TV feeds. I'm assuming cost at the broadcaster side is part of the reason, as it's mainly subscription channels that provide this and usually only for specific events. I guess what I'm wondering is will we see the mainstream channels eventually moving from FHD to 4k? I assume subscription TV would go first. I'm really surprised Sky don't have a 4k UHD Movie Channel. There's plenty of 4k UHD releases, but maybe it's a licensing issue to broadcast some movies in this format? Is the future of TV in the form of official subscription IPTV direct from the broadcasters? (do away with dishes, like they have with SkyPuck). The fact I saw 8k TV's back in 2019, when are we realistically going to see any content that use this? Would like be like 4k content, where it was mainly produced on BluRay discs first, or do we skip physical media and jump straight to 8k content available to stream/download?

Interested to see what others think about this :smiley:

Technology in TV's advances so quickly these days. Tbh I'm not mega techie with specs - my tv isn't oled, qled or anything but it's a big un, wall mounted and ambilight which is a feature I really like. If technology does move on quickly and 4k and 8k becomes more readily available I will upgrade to something that allows me to get the best viewing experience that I can.

As @pabloescaban said it will be a while yet. Its taken so many years to even get most up to standard with hd and there's still sd around. You won't see 8k until at least 90% of channels are in 4k and everyone can access them.

We don't even have all channels in 1080 HD yet and those that are from sat, are only 1080i and not 1080p (in the uk).

I suspect by the time the main broadcasters move to switching from HD to UHD, it will go straight to 8K (or maybe even 16K) as by that time, streaming direct from broadcasters will be mainstream, rather than Sat (all imo of course).

I think unless you have a massive TV (think projector size 100' plus) most won't really notice the difference between 4k and 8k images anyway, or not enough to justify the massive difference in price

Personally picture quality is not as important, as having a pedistal that moves 90".. Via r/c

Back