Goalkeeper Assault: Man Jailed For 16 Weeks

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
A man from Gloucestershire admits running out of the crowd and assaulting a goalkeeper during a televised football derby.

kirkland-2-522x293.jpg
Aaron Cawley jailed for 4 months

A football fan has been jailed for four months after he admitted assaulting Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland.

Aaron Cawley, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, appeared before magistrates in Sheffield today.

The 21-year-old also pleaded guilty to invading the pitch during the Championship match against Leeds United on Friday night.

Cawley was arrested after Kirkland was struck in the face during the 1-1 draw at Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.

The home goalkeeper, who has played for England, fell to ground and required treatment but was able to finish the game.

"I was sore and ... really shocked at what had happened and it was a strange feeling because of all the adrenalin you feel in such a big match anyway," he told the club's official website.

"It was scary. I thought of my family watching something like that and it was not a nice feeling.

"I would like to thank everyone from the football world for their messages of support."

The incident was caught on camera by Sky Sports, which was broadcasting the derby game live.

Cawley could be seen running from a group of away supporters onto the pitch before pushing Kirkland and running back into the crowd.

In a statement issued after the game, Leeds United said: "We would like to publicly apologise for and condemn the actions of the fan who came onto the pitch at Hillsborough.

"There is no place for that type of behaviour and the majority of Leeds United fans will be ashamed of his actions."

Back