Genuine VM picture quality

claktv

Hi all

After 6 years with CS and IPTV, I finally got genuine VM 360 installed and I am absolutely appalled with the picture quality - its way worse than IPTV ever was. HD looks SD and SD is unwatchable.

Is this high compression/pixelation/low-bitrate picture normal for Virmin? Anyone else got proper Virmin or experienced this with VM lines back in the day? I know it has been discussed at length over on the VM forums.

Cheers F

Last edited:
People on here tend to know more about the technical side of stuff than the balloons over at VM through. Esp. those who had cable C/S. Asking more about DVB-C and if it’s always this way.

No one on here pays for genuine VM TV so I'm glad to hear it's shite.
It means we're getting a better experience for a fiftieth of the cost.

There could be a fault on your line if it's so bad.

What's the power levels in the router showing?
I pay for genuine vm as part of my package and I have the v6 box. Apart from watching maybe history hd for an hour on a night, we use all other sources. On weekends I switch on the viark box to watch sky news hd as the sd version on vigin in awful.

Last edited:
The SD version on Freeview is fine on my 50 inch TV (y)
I might have a look at that, i sent my new tv up in december but used a cable from the fixed sky dish to use as freesat, the cable is just sat there from the aerial. I might plug it in over the weekend.

No one on here pays for genuine VM TV so I'm glad to hear it's shite.
It means we're getting a better experience for a fiftieth of the cost.

There could be a fault on your line if it's so bad.

What's the power levels in the router showing?
Don’t get me wrong, the experience with VM new boxes is great - the UI is brilliant, but I only took it because the other half wanted it tbh. I’ll be keeping my IPTV subs.

Upstream power levels show as 48 and downstream at roughly 1.7.

cheers F

To be honest Clak, you’ll only get pure heartache,you’ll not get anyone or very few,a good thing to say about it,so do you really need all that hassle in your life,I’d explain to your other half politely this is not the way to go,and take up numerous other far better quality options,a personal friend of mine put himself through utter hell,working with something similar,and all the advice he got,he didn’t take,he thought he could tweak this and tweak that,to finally go for a Canadian box,now he just smiles . It took him 3 years though! ! !

Don’t get me wrong, the experience with VM new boxes is great - the UI is brilliant, but I only took it because the other half wanted it tbh. I’ll be keeping my IPTV subs.

Upstream power levels show as 48 and downstream at roughly 1.7.

cheers F
If my other half wanted VM i'd tell her to move back in with the ******* Mother In Law and tell her to pay it

I have the v6 box as part of my channels, the HD channels are top quality, I have Sky1 and Sky living and Fox and a few others all in sd, and they are all ok, well watchable, I record Sky one for lots of programmes.

If my other half wanted VM i'd tell her to move back in with the ******* Mother In Law and tell her to pay it
Haha. It was a compromise really - I need ‘better’ internet for work and the only other option here is copper. 600mbps is better than 6!
the HD channels are top quality
Must be a signal fault or something then as I’ve noticed when I’ve only got the one box on it’s much better. Sly1 isn’t bad. Thanks for letting me know.

cheers F

Haha. It was a compromise really - I need ‘better’ internet for work and the only other option here is copper. 600mbps is better than 6!

Must be a signal fault or something then as I’ve noticed when I’ve only got the one box on it’s much better. Sly1 isn’t bad. Thanks for letting me know.

cheers F
I'm only messing anyway mate. Why don't you ask for an engineer to come out?

I'm only messing anyway mate. Why don't you ask for an engineer to come out?
I know you’re only having a laugh, kind of silly posting something like this on here. I will try phoning again but there’s a better chance of getting through to them if I stand on the roof with a megaphone pointed towards India.

Back