Gazza 'Considering' Shock Football Return

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Former England star Paul Gascoigne could be set for a surprise return to football after being offered a role as manager of a non-league club.

37.jpg

Gascoigne has struggled with alcoholism since retiring from football in 2004

Gazza has been approached by the West Yorkshire side Garforth Town, known for bringing 1980s Brazilian legend Socrates out of retirement.

He told the News of the World's website: "I feel strong right now. For me personally it's a big challenge.

"It's whether the players want to join me in that challenge.

"I never knew when I'd get back into football. I want to take the club forward and I want the players to develop. I will give commitment to the club."

The move would give Gazza the chance to finally achieve management success after a brief and undistinguished career in the dugout.

And it is hoped the job could aid his redemption away from football after a particularly turbulent few months.

The 43-year-old went into rehab in July, three days after he turned up drunk to try to help police negotiate with gunman Raoul Moat in Northumbria.

Moat had been on the run for seven days after shooting and seriously injuring his ex-girlfriend, killing her new partner and injuring and blinding a police officer.

38.jpg

Gazza sustained head injuries after a car he was in hit a wall in June

During a stand-off with police in Rothbury, Gazza arrived asking to talk to his friend "Moatie" and had brought him some food, lager and warm clothing.

He said he knew Moat when the fugitive worked as a bouncer in Newcastle.

In June Gazza was injured in a car crash in Newcastle when a 36-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of drink driving.

He has been in and out of rehab as he continues his battle with alcohol and his career opportunities have been few and far between.

The former Newcastle, Tottenham, Lazio and Rangers player's previous management role at Kettering lasted just 39 days when he was sacked amid claims he was drinking too much.

But Garforth Town are hoping Gazza will have more success at their club.

The club's owner, Simon Clifford, insisted the offer is "not a publicity stunt".

"I want him to be an inspiration to someone who might have depression or problems in their lives," he said. "He's walked through hell but he has kept on walking."

In 2004 the club revealed it had signed the former Brazil player Socrates, who at 50, played his first competitive game in 14 years against Tadcaster United.

Socrates, who is a qualified doctor, skippered Brazil at two World Cups and was known for smoking a packet of cigarettes a day.

Back