Help needed for V8s instructions please totally new to this.

Strix

Hi all sorry for the noob question as brought this V8s for my ageing parents to replace their S*Y box that is no longer used as paid subscriptions etc and just FTA.
Ok I knew nothing of this type of box until it arrived two days ago, so far all I have done or know as follows:
1:Unpacked plugged in and turned on
2:grin:eleted all channels and rescanned SKY UK 28A (Mid Wales) FTA on blind scan

Checked software version in menu which says.
1: Main chip ALI HD 3511
2:3511HD_10_08_2015_06B7

Not sure what latest version software is as only have mobile internet where they are and can't plug in any router etc so unsure if this can be updated via WiFi ? Can I plug in a USB WiFi dongle and connect to my iPad to flash it? Or it says 3G?

Last Bugging question FTA on blind scan left me with upto 4 or 5 duplicated channels like ITV or BBC1 etc can I remove duplicates easily or is it one by one?

Thanks all, once I learn something new I do help others out with what I have been taught then.

Thanks in adavance

Strix

Thanks for the fast reply.

I know nothing other than what's in the next to useless supplied instructions in the box, I presumed stupidly it was just a a HD FTA SAT BoX and a quick power down, swap out the old SD one for this one and power, then scan channels and bobs your uncle, but clearly not and my bad in a rush to go away ordered it without fully reading any reviews.

So now it's in and working other than any firmware updates and for example 6 Ch4 duplicates lol, it will be ok for them when cleaned up a bit, I admit I should of looked into it more but was running around up my own rear to go away and parents nagging me to get it replaced.

I personally run a few Rpi's for various viewing and other hobbies so not a noob to tech stuff and to be fair seems to do what they want apart from the poor instructions.
That I can deal with once I learn a bit more about it and rewrite basic usage instructions for them once sorted as the will only operate it not upgrade or mess with settings.

How does this gift or line work please? Or is it just too much hassle to keep adding as I read it drops out now and then.

Again thanks in advance
Strix

before you do or buy anything else i suggest you read afew posts in the openbox section, alot of channels are no longer available , what will your parents want it for?

Just read reapers guide via the link above. Then ask if you're unsure about anything. Or search this sub forum as there's nothing you can think of that hasn't been asked before.

before you do or buy anything else i suggest you read afew posts in the openbox section, alot of channels are no longer available , what will your parents want it for?
Just for FTA but if they could get some of the scambled channels that would be great

I have brought the V8s back to my house and connected via Ethernet, when i go to the upgrade by network option it comes up with three downloads,
1.openbox v6s v8s 3511HD cmt 1612
2.openbox v8se 3511hd cmt 161208H
3.skybox v6 v8 3511hd cmt 1606300
Am i correct in choosing #1 v6s v8s etc?????
TIA

Yes and no. Yes because you obviously choose the one pertinent to your box. And no because you already have the latest firmware. There's been no firmware updates for coming up to 2 years!

Use the 'upgrade by network' feature for you TP lists.

i went for #1 and seems to be slightly newer than previous firmware and rebooted ok.
now trying to get wifi working but can't see it in my router so can't find the IP or MAC as AUTO DNS is not picking it up

yes i have popped in the usb dongle i use for my laptop but can't seem to get it to pick up in the router, the wifi is active but not finding device

I have brought the V8s back to my house and connected via Ethernet, when i go to the upgrade by network option it comes up with three downloads,
1.openbox v6s v8s 3511HD cmt 1612
2.openbox v8se 3511hd cmt 161208H
3.skybox v6 v8 3511hd cmt 1606300
Am i correct in choosing #1 v6s v8s etc?????
TIA
Yes it's the right one, but it wont make any difference to the box, I think what you are looking for is a channel list, go back to the "upgrade by network", then down to "TP PROG" and load the UK channel list.

arrrrrgh got wrong dongle it's Bluetooth not wifi, sorry i will have to get another ordered, thanks for your help.

Back