Garden Decking advice needed

jodav

VIP Member
Hi All :)

Thinking of putting some decking down some time in the future in an area in my garden behind the garage in my recently acquired home (previous owners had a kids trampoline there so it sort of bare with some weeds and a bit of grass popping through hardened soil.

Its around a 6 ft by 10 ft area or so and I am thinking of decking to put maybe a table and chairs there as it is a bit of a hot spot on an afternoon\evening.

My question is as I have no experience but would enjoy giving it a go, for my preparation; Would it be OK to maybe weed it, turn it over with spade, and simply put weed protector sheet down and then erect my slightly raised decking. Or should I put some gravel on top of weed protector sheet (or sand), or should I put a mixture of sand and concrete down on top of the sheet, or something else?

Not only am I looking for a cheapish option (but not at expense of a rubbish job), but an option in time to easily remove should I ever wish to re grass or put some plants there.

Thanks for any advice,

jodav :)

HTML:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hpZaaqOGww
plenty of u tube videos there,make sure your weed membrane is of good quality and not a j cloth material and double it up and would need to be air and water passable [ lets water in ] good quality screws screws used so its easier to screw.
i hear wickes make a wax covered screw for easier driving.

turning over your soil will leave you with an unstable base,not what you want,spray it with a weed preventer a few weeks earlier to get it ready,some say dead in 24 hrs lol

Last edited:
I will pull weeds out, get some spray, and get some good quality weed covering. at least i can get prep work done whilst I price my decking, joists etc for when i have some funds to purchase them. i wont bother with gravel or pebbles over the cover then unless i can get hold of some cheap by word of mouth to people i know.

cheers Cacti,

What about getting some flags and laying them down first as that will give you a base to work off and if you poinit in between them then you won't get any weeds in that area.

Laying flags will result in a patio style area, so, plonking decking on top will kind of defeat the purpose and double the job and expense?

[video=youtube;Vn-EwswnEgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-EwswnEgI[/video]

Thanks for the replies Guys. I did think about laying Flags full stop actually leemoo along with maybe re grassing the area. I decided to go with the decking option and want as little under preparation as possible without jeopardizing the job so to speak, that way I can remove easily in future if I so wish. I have done research on the subject and watched plenty of vids on the net etc, but my research came up with some people saying a grass mat is OK by itself, and others say mixing sand, or a mixture of sand and cement, others say even more like yourself.

From what I see and with replies given I think maybe for just decking and not a Garden shed etc, that just a weed mat may be fine for purpose but am still open to advice as I will not be doing it too soon.

My first step will be to prep the ground, then I may be back here if I have any problems or questions when I come to purchase the decking and materials, and erect the decking.

Thanks a lot for the VID Gman, I have not got the Internet in my new home yet (borrowing someone else s if you get me drift), and so I will watch that in the coming days.

Thanks a lot all of you for your input.

Hey pal checkout youtube your best bet
hi all :)

thinking of putting some decking down some time in the future in an area in my garden behind the garage in my recently acquired home (previous owners had a kids trampoline there so it sort of bare with some weeds and a bit of grass popping through hardened soil.

Its around a 6 ft by 10 ft area or so and i am thinking of decking to put maybe a table and chairs there as it is a bit of a hot spot on an afternoon\evening.

My question is as i have no experience but would enjoy giving it a go, for my preparation; would it be ok to maybe weed it, turn it over with spade, and simply put weed protector sheet down and then erect my slightly raised decking. Or should i put some gravel on top of weed protector sheet (or sand), or should i put a mixture of sand and concrete down on top of the sheet, or something else?

Not only am i looking for a cheapish option (but not at expense of a rubbish job), but an option in time to easily remove should i ever wish to re grass or put some plants there.

Thanks for any advice,

You can buy thick plastic BLACK sheeting and weight it down with old bits of concrete stone or brick. This is cheap fast and works. But it isn't wise to deck right up to a house as there is the risk of rodents getting in under the decking and you'll be in big trouble as they love such places. If you do make sure you have slightly bigger gaps in the decking to allow rain water to get under the deck this will keep the rodent's from setting up home under your deck. Make sure they don't find it a cosy hideaway. Good luck.

Hey thanks corner. I have got as far as buying the black undercover which has been in the garage for a couple of months now lol. Still awaiting the finance to buy the decking but whenever that is i will take your advice on board.

Thanks again,

the old style Clearasil is a perfect weed killer ok it stinks but nothing will grow after that not sure who stocks it any more though

Back