Germany ‘won’t approve’ AstraZeneca vaccine for over-65s

bonus2010

VIP Member
It's all happening awfully fast.....

BB1db01u.img

The Independent said:
Germany has recommended the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine should only be given to people under the age of 65.

The country’s committee has reportedly said the jab, developed alongside the University of Oxford, should only be offered to people aged between 18 and 64.

It gave a lack of sufficient data on the effectiveness of the inoculation in older people as the reason for the decision in a draft recommendation.

Not just that, I hear the European Union has as yet not approved the vaccination, but then I doubt that will concern the experts just silly old me.
Strange to hear that given I also hear a bit of dispute going on with EU and the company over supplies.

Here's the full story
Code:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/germany-won-t-approve-astrazeneca-vaccine-for-over-65s/ar-BB1db1z7?MSCC=1605170029

TBH EU are p*ssed that they arent getting their share of the vaccines which could be one factor here.

Also its down to each member state if they choose to approve such vaccines available for whatever reason they choose to.

Vast majority of countries in the world have and are hoping to have the vaccine approved to provide to their citizens.

TBH EU are p*ssed that they arent getting their share of the vaccines which could be one factor here.

I don't think any of us could be sure if the EU have anything to complain about, until we have seen the terms of the contract agreed.
I've only heard some tterms of the UK contract.

Also its down to each member state if they choose to approve such vaccines available for whatever reason they choose to.
I think the newspaper article was referring more to the EMA in terms of not being approved, but it is nevertheless interesting to find Germany giving reasons not to use on over 60s referring to data or lack of.....

Vast majority of countries in the world have and are hoping to have the vaccine approved to provide to their citizens.

All good and well then :)

Yep .toys out of the pram time..
65yo go ahead all is fine but if you're 66yo get out of here we needed more testing.

its because the EU are trying to change the terms of the contract,
they are demanding they get their ordered amount on a set date and saying they have priority over the UK
the contract states something along the lines of 'when available'
there is a hold up in a Belgian production lab so the EU are saying thery should be getting supplies from the 2 labs in the UK
they have been told NO, so are trying to throw their weight around, the Swedish are NOT happy with the EU right now.
it has NOTHING to do with the safety of the vaccine
its about politics and Brexit, plain and simple

"Not just that, I hear the European Union has as yet not approved the vaccination, but then I doubt that will concern the experts just silly old me..."

Heard on the Radio this PM that the EU will approve the AstraZeneca vaccine tomorrow.

As for Germany not recommending it for the over '65's -- UK medical authorities are happy to carry on with their programme.

Early days, but things are starting to look good for the UK....

It's good the Germans don't want it, more for us.
7.5 million injected in Britain.
Double that in next 4 weeks

By mid summer over half will be vaccinated.
As for those who refuse, it won't make any difference to herd immunity because the chances are they'll already have antibodies due to already having it earlier

Back