Home AV Distribution, whats the replacement for UHF?

Chaos

Now that the analogue UHF has gone what's left to replace it? Is there digital modulator option to broadcast DVB/T around the home using the standard coax, or some other method?

Any help would be appreciated especially as it might help narrow the choice for a new cable box.

Thanks in anticipation!

:dunno:

at the moment i am doing a bit what you might call over the top additions lol,the tvs i have all have a dtt tuner which i need to wire up,in the roof facing 3 rock i hope as its in the attic i have a digital aerial with a powered feed [ no power in attic yet ] which can split to 6 places it is a 6 way bi-directional tv amplifier by wolsey.in the kitchen which is slowly getting done up is tv on wall cables hidden under box panel consists of 2 hdmi modules, 2 f connector modules as one is for dtt and one for upc all in a double
faceplate.might be better to start afresh and run new cable from top of house to where you have boxes,you can get hd sat boxes with dtt tuners and if you had a fixed sat dish on astra it will give you freesat.
rumour out there may be a replacement box for digivoxt/boxt etc,until it happens who knows.

What I'd been told elsewhere

Thanx for reply. I had hoped to utilise the existing Coax UHF distribution system which already goes to each room via a loft amplifier and worked just fine (although admittedly in mono), prior to the retirement of analogue modulators in new equipment. Everything AV in the front room was assigned a UHF station and hey presto available in every other room.

You'd have thought with the superior qualities of coax cable, the fact that many people have an existing distribution system someone would have a solution to utilise it. A cheap digital DVB/T or T2 modulator would be fantastic and the chip sets don't appear too expensive.

However, I've since been told the only current solution is to replace the coax with CAT 5,6,or 7 cables, buy a gigabit managed switch, and then buy a £250 HDMI receiver for each room and another £250 transmitter for each device you want to simultaneous broadcast around the home.

This is apparently the "new" and "preferred" solution!!! And this is a step forward? Certainly not in price and complexity!!!!!

Just what's so wrong with modulating the output into a DVB/T2 signal. Even if it added too much the price of a DVD player for example, why aren't they available as an add-on?

Rant over.

Back