Hey, Microsoft.

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
How ’bout allowing the music player to view music based on the PC’s folder structure?

I currently use Windows Media Player 11 to stream movies, TV Programmes & music from my PC (XP Pro) to my Xbox 360 & from that point of view everything is working flawlessly.

My issue is this,

All my movies & TV shows are arranged in folders on my PC & appear exactly like that on the Xbox too, however, all my music is arranged in folders on my PC too but they do not display this way on the Xbox

All my music appears on the Xbox as one huge list of songs listed by artist.

How can I get my music to display on the Xbox exactly as the are arranged on my PC (in folders)?

-

hi G, not too sure about that one, i use microsofts zune to stream the music to the xbox but i just create playlists to keep them organised or else do a shuffle on the whole lot.
Zune i think anyway is much neater and easier to use

what file format do you use to stream movies to the xbox? havent tried that yet

i dont go through the media center either i just select music from My Xbox selection

All my movies are in AVI format & stream flawlessly to the Xbox via WMP11.

Depending on the codecs used I have come across a situation where an AVI wouldn't play on the Xbox, let me explain,

All of my downloaded movies (and I mean all) play fine on the Xbox, but if I use Vdownloader to down a Youtube Vid in AVI format it won't play on the Xbox. I've solved that by passing the Youtube Vids through Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate using the following settings and then they play without problem (only takes a couple of minutes for a Youtube Vid).

xillisoft.jpg

-

do you go through the media center or just select them from videos on my xbox?

that media center plays up on me now and then.

hmmm, zune wont do avi's, back to wmp11 i think for vids.

for streaming video what settings do you use in wmp11 or do you add the vids to a folder?

Last edited:
do you go through the media center or just select them from videos on my xbox?

that media center plays up on me now and then.

hmmm, zune wont do avi's, back to wmp11 i think for vids.

for streaming video what settings do you use in wmp11 or do you add the vids to a folder?

No, I don't use Media Center axxxo, I just select from the Vid's on my PC.

Once setup, your PC will show in the Xbox Dashboard.

I have them set nicely in folders for Movies, Documentaries, Youtube etc on my PC & they display exactly as is on the Xbox (that's the way I like it).

I have already posted on how to set it all up & you can find that post HERE:

Let me know if you have any other questions?

-

ah sweet, cheers !

I forgot to mention earlier that the ability to play AVI's through WMP11 to the Xbox has only recently been implemented by Microsoft & it works really well on the few systems I set it up on.

@ axxxo

Check this out if you get a chance.

-

Last edited:
just got that xilisoft you were talking about, for some reason the xbox is not picking up the folders i add with avi video, uninstalled zune and added folders to wmp11.

so i tried media center, i added film to my public folder, it picks them up, shows a picture of the film but wont play,file type is not recognised or file is corrupt pops up.
using xilisoft now to convert them to xbox 360 MCE avi video to see if that works, cant find microsoft file sharing and printing in services and in wmp11 the configure sharing is blanked out for some reason, more than likely something i did lol

network sharing is switched on also.

ill definately give the tversity a go too!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
just got that xilisoft you were talking about, for some reason the xbox is not picking up the folders i add with avi video, uninstalled zune and added folders to wmp11.

so i tried media center, i added film to my public folder, it picks them up, shows a picture of the film but wont play,file type is not recognised or file is corrupt pops up.
using xilisoft now to convert them to xbox 360 MCE avi video to see if that works, cant find microsoft file sharing and printing in services and in wmp11 the configure sharing is blanked out for some reason, more than likely something i did lol

network sharing is switched on also.

ill definately give the tversity a go too!

What OS are you using axxxo?

You shouldn't be having those problems?

-

on vista home premium, i messed around with a few things a while back, i sniff a reinstall comin up! haha

quick tip if anyones going to give TVersity a go and are using vista, the dam UAC has to be switched off to install, running a few things at the mo so its gonna have to wait

on vista home premium, i messed around with a few things a while back, i sniff a reinstall comin up! haha

quick tip if anyones going to give TVersity a go and are using vista, the dam UAC has to be switched off to install, running a few things at the mo so its gonna have to wait

I've only set the streaming up on XP but will check it out on Vista later.

-

wish i could help g, i use tyversity, but they need to make the whole process easier and more tweakable imo.

Back