Windows 7 How do i go about backing up this HP laptop? [Urgent Help]

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
Right folks, so i've now got the HP G62 laptop [x64 Windows 7]. It looks good and works really quick. I've only just uninstalled Norton on there and was trying to get my backup stratergy sorted BEFORE i did anything with it i.e. installing new programs, shifting files on there and what not..

Well, kind of hit a problem. There are two partitions:

C: 280GB
D: [Recovery] 17GB (Only 2 GB is free, and i know this is a recovery partition and I must not use it for data storage because i may need it one day)

What i initally had in mind is that the D Drive would come seperately with atleast 50GB for personal use? So i can keep my important files off the partition with the OS installed?

So i thought to myself, ok, i'll run the Acronis Rescue CD to see what partitions it picks up...
Hit a problem with the disc, after the Acronis splash screen and then chosing to run Acronis, the screen then shortly goes blank, and does not do anything from there. The CD Drive also goes quiet as if no activity is going on at this stage. [CD works fine, have used it on laptop and PC [WinXP]

Couple of questions on my mind..

1) I really want a D Drive to store important files? Can I just use disk management to make a new drive of lets say 100GB? (Leaving the recovery (D:/) drive alone?

2) Would this potentially mess up the option F11 to boot up to HP recovery manager (which totally sucks as I can only backup files and NOT make a disk image, it only allows me to make a recovery set of DVD's (5) to store back to factory default state).

3) I'm dreading the idea of using Windows 7 built in backup, i want to use Acronis as long as it satisfies the following conditions: It does not screw around with the D Drive partition, i'm able to boot into recovery mode, and that i can make a seperate partition and just restore C when i need to incase i hit a major OS fault?

I'd like to get my backup stratergy sorted before attempting to use my laptop at all.. My head is in abit of a mess thinking about this for over an hour, so i come to my TK buddies for support.. :)

(the reason behind this is i may get extended guarantee, and if Acronis was working for me and i didn't want to get extended guarantee then i wouldn't worry so much about the recovery partition)

UPDATE:

I may have found a solution to my problem.

I've now gone to burning the 5 DVD's so i can keep them safe incase i need to factory reset.

What i then plan to do is make a different partition using the C drive space (shrink it and then use the unallocated space as a new partition).

Then i'm going to do windows 7 image backup and store these files on my newly created partition aswell as external HDD. [Will move important files off C Drive to keep the image file small.

Then i can either use the Windows 7 [F8] for restoring from the image OR if things go horribly wrong, i can put it back to factory state using the recovery DVD's i just created. :)

So at the moment its looking good, will use trial and error till i get there in the end. :)

I consider myself to be a complicated but confusing person, its just a load i need to get off my mind so i can move on with my life (yes it affects me that badly lol)

Last edited:
Dan as you are setting up from scratch i would recomend using revo uninstaller,to install your programs,it creates restore points and proper logs of where and what each program does and branches off to,it completely uninstalls any program your not happy with also

Cheers sinno, everything is working out, just finished with the restore DVD's and tomorrow my plan is to install my stuff, partition the hard drive, and make that Windows Backup. :) Will give revo installer a go to double check i've not missed anything, majority of the tools installed are HP related to provide the functionality of the laptop. Just hoping the Windows image back up doesn't take up too much space, Windows 7 uses quite alot of space to install as it is. :)

I checked out disk management and i can knock of 141GB max to make another partition, so i guess that is pretty good :)

If your going to make any partitions then make the partitions before installing anything.

Use this Easus to create your partitions, piece a p*ss to use and is very good also!

Its a good idea to have the dvd's for a backup but you could also store a backup for acronis on an external, bad idea to have a backup on a partition on the same hard drive incase something goes wrong!!!

Use this Easus to create your partitions, piece a p*ss to use and is very good also!
Dan i used this prog and if i can use it you can as Axxxo said its a p!$$ easy to use!

I changed my mind again, hit yet another technical glitch.

I want to keep the Recovery partition on the HP laptop, altough i've got a copy of the recovery DVD's i would just like to stay on the safe side. :)

I did use Easus Partition Manager, succesfully created unallocated space of 128GB to use as a different drive, however when i restarted, went back to the program to create a new partition on the unallocated space, the option wasn't there?

I then did abit of a search and found that Windows 7 only allows 4 primary partitions? Something amongst those lines. So what i did now is a factory default reset. I got Acronis working also by burning an iso to USB with the 2011 version this time instead of 2009.

I did also try using Disk Managment after creating the unallocated space with Easus but it was telling me that all partitions will be converted to dynamic and no OS will be able to boot? :dunno: Didn't sound good so i did not go for it.

Will use Acronis now to backup my drive, have an external hard drive also so will keep a backup of the image file on there. :)

Will just make do with the C Partition for now, a year later I may remove the recovery partition if I dont go with the extended guarantee. :)

Cheers for the help, appreciate it. ;)

Its a good idea to have the dvd's for a backup but you could also store a backup for acronis on an external, bad idea to have a backup on a partition on the same hard drive incase something goes wrong!!!

You beat me to it Axxxo, it's much better to use an external HD for backups, this just happened to one of the sons of a lady I work with, her son's laptop HD crashed (no boot file found) and of course he never did a back up, now they are bugging me to get them a copy of windows 7, I found them one but told them if they get busted they don't know me LOL

Back