HD Recovery

PreacherUK

I had a Buffalo NAS Drive, that died one day. I had a lot of stuff on it, though luckily the most important stuff was backed up I had a few things not. Obviously being NAS it ran a version of LINUX. Buffalo have been use;ess in assisting so I have tried almost every program available to recover whatever I can. The disk seems to lack a boot sector, but I don't want to reformat as it might corrupt anything that is there. Anyone know of any software I could try or any way I can try to recover the files I have currently lost?

The disk in a device like that would not ordinarily be bootable, and instead is just used for storage. (The device itself boots off of an area of solid state "disk" on the board of the device - effectively an embedded type system much like many appliances).
If it is a Linux of some sort, the chances of Windoze or a Mac being able to read the disk is remote at best, so it probably depends upon what machinery in terms of a computer/s that you have about you.
If you have a desktop or laptop running Linux already, then just mount the disk to a spare bay of the machine, or use a USB caddy.
If Windows and you have a PC with a spare bay, mount the disk in it, or alternatively, if you have a USB caddy, mount the disk to that. Then download one of the Linux distributions (say Ubuntu or Mint for example), and then make a bootable USB stick of the Linux distro (using say Rufus or Balena Etcher) and run it "live", (ie just boot the machine off of the Linux USB stick temporarily) and then examine the storage disk from there; recover any files etc.

I had a Buffalo NAS Drive, that died one day. I had a lot of stuff on it, though luckily the most important stuff was backed up I had a few things not. Obviously being NAS it ran a version of LINUX. Buffalo have been use;ess in assisting so I have tried almost every program available to recover whatever I can. The disk seems to lack a boot sector, but I don't want to reformat as it might corrupt anything that is there. Anyone know of any software I could try or any way I can try to recover the files I have currently lost?
I have used Ext2explore in the past to recover content from linux partitions
3 Ways to Access Your Linux Partitions From Windows

Back