HD channels the facts

simonb

This is taken from another forum

I'm part of some private communities for Sky, were given more information than the public, some of which can be conveyed to the public, used to fix faults and help inform them ect.
The rest is subject to NDA so can't be disclosed, such as some things which are being worked on.

I have a table listing what channels will be updated when, this is because there's a possibility that some people may loose access to the HD channels when the encryption changes even if they have a compatible box, this will happen if the there viewing card wasn't correctly paired during the first phase. These people need to be prompted to phone Sky and have there viewing card repaired.

The Thomson boxes will also permanently loose the HD channels which use the new pairing mechanism. So subscription customers with one of these boxes will need to be prompted to phone sky and arrange for a free replacement.
Sky's also started displaying an on screen message regularly on the old Thomson HD boxes prompting them to phone Sky for a replacement.

I don't think I should post the exact dates ect, but I will say that itv2 HD, itv3HD and itv4HD are on the table for the same date to be updated to the new encryption. ItvHD isn't on the table.

Interestingly BTSport isn't on the table.

The above post followed this (and he was asked to reveal his source which is why he posted the above):

The last batch of customer HD channels to make the switch will be on Thursday 26th June if all goes to plan which it looks as though it is doing. There's 5 other batches before then though.

The switchover actually started on the 1st April but it was just Sky Insider that made the switch.

He also posted this:
I'm not aware of there being any plans to migrate SD channels to the new system.

The supported HD boxes are the only boxes which have the Receiver ID and associated software on them to support the new system.

If they wanted to implement the new pairing/encryption system on the old SD boxes they would need to develop it for the old OpenTV middleware and update the SD boxes.

The whole thing's been a long time in the works, the Receiver ID was added in the R005 software if I remember correctly.
I'm sure Sky has some secret plan for the future.

And he confirmed that the 5 batches of channels will be going on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Last edited:
thanks for the info , also heard on another tech forum someone is already testing a fix i hope that goes well but you know the internet full of rumours .

This is taken from another forum

I'm part of some private communities for Sky, were given more information than the public, some of which can be conveyed to the public, used to fix faults and help inform them ect.
The rest is subject to NDA so can't be disclosed, such as some things which are being worked on.

I have a table listing what channels will be updated when, this is because there's a possibility that some people may loose access to the HD channels when the encryption changes even if they have a compatible box, this will happen if the there viewing card wasn't correctly paired during the first phase. These people need to be prompted to phone Sky and have there viewing card repaired.

The Thomson boxes will also permanently loose the HD channels which use the new pairing mechanism. So subscription customers with one of these boxes will need to be prompted to phone sky and arrange for a free replacement.
Sky's also started displaying an on screen message regularly on the old Thomson HD boxes prompting them to phone Sky for a replacement.

I don't think I should post the exact dates ect, but I will say that itv2 HD, itv3HD and itv4HD are on the table for the same date to be updated to the new encryption. ItvHD isn't on the table.

Interestingly BTSport isn't on the table.

The above post followed this (and he was asked to reveal his source which is why he posted the above):

The last batch of customer HD channels to make the switch will be on Thursday 26th June if all goes to plan which it looks as though it is doing. There's 5 other batches before then though.

The switchover actually started on the 1st April but it was just Sky Insider that made the switch.

He also posted this:
I'm not aware of there being any plans to migrate SD channels to the new system.

The supported HD boxes are the only boxes which have the Receiver ID and associated software on them to support the new system.

If they wanted to implement the new pairing/encryption system on the old SD boxes they would need to develop it for the old OpenTV middleware and update the SD boxes.

The whole thing's been a long time in the works, the Receiver ID was added in the R005 software if I remember correctly.
I'm sure Sky has some secret plan for the future.

And he confirmed that the 5 batches of channels will be going on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

So HD not coming back that correct info u saying simon? Just SD able to watch?

Back