High frequency channels no signal Vm channels

AdrianTur

I hope someone with some technical experience can advise.
Main issue is that all channels on frequencies above 650mhz (eg mtv hd, bt sport channels 2,3, ss football etc) have very low signal(SNR) or dont work at all. All other channels work absolutely fine. It seems that the higher the frequency the lower the signal becomes. I can confirm i have all the best equipment with wf100 webro cables, compression fittings 5-1000mhz splitter so that's not the issue. The issue is from the vm street hub not sending a powerful enough signal. To fix this i purchased a Konig amplifier from ebay that increases the signal which fixed the issue and all chamnels on higher than 650mhzto work as well even if they are to the limit of pixelation(aprox 70% snr).
The issue with this Konig amplifier is that it messes up my broadband connection by destabilising the downstream and upstream power of the VM Hub which makes it reset or lose connection completely. I verified all this over and over and as soon as i remove the amplifier from the equation, the modem/broadband if within ideal downstream and upstream power levels and internet is flawless. I also spoke to VM support while having the amplifier connected and they confirmed that the power coming into the hub is not within correct parameters and will send an engineer tomorrow to fix this. Now the problem is we are not allowed to tamper with the vm equipment including adding splitters, cables or even worse amplifiers. Sonif the engineer sees my amplifier it will be a problem and if I remove the amp before he comes then the power levels will be normal thus not needing to adjust/increase power levels so that high frequency channels work without my amp. ImportsImto note i only hav VM broadband package no TV. Any advice? I'm thinking to cancel the visit as there is no point or solutoonto this. HELP

Difficult Fault to be sure and i have had the same problem myself in the end my fault turned out to be the F to Belling lee adapter that had gone bad -The inner pin is 2 parts pressed together not solid, Worth changing just to make sure.

where have you connected the amp? Is it before or after the splitter? Should go after the splitter on the line to the box so that you're not affecting the hub. Out of interest what box are you running?

Difficult Fault to be sure and i have had the same problem myself in the end my fault turned out to be the F to Belling lee adapter that had gone bad -The inner pin is 2 parts pressed together not solid, Worth changing just to make sure.
Thanks for the advice, I checked it out and it did seem a bit loose inside. I changed it but maybe gained 1% snr 2% at most...

where have you connected the amp? Is it before or after the splitter? Should go after the splitter on the line to the box so that you're not affecting the hub. Out of interest what box are you running?
So that's what I did initially, I put it after the splitter only on the cable leading to my zgemma h2h box. That only brings the problematic channels from 0% snr to 64%. Which means they still don't work. When i add it before the splitter(main cable coming from outside) I get 70-71% on the same channels. From your advice i get same impression that maybe becoz I only have broadband with them, the the signal is not calibrated for tv viewing?! not sure ....

I wouldn't have thought only having Broadband would have caused the problem otherwise there would be quite a few complaining on the forum.
However the VM side of it might be the problem and needs recalibrating by there engineer. ~ Keep us posted Bud.

Will update for sure but my worry is that the engineer will come in the house to inspect equipment and i have to remove amplifier, splitter, additional cable feed and move modem back to main feed. As i can't have them see my setup.
If I do all this, the modem will then register normal power in downstream and upstream and he won't need to calibrate anything. I can't say to him can you increase the signal from the street box since the modem will work fine... Sigh

Adrian, why don't you get a TV minimum package from VM and see if things are resolved then you can always cancel within the month cool off period.

Will update for sure but my worry is that the engineer will come in the house to inspect equipment and i have to remove amplifier, splitter, additional cable feed and move modem back to main feed. As i can't have them see my setup.
If I do all this, the modem will then register normal power in downstream and upstream and he won't need to calibrate anything. I can't say to him can you increase the signal from the street box since the modem will work fine... Sigh
Don't you have access to another Box to try just incase it's a weak tuner.

i would have thought splitter is first in line and amp is on cable box end and on other split you have your hub,curious if your are using it in wifi mode or modem mode?

Don't you have access to another Box to try just incase it's a weak tuner.
Unfortunately I don't. Would have been a good to test that as well. Wouldn't all channels have a weak signal and not only the ones on high frequency? It seems direct proportional when inspecting closer - channels on low frequencies have highest SNR and the higher the frequency the SNR becomes lower Up until 0% SNR on channels above 700mhz like btsports 2,3 , mtv hd, etc...

i would have thought splitter is first in line and amp is on cable box end and on other split you have your hub,curious if your are using it in wifi mode or modem mode?
Yeah I tried that but it amplified the SNR with around +4% SNR which didn't really improve much. I agree that would have been best not to affect the VM hub. But when I put it before the splitter I am able to see a lock on the high frequency channels but as mention it affects downstream upstream powers in the hub. I use it as modem + router and connected by network cable to box.

Yeah I tried that but it amplified the SNR with around +4% SNR which didn't really improve much. I agree that would have been best not to affect the VM hub. But when I put it before the splitter I am able to see a lock on the high frequency channels but as mention it affects downstream upstream powers in the hub. I use it as modem + router and connected by network cable to box.
What happens to the power levels levls with the amplifier? Post them up with the amplifier

Your levels are a bit hot. Try to limit your Downstream to no more than 5dBmv and your upstream power to no more than 50dBmv. You can try installing a 10dB attenuator pad at the modem side.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/391614621380

That's the amp. I also tried the 28db one which i returned because it was actually weaker than the 18db one.. strange.

The downstream power levels on most channels are +14dBmV and up to +19. Upstream power level 57dBmV
Adjust that dial on the booster until you start to loose the channels and then increase it abit until they stay. That should hopefully bring the power levels down abit. You can then get an attentuator as mentioned to bring the levels down further. A forward path attentuator will lower the power by the dB it’s got printed on it
Something like this
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNETIX-...849397&hash=item2a6ee77a39:g:axsAAOSw6n5XtxUL

Recently had signal issues. Mainly around the 400mhz ~ 500mhz frequencies . Turns out I need a repull. Due to council resurfacing the footway.

Check your router stats. Might be able to get virmin out to fix the fault.

Last edited:
Back