Honest New York cabbie

moh

Deleted, at user's request.
When an Italian grandmother accidentally left $21,000 (£13,000) cash in the back of a New York taxi, police said she should not get her hopes up.

Felicia Lettieri thought she had ruined her family's Christmas and her visit to America when she lost the money on December 24.

But cab driver Mukul Asaduzzaman had other ideas after he discovered an address in Mrs Lettieri's handbag.

article-1242595-07D52D62000005DC-822_468x286.jpg

'So kind': Taxi driver Mukul Asaduzzaman twice drove hours out of his way to return over £13,000 left in the back of his cab

article-1242595-07D5601E000005DC-95_468x268.jpg

The 28-year-old thought nothing of driving 60 miles to a house in the Long Island town of Patchogue.

When he discovered that no-one was home, Asaduzzaman left his mobile phone number and a note that said: 'Don't worry, Felicia... I'll keep it safe.'

The cab driver - a medical student from Queens, New York - returned to Manhattan but drove back to Long Island later that evening after Mrs Lettieri's relatives called.

Recalling the moment the 72-year-old discovered her loss, her sister Francesca Lettieri said: 'Everybody said, "This is New York. Forget about it. You lost everything".

Mr Asaduzzaman, who is originally from Bangladesh, even refused to accept a reward.

He told the New York Post: 'When I was five years old my mother told me, "Be honest, work hard and you will raise your station".'

'If it wasn't for him, it would be a miserable vacation,' said Francesca Lettieri. 'We really love what he did.'

Mrs Lettieri was in the U.S. visiting relatives and was carrying cash for the whole family. :)

Back