Help with watching SKY abroad please

Hello lovely people! I have a small question. I currently reside abroad in EU (Austria) and I'd love to watch some proper British horse racing. I have a dish but this has not been positioned correctly yet (reckon I might give that a go myself).

However, regarding sky, can I just buy any old box from ebay? Some are being sold with viewing cards too...and this is where I get completely lost....

The channel for horse racing is Racing TV and that somehow requires an extra subscription, but again I am clueless. Is there any lovely person out there that can give me a bit of advice?

Thank you very much in advance!

Not sure if the Sky footprint reaches as far as Austia! If it does, Racing UK is still available on cardshare using a basic box. However. Get yourself a cheap firestick and IPTV subscription and you can have Racing UK. Sky Sports Racing and dozens of other sports channels.

Thank you for this! I heard that IPTV has a bigger delay compared to sat tv? Also quick question, what do you mean by cardshare?

Card sharing is the way of sharing paid tv via satellite/cable. Iptv is streaming via the Internet.

A decent iptv sub will stream channels, in my experience, a minute-two minutes behind live action. That'll be an issue with the horse racing if you like to bet in running.

You can get sky uk is austria but you will need a large satellite dish. What size is yours ??

Sky TV reception in Austria requires a 2.4m - 3m dish. In Switzerland our recommendation is to try a 1.3m satellite dish, which should provide good reception of most Astra 28.2E channels. Reliable reception of Astra 2D is possible in the Salzburg area with a 1.8m dish. Further east the city of Linz requires a larger 2.4m dish.

Read more: Sky TV Reception Advice, Dish Sizes for Sky Digital in Europe

Sky TV reception in Austria requires a 2.4m - 3m dish. In Switzerland our recommendation is to try a 1.3m satellite dish, which should provide good reception of most Astra 28.2E channels. Reliable reception of Astra 2D is possible in the Salzburg area with a 1.8m dish. Further east the city of Linz requires a larger 2.4m dish.

Read more: Sky TV Reception Advice, Dish Sizes for Sky Digital in Europe

Yes for the UK spot beam for Freesat you need a large dish, but for the European beam on the Astra 2 craft not so big.

Back