Given stretchered off with suspected broken shoulder

joekingman

VIP Member
TK Supporter
Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given looks set to miss the upcoming friendlies against Paraguay and Algeria at the RDS after injuring his left shoulder in Manchester City’s Premier League draw against Arsenal at The Emirates this evening.

City will also have to do without their number one as they continue the fight to claim fourth position and a Champions League slot for next season.

The Donegalman was fully extended in getting a hand to a stinging Abou Diaby shot after 70 minutes and looked in a lot of pain during lengthy treatment on the pitch.

Given was administered oxygen before being taken off on a stretcher to be replaced by Gunnar Nielsen.

After the game, City manager Roberto Mancini confirmed that Given had gone straight to hospital for treatment, while there was speculation that he may have broken his shoulder.

Mancini, though, believes his side can cope without Given in their last three games of the season and gave credit to Faroe Islands international Nielsen.

“I hope it’s a little injury, but I don’t know. Now Shay is in the hospital so I don’t know,” Mancini said. “I don’t think we have a problem for the next three games.”

Defender Kolo Toure admitted Given will be a loss, but gave his backing to Nielsen.

“I think he’s done his shoulder,” said the Ivorian. “He’s a really important player for us. I think the second goalkeeper did really well.”

The worry for Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni is that Given has already had surgery on his left shoulder, that has troubled him throughout his career.

If he requires a further operation it could also rule him out of the glamour friendly against Argentina at the new Aviva Stadium on August 11th, before Trapattoni’s side open their European Championship qualifying campaign away to Armenia on September 3rd.

It is sad for given noely, he has been one of the best goalkeeper's in prem league
this season, i wish him a speedy recovery.

It is sad joe. I think he`s the best goalkeeper in the premiership, & possibly Europe by a mile.

Hope he recovers for the Argentina game at the Aviva Stadium (y)

it is now thought to be a dislocated shoulder, it looked innocuous enough - a run of the mill dive, though he had to be given oxygen on his way off

Manchester City have asked the Premier League for permission to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency loan deal until the end of the season.

And BBC Sport understands the request is set to be granted, even though the transfer window closed on 1 February.

Shay Given will miss City's last three games after dislocating a shoulder in the 0-0 draw with Arsenal on Saturday.

Stuart Taylor is also out and Joe Hart is on loan at Birmingham, which leaves only the inexperienced Gunnar Nielsen.

The Faroe Islands international had never played in the Premier League until the last 17 minutes of the draw at the Emirates, where Given had to leave the field on a stretcher.

However, manager Roberto Mancini has no back-up for Nielsen and cannot risk losing another goalkeeper at such a crucial stage as the club push for the fourth Champions League place.

Sixth-placed City cannot recall England international Hart under the terms of his season-long loan deal at St Andrew's, while former Arsenal keeper Taylor is still recovering from knee surgery.

Republic of Ireland international Given has been an integral figure between the posts for City since joining from Newcastle in February 2009.

His presence as City's number one keeper forced Hart, 23, to seek first-team opportunities outside of Eastlands.

Nielsen joined City in 2009 on a free transfer from Blackburn Rovers after a loan spell with Blue Square Premier side Wrexham.

Man City sign Sunderland keeper Marton Fulop on loan

Manchester City have recruited Sunderland keeper Marton Fulop on an emergency loan deal for the remaining three games of the season.

City had hoped to recall their on-loan keeper Joe Hart from Birmingham to cover for the injured Shay Given, but were blocked and turned to Fulop, 26.

Fulop, Sunderland's third choice, is set to train with City on Wednesday.

Back