Gutter - water overflowing!

36red

In the kitchen and heard the sound of rain landing on the conservatory roof. Investigated as it's not raining and water was overflowing from the house roof gutter and landing on the conservatory.

Obviously something is blocking the gutter. Now I dont have ladders long enough to get up there but am thinking I can make some kind of hook on the end of a stick and reach out of bedroom window to try and clear the gutter blockage. Anyone ever attempted this kinda stunt?

How is it overflowing if it's not raining?
You need a ladder or get someone to have a look.
The blockage won't be where it's overflowing, it will be further away.
It's overflowing from its lowest point, the blockage could be ten feet away in either direction

Yes while it is not raining it was snowing earlier and the sun has come out so its melted. Yes will work from the downpipe first.

I am the window cleaner lol

Think I will find an old mop and make a hook to affix on the end and go up the ladders as high as bedroom window then hold the stick up and try to get it into the gutter to remove the crap.

Think I will find an old mop and make a hook to affix on the end and go up the ladders as high as bedroom window then hold the stick up and try to get it into the gutter to remove the crap.
Check the downpipe first.
It could be blocked anywhere so check joints to see if there's water seeping out, if there is, the blockage is lower down the pipe.
You may be able to "rod" it if you can separate the pipe in the middle.
Use a bamboo cane or similar.
If it's one long length it may be blocked at the top or bottom, give it a good hiding with your hand and it may shift dead leaves etc

Yes my down pipe is split in the middle to access next doors conservatory gutter.
I have had rat problems so maybe a dead rat stuck in the gutter or downpipe?

Yes my down pipe is split in the middle to access next doors conservatory gutter.
I have had rat problems so maybe a dead rat stuck in the gutter or downpipe?

You should be able to direct the hose pipe right above the down pipe and check if the water flows down at what looks like the rate it should.

Thanks, I will make a device to use from half way up my ladder, just need to make space for water to flow down the drainpipe. Not arse about actually cleaning the crap out of the gutter as its too high up and risky for me.

Back