How to check if your line server is a "local"?

Narmak

How to check if your line server is a "local"?

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well! I had a really quick question - I've had an Octagon SF8 for a few years now with SLY UK and it works great. Just upgraded to a Vu+Duo2 and looking for a new line when I came across the sticky where I read some tips on getting a new line. My queston is - how can I check to see whether the line I've purchased is indeed a "local"? I read something later in the thread about "HOP" which went a bit over my head. If you could forward me to some information even I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 02:53 PM ----------
Quote from the sticky:
First off the basics:

1. Should have positive feedback from people that can give you feedback of their services ( some servers are openly posted on a few well known sites, or are underground for word of month connections only)
  2. IMHO should have whats is called "locals" this to the Lehman is has "real subscription cards in a card reader server". There is a lot of servers out there that are just resellers and have no cards whatsoever and rely on connections to multiple servers via lines or cache. ( they may be good or not, but feedback from £30 a year sites have proven most go down or glitch a lot)
  3. To offer a 24 test or at lease if you buy a sub and time frame on refunds.
  4. Support via email/skype in a timely fashion ( we don't want to wait 24 hrs for a simple reply on help ) Some will offer teamviewer but may charge
  5. A break down or a site or even a email telling us what channels we can get for our money. A lot of servers don't offer PPV or xxx as a norm ( IMHO the ones who do don't have cards as this would costs 100`s of pounds a day to order all the PPV movies and are connected to loads of other servers who do )
  6. To offer discount on long term subs or a lot of boxes. ( please note some honest servers wont do more then a year sub and some only offer monthly subs to stop people complaining if gone within 6 months )
  7. PING times for the connection. ( this is both parties, you and them. We know a 2mb line min is needed for a connection to receive , even seen a 3g dongle used ) Anything over 250ms ping may give you glitches.
  8. Price for a good server? To me i started 2 years ago paying £20 a month and £120 a year. But prices have lowered, but think people a low low price does`nt mean a good server and to be honest sounds like to me that will be over sub-scripted . Do research and test a few at diff costs

Whilst I'm here - how can i check (presumably during the 24h test) what the ping is? (mine and theirs?)

Hi all,

Hope you're doing well! I had a really quick question - I've had an Octagon SF8 for a few years now with SLY UK and it works great. Just upgraded to a Vu+Duo2 and looking for a new line when I came across the sticky where I read some tips on getting a new line. My queston is - how can I check to see whether the line I've purchased is indeed a "local"? I read something later in the thread about "HOP" which went a bit over my head. If you could forward me to some information even I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 02:53 PM ----------
Quote from the sticky:
First off the basics:

1. Should have positive feedback from people that can give you feedback of their services ( some servers are openly posted on a few well known sites, or are underground for word of month connections only)
  2. IMHO should have whats is called "locals" this to the Lehman is has "real subscription cards in a card reader server". There is a lot of servers out there that are just resellers and have no cards whatsoever and rely on connections to multiple servers via lines or cache. ( they may be good or not, but feedback from £30 a year sites have proven most go down or glitch a lot)
  3. To offer a 24 test or at lease if you buy a sub and time frame on refunds.
  4. Support via email/skype in a timely fashion ( we don't want to wait 24 hrs for a simple reply on help ) Some will offer teamviewer but may charge
  5. A break down or a site or even a email telling us what channels we can get for our money. A lot of servers don't offer PPV or xxx as a norm ( IMHO the ones who do don't have cards as this would costs 100`s of pounds a day to order all the PPV movies and are connected to loads of other servers who do )
  6. To offer discount on long term subs or a lot of boxes. ( please note some honest servers wont do more then a year sub and some only offer monthly subs to stop people complaining if gone within 6 months )
  7. PING times for the connection. ( this is both parties, you and them. We know a 2mb line min is needed for a connection to receive , even seen a 3g dongle used ) Anything over 250ms ping may give you glitches.
  8. Price for a good server? To me i started 2 years ago paying £20 a month and £120 a year. But prices have lowered, but think people a low low price does`nt mean a good server and to be honest sounds like to me that will be over sub-scripted . Do research and test a few at diff costs

Whilst I'm here - how can i check (presumably during the 24h test) what the ping is? (mine and theirs?)

Any guidance would be really appreciated. Would rather not get screwed over by somebody!

If you don't want to get screwed over then just purchase monthly, plenty of line providers offer that option for very little money compared to paying sly TV. Your asking questions that aren't so important now adays, that thread is old and just some advice at the time, some still relevent parts not relevent.
Personally I think your over thinking your line, there is no perfect line even sly glitch sometimes, this is down to the weather blocking the signal to your dish plus there can be several reasons why a line would glitch and at the user end (your end) too so don't over think it. A line is a cheap way of getting all the channels, if you pay £20 to 50 and it last 6 months its still a bargin, think about what you would have to pay sly to get ALL the channels per month and then compare it to what your paying for your line, there is a huge difference.

Plus you have to remember this could all stop tomorrow, next week whenever, if sly manage to find away to encrypt SD channels the same way they have with HD channels then were are all returning to sly, its just the nature of the beast so to say. Best advice I can give you is to try some test lines, find the one your happy with, the one thats stable for what you want or what you can live with and a price your willing to pay and join that provider.

Good luck

Last edited:
If you don't want to get screwed over then just purchase monthly, plenty of line providers offer that option for very little money compared to paying sly TV. Your asking questions that aren't so important now adays, that thread is old and just some advice at the time, some still relevent parts not relevent.
Personally I think your over thinking your line, there is no perfect line even sly glitch sometimes, this is down to the weather blocking the signal to your dish plus there can be several reasons why a line would glitch and at the user end (your end) too so don't over think it. A line is a cheap way of getting all the channels, if you pay £20 to 50 and it last 6 months its still a bargin, think about what you would have to pay sly to get ALL the channels per month and then compare it to what your paying for your line, there is a huge difference.

Plus you have to remember this could all stop tomorrow, next week whenever, if sly manage to find away to encrypt SD channels the same way they have with HD channels then were are all returning to sly, its just the nature of the beast so to say. Best advice I can give you is to try some test lines, find the one your happy with, the one thats stable for what you want or what you can live with and a price your willing to pay and join that provider.

Good luck

Thanks, that's reassuring

Back