HD51 4K Help - Which Setup?

Farb

Okay, this is my first time so please excuse me if I'm repeating previous posts...

My intention is to buy my own box and line and download a build...

I've read the terminology so understand a little more than I did before my lunch and I've read the buyers guide too.

So, had a search for a box and these two fall into my budget..

- Mutant HD1500 HD H.265 HEVC Linux Enigma2 Twin Tuner DVB-S/S2 Digital Satellite Receiver
- Edision OS MINI 2x DVB-S/S2 Linux Enigma 2 Twin Tuner Digital Satellite Receiver HD 1080p PVR

Which would be my best bet?

Dunno much about edision but just installed a mutant in a friend's house and it's really good. Dual core which helps it boot really fast plus you get full vix support. For £99 it's a good deal. Only downside is only one usb port.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can use one usb port for external hard drive to store recordings etc and other one to flash the box with image and backups.

Hi, I have or had both, I would get the edison out of they two...the remote is really cheap feeling on the mutant, I seen you mentioned you were going to put a "build" on it.....do you mean someone's back up from here or are you going to set up from scratch? As much as I won't recommend them the zgemma has the most back ups available if your going to buy a box to flash someone's image on it to get you up and running.
Best satisfaction is buying a box and doing it yourself, means you get to learn about your box too.
Its just handy to have two USB's, for example I like to make USB stick backups of my images so easy to reflash already with my setup, on the mutant I have to unplug my HDD and insert a USB stick and do the back up and then re-insert my HDD, no biggy but annoying, or a wifi dongle needed? Edison has this built in, or some people like a USB stick for EPG and Picons and HDD for recording and timeshift...I'm sure there's other scenario's for 2 USB slots but thats the ones that I would use, the remote on the edison although not brilliant its better than the mutant one.

I agree with gmangt4.

There doesn't seem much difference in the speed and the specs are slightly different
but the mutant I set up had the same remote and it was the first thing that struck
me, it just felt a bit cheap and nasty.

The older box had a plastic casing as opposed to a metal one, which from the pictures
it looks like they have changed, that made the last model look a bit cheap too.

Must say though the box worked fine it just wasn't the best looking thing I have seen lol

Which ever one you get order it pre flashed with Openvix and follow the guide here

Last edited:
I seen you mentioned you were going to put a "build" on it.....do you mean someone's back up from here or are you going to set up from scratch? As much as I won't recommend them the zgemma has the most back ups available if your going to buy a box to flash someone's image on it to get you up and running.

Was hoping to download/purchase someone else's back up.
I take it then that they are specific to the receiver being used.. ??

Am I going to struggle as a first timer setting up from scratch?

The two boxes you mentioned are officially supported by Openvix
so most people set their box up from scratch as the guide will work know matter what make or model
you buy.

Zgemma boxes usually use backups, which will partially set up the box for you. The backups are made for
specific models of Zgemma.
You then have to enter your line details in to the box and switch on the softcam.

You should be ok setting up a box from scratch, after all everyone on here had to set up a box for the first time at some stage.

There is plenty of help about (y)

I could upload my mutant setup to help you but you would have to change region etc. Pm if that would help you. As for cheap looking, mutant have changed the cover to metal and the remote is about the same as a zgemma maybe a little better

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Okay thanks..

Looks like it might hurt my head a little but this is better than buying a pre-loaded zgemma right?

Last edited:
Personally, I like the Openvix Image and they have blocked Zgemma from using the online plugins
as it's not officially supported by them.

If you use an OpenATV based image you still get the online facility for the Zgemma.

Online updates are very handy and you get a two year Warranty with official boxes.

Lets put it this way, there aren't many people who use officially supported boxes rushing out to buy a Zgemma lol

There is a request thread here

Read the Advisory !!!

Okay.
I've ordered the Edison OS Mini pre flashed with openvix, will be delivered tomorrow.
Is it simply a case of plugging it all in and following the guide mentioned above?
How long should I expect it to take me to get set up, assuming all goes well of course?
When should I order my line test? On the day I'm going to try and set up or should I wait until i get to that step?
So many questions !!!
:faint:

Okay.
I get as far as scanning for channels but get the message cannot read data...

Anyone any ideas?

Please...

I have just got a edison mini for a friend as it has built in wifi. I personally own a venton eco however the edison was quicker to set up, the remote is better and more responsive and the other bonus is 1080p setting. All other enigma2 features work well on it.

Okay.
I get as far as scanning for channels but get the message cannot read data...

Anyone any ideas?

Please...

did you follow bees guide in setting up box on provider to scan on,and i hope your cables are inserted correctly.

did you follow bees guide in setting up box on provider to scan on,and i hope your cables are inserted correctly.

Hi.
Yes, I think..
Ran the scan a few more times and got up and running.

Thanks for the reply.

All good so far, seems a little untidy so need to do a bit tweaking I think.

I think I may have done something wrong with the EPG setup, I don't get the titles of the shows on the Sly channels..

Is this normal?

---------- Post Merged at 10:20 AM ----------

I have just got a edison mini for a friend as it has built in wifi. I personally own a venton eco however the edison was quicker to set up, the remote is better and more responsive and the other bonus is 1080p setting. All other enigma2 features work well on it.

It did seem straight forward to me, not sure if I got it 100% though..
:o)

as i said follow bees setup step by step unless your using wrong sat.
Got it sorted this evening with some extremely persistent help..

All good here, thanks to all that contributed..

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Back