Higgins: UK Championship is finest hour

anto1969

Super Moderator
Staff member
TK Supporter
Higgins: UK Championship is finest hour

45.jpg

Monday, 13 December 2010 07:28
John Higgins admitted he was 'a man on a mission' after claiming his third 12bet.com UK Championship crown in dramatic fashion.
Higgins recovered from 9-5 down to defeat Mark Williams 10-9 in the final in Telford.
It was his first major tournament triumph since serving a six-month ban for bringing the game into disrepute.

But Higgins had also stated his desire to lift the crown for his dad, John senior, who is losing his five-year battle against cancer.

He got his wish and struggled to contain the tears after crossing the finishing line.

Higgins said: 'I was a man on a mission. I was really determined to try and stop anything which prevented me from winning it. Given everything that surrounds it, this is my finest hour on the table.
'It means everything, just to be back playing and winning. It means a great deal. Obviously it means a great deal to my family as well.'
Higgins added: 'I just never gave up. I thought 9-5 was too big a mountain but each frame was going past and I was still in it. It is an unbelievable feeling.'
Williams paid tribute to Higgins' fighting qualities.

He said: 'John done well to come back to be fair to him. I felt the gods were against me on a couple of occasions but I have got no complaints overall.
'I have been pretty dreadful all week. That was probably the best match I played all week. The best player in the tournament won but I had a chance to nick it and probably threw it away.'
Higgins was on the brink of defeat after trailing 7-2 and then 9-5 in the best of 19 final.

But he showed nerves of steel in adding to his 1998 and 2000 triumphs in dramatic fashion.

Source: rte.ie

Back