Help with replacing BT Hub Router

dx052

I have one of those BT home hub routers but I am looking put my VPN on a third party router, can I just replace the BT router with this one or do I have plug the third party router into the BT Hub? sorry never done this before!!

i use vpn software on my android and pc . i dont need to use a vpn on my bt router. putting it on your router will probably slow your whole system down as everything will then go through the router, phones, tablets tv etc. . you can use an asus router which shouldnt cost so much . on the other hand you can buy a cheap router set up vpn on it, and plug it into one port of your hub. anything you want to vpn could then go through the cheap router. FYI i have one of these for emergencies... Robot Check

If your thinking of using a VPN just put it on the devices that need it as @myars has said putting it through your router will slow dowm the whole network.

You can get a free spider VPN router which will connect to your home hub which you can turn on and off as you need it.

I have one of those BT home hub routers but I am looking put my VPN on a third party router, can I just replace the BT router with this one or do I have plug the third party router into the BT Hub? sorry never done this before!!

Yes you would just plug the VPN router into the bt hub. Then just connect the devices you want on the vpn to that. Needs to have a decent processor to handle the encryption or it will slow your speed down.

I have the ASU’s router plugged straight into the wall and bypass the BT Hub all together. I can put my VPN settings onto my router but even with a good VPN your WiFi speed drops like a ton of bricks and defeats the object of having decent WiFi speeds, so it all works but at a cost.

I have the ASU’s router plugged straight into the wall and bypass the BT Hub all together. I can put my VPN settings onto my router but even with a good VPN your WiFi speed drops like a ton of bricks and defeats the object of having decent WiFi speeds, so it all works but at a cost.

Does the speed drop below a level that you can stream fhd iptv with though? That'd be the benchmark for most, I'd imagine.

Does the speed drop below a level that you can stream fhd iptv with though? That'd be the benchmark for most, I'd imagine.
Fair point I haven’t been watching IPTV recently as I have been using it to watch Hulu mainly. But my speeds have been going from around 38mb down to about 8mb shared across 6 devices when I use my router with the vpn

I would only use a seperate VPN router if you absolutely have to, as it will really hammer your speeds.

Fair point I haven’t been watching IPTV recently as I have been using it to watch Hulu mainly. But my speeds have been going from around 38mb down to about 8mb shared across 6 devices when I use my router with the vpn

I'm assuming you've tried connecting to different vpn servers?

I would only use a seperate VPN router if you absolutely have to, as it will really hammer your speeds.

It baffles me why anyone would buy a vpn router. You can buy a new iptv device that a vpn app can be put directly onto cheaper than you can buy a vpn router.

It baffles me why anyone would buy a vpn router. You can buy a new iptv device that a vpn app can be put directly onto cheaper than you can buy a vpn router.
I agree if you use a app on your device you should not notice much difference. Where as if you add a VPN to the router it will hammer your whole network.

Back