Windows 7 generic host process for win32 services

kolkol99

I've done a search on here and couldn't find any thing so I hope I'm not going over old ground
Anyway
A couple of weeks a go I started having probs with a file called svchost.exe hogging my cpu, taking up 100% of it sometimes causing my comp to slow right down, I would go into task manger and close the offending file and, at first, that would cure the problem. Then , after a while of doing this sometimes the sound on my PC would go, I don't have a separate sound card, but would come back after re-booting. I have scanned for viruses or anything else with AVG and Malwarebytes and both found nothing..
Then, recently things have got worse. Now,when I boot up all is OK for a short period of time and the I get an error message saying "generic host process for win32 services error" and I have to click close on the message, after the comp seems to run OK but with no sound, I have even tried with an external USB sound card and still cannot get sound and even if I re-boot it only lasts a short time with sound before it goes again
I have tried various fixes I have found through searching, checking the registry for errors, amongst others I then ran my manufacturers recovery disk to re-install Windows and I still have the same problem
I'm running XP with service pack 3

Can anyone PLEASE help?

Visit the Microsoft website and Download Windows Update v3.exe and save it to your C:\ drive

Download this file fix_svchost.bat (right click and choose save as..) and save it to your C:\ drive

Download this file WindowsXP-KB927891.exe and save it to your C:\ drive

Reboot the computer and log in to Windows XP in safe mode. To do this, press F8 just before the WindowsXP logo shows up during boot and press up to choose “Safe Mode”

Once Windows has loaded and you have the option of which user account to use, log on as “Administrator”.
Click Start > Run, choose the Browse button and find the fix_svchost.bat file you saved before, press Open, then OK.
A black screen will pop up and white text will scroll past. Wait for this process to finish as it could take several minutes. It will close itself when its finished.

Once the black screen disappears, Click Start > Run, choose the Browse button and find the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe file you saved before, press Open, then OK. Follow the prompts as it installs.

When Windows Update Agent finishes installing, Click Start > Run, choose the Browse button and find the WindowsXP-KB927891.exe file you saved before, press Open, then OK. Follow the prompts as it installs.

Reboot the computer

Didn't work I'm afraid sob sob
I've noticed a couple of suggestions else where say to run Malware bytes in windows safe mode, I've tried this but there is no scan button to start a scan, it's there in normal mode
Any ideas?

Malwarebytes will function the same in Safe Mode as it does in normall boot. Should not be any difference in the program GUI.

I then ran my manufacturers recovery disk to re-install Windows and I still have the same problem

Sounds like your recovery disc only wrote over the existing install and no format was carried out?

If a true reformat and reinstall was carried out the problem would definitely have been solved.

Thanks for your help guys , in the end I bite the bullit and formatted my HD and reinstalled everything

I recommend you look up Acronis True Home Image. :) It helps to create a bit-for-bit copy of your computers hard drive for an easy recovery incase..... sorry, when a disaster strikes.

Just yesterday i ran into a Virus. I had my copy of the Windows XP disc, and all it took was a reformat using the XP disc, cancel the setup process, pop in the Acronis True Home Media CD, plug in my external hard drive that has the backup stored, and within 10 minutes i was back to a nice, clean, virus free state. :)

Its good to have a backup like this, when i got the virus, i didnt feel disheartened at all, what i thought would be fun is going into C Drive, and deleting stuff, and mucking up the registry, and renaming dll files till my system crashed, and i laughed as i wiped and restored everything. :)

Back