Going fibre at last

Borzio

Hi Guys, I previously posted about getting fibre broadband and isps advice. Now Openreach has released our cabinet to the new fibre I'd appreciate if I could be advised of anything to look out for re using my firestick for iptv.

As I'm in a contract the cheapest option for me is TT to upgrade to fibre, which is ok by me, but:
does the firestick work with the fibre router the same as the adsl router I have just now? (apart from changing the router password as usual)
Anything else I need to change or be careful about?

My provider's iptv works well and is stable at the moment, and I'd expect switching to fibre wouldn't make a difference, am I right in this?
As usual, all advice appreciated, cheers

TT will just send you new router you just plug it in as usual and connect to your tt network with new password given.

As uri has mentioned you will get a new router through post and on your activation day plug it in and once live just re connect each device and will be good to go as for your iptv that should should load as normal mate if not just ask your provider if he uses isp lock or go into settings on firestick then applications/manage applications then app used for iptv and clear cache then re open your iptv app

If you're staying with TT do you have their Hub router by any chance? If so I believe that's a xDSL router which afaik works on both ADSL (normal broadband) And VDSL (fibre broadband) so you may not need to switch.

Be wary of new routers they send you - my fibre connection went down last week. They tried blaming it on the equipment so sent a new Hub out despite me telling them it was an external problem and to send out an OR engineer. The new hub was the same, no connection, so they reluctantly requested an engineer. Was a problem at the cabinet as I assumed all along.

The new hub was s**t the 5ghz band don't work on it so swapped it back with the old one.

If you're staying with TT do you have their Hub router by any chance? If so I believe that's a xDSL router which afaik works on both ADSL (normal broadband) And VDSL (fibre broadband) so you may not need to switch.

Be wary of new routers they send you - my fibre connection went down last week. They tried blaming it on the equipment so sent a new Hub out despite me telling them it was an external problem and to send out an OR engineer. The new hub was the same, no connection, so they reluctantly requested an engineer. Was a problem at the cabinet as I assumed all along.

The new hub was s**t the 5ghz band don't work on it so swapped it back with the old one.
V8grunt, thanks, (and urie),
Like urie above I've the Huawei HG635 TT router, so I presume they will send me out a new one with the fibre, do you know if the 5ghz on the hub is sh*t on them all, or were you just unlucky? If them all then I'll badger them for one that has it working.

bazcfc1, thanks. I've never heard of isp lock before (which don't mean a lot I know:LOL:) so hope I won't have that, but will do as you suggest if I have a problem. Thanks also for the clear cache advice.

@Borzio , they may not send you out a new router because you have a Huawei HG635 It's been that long I cant remember if they sent me the Huawei HG635 when I got fibre or whether I had it before fibre and never had an updated router since. Iv'e been with them since they were Homecall.

V8grunt, thanks, (and urie),
Like urie above I've the Huawei HG635 TT router, so I presume they will send me out a new one with the fibre, do you know if the 5ghz on the hub is sh*t on them all, or were you just unlucky? If them all then I'll badger them for one that has it working.
I think the HG635 router does support normal and fibre broadband. The Hub (when it works) is far better though. It may have been a dodgy router as my old Hub which is over a year old works flawlessly. If you look on the TT community help page forum you will see a lot of recent posts moaning about their new Hub

Hi Guys, I previously posted about getting fibre broadband and isps advice. Now Openreach has released our cabinet to the new fibre I'd appreciate if I could be advised of anything to look out for re using my firestick for iptv.

As I'm in a contract the cheapest option for me is TT to upgrade to fibre, which is ok by me, but:
does the firestick work with the fibre router the same as the adsl router I have just now? (apart from changing the router password as usual)
Anything else I need to change or be careful about?

My provider's iptv works well and is stable at the moment, and I'd expect switching to fibre wouldn't make a difference, am I right in t i

I was advised after having problems with my HG 635 TT router to change the DNS to Google's DNS and the problem with my IPTV went away also turned off their Home safe service which caused problems IPTV wise and turned off Auto help.I did have connection wifi issues also but changed to hard wiring with Ethernet connector and problem went away I also run behind a VPN and after playing around with different servers I found UK based one giving me over 68 MB download which is more than enough.

You have a few Dns options on the router.Most tend to use one which comes pre set
That;s true enough.but I was new to the game years ago and as the advice I was given as never let me down I had no need to change it and only offer the advice I was first given that proved trouble free,but TT was problematic back then maybe things have moved on .emoji_clap

I think the HG635 router does support normal and fibre broadband. The Hub (when it works) is far better though. It may have been a dodgy router as my old Hub which is over a year old works flawlessly. If you look on the TT community help page forum you will see a lot of recent posts moaning about their new Hub
I have TT fibre thats what I was saying I have the HG635 router , but can't remember if I had the router with normal broadband or whether TT gave me it when I got fibre never had any problems with it.
From what I have read it is better than the HG633 that TT replaced it with.

I have TT fibre thats what I was saying I have the HG635 router , but can't remember if I had the router with normal broadband or whether TT gave me it when I got fibre never had any problems with it.
From what I have read it is better than the HG633 that TT replaced it with.
I have both the HG635 that was supplied from TT a year or so back and as it is classed as an ADSL/FIBRE dual router they never replaced it with the HG 633 which you rightly point out was/is inferior to the HG635 I acquired privately a New HG 633 to use as a wifi extender but then I hardwired my Firestick using the Amazon Ethernet Adaptor instead which is the much better option,and I remarked in an earlier post I'm getting 68mb download using Nord VPN so Happy as the Proverbial Pig in Sh*t

68mb lucky you :smiley: im only on TT normal fibre 19mb :confused: ( on wirless via laptop ) i'm sure it used to be higher wIl make any difference I may backup router config and try it.

68mb lucky you :smiley: im only on TT normal fibre 19mb :confused: ( on wirless via laptop ) i'm sure it used to be higher wIl make any difference I may backup router config and try it.
I normally switch my router off for 30 minutes to clear it's cache once a month(some say its a recommended thing to do to keep DL speed at a better level)

Thanks guys for all the replies, I've learned a few things.
Being late to all this technical stuff, I've never turned off my router as grouser suggested above, except when wifi stalls occasionally. Changing DNS as moshibeth suggested is bordering on alchemy in my state of knowledge, as is backing up the router config, urie. I will look up all these things, thanks.
I've lived by the maxim of don't touch any settings, which is probably what the isps hope most of the luddites like me will do.

Latest laugh from TT is that Openreach say the fibre is live to my local, the comparison sites' checkers all say the same, but TT's checker says it isn't available yet as there is no fibre in my area:rage: Will get this sorted when I get time on the Cray supercomputer to track down a live support person who doesn't start by telling me that I'm "talking to Stormzy" today, and also hopefully someone at TT who gives a sh**.

I wish I was joking bazcfc1, I had that in a real conversation previously...pleasant chap though who could take a joke, sod all use at sorting the problem, but a good guy nevertheless..............unless Stormzy was moonlighting in TT's Mumbai Call Centre? Who's to know......I'll phone tomorrow and ask for Banksy, he'll know!

Back