How to Convert a PowerPoint Presentation to Video For Free

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Converting a PowerPoint presentation, especially in situations when you don’t have Microsoft office installed on the laptop you’d use for delivering your presentation, and when you can’t use the internet either ( if you thought you would get it from your office web apps account ). Hence the presentation video in such situations is a lifesaver.

There are several nice tools available which let you convert a PowerPoint presentation to video format but most of them are paid.

AuthorStream is a nice website which can convert PowerPoint presentations into videos for FREE. Not only that, the videos can be sent to YouTube directly.

To use this tool, signup is required. You can use this tool without sign up too but the uploaded file will not be private and would be visible to everyone.

powerpointtovideo848388.png

Here’s how you’ll upload the presentation and get it converted.

Before uploading the slideshow, open it in Microsoft PowerPoint. (Rename the file extension from .pps to .ppt in order to open it in edit mode instead of playing the presentation) Go to the slideshow tab and click on Rehearse timings. It lets you define the time of display of slide on the screen. (You must step through each slide and choose how long to display & then save it).

If you don’t perform this function, AuthorStream won’t be able to convert the PPT

rehearsetimings9242874.png

Now go to AuthorStream website. Sign up with the service. Login with your username and password. On the top, click on Upload PowerPoint -> Upload from Desktop.

authorstream19285048.png

The next page will appear. Click on “From Desktop” button if you want to upload the file from desktop. Give a tag to the presentation and check or uncheck the boxes on the right to keep your files private or public. Click on “Upload Now” button.

authorstream119335017.png

Your file will upload within seconds.

uploadingfile9403395.png

After uploading, the tool will start the conversion process. It will send you a mail when the conversion process is completed. You can also check the status by clicking on the given link on the page.

authorstreamconversion9.png

After sometime, when you receive the mail, click on the link given inside it. You’ll see the uploaded presentation. On the right side there is a link to convert the video.

convertpowerpointtovide.png

Once you click on the link, it starts the process and sends you an email with final link when it is done. When you click on it, you get a page like the one below.

powerpointtovideo967708.png

Depending on the size of the PowerPoint file, the time taken to convert it will vary. The output video quality is great. There is an option to upload the video directly to YouTube. Also you can create a video podcast and transfer it to iTunes.

Check Out AuthorStream:

-

Last edited:
Thanks G.I do get some Powerpoint emails from friends.Will certainly be looking at this,so i might be able to share them with my friends at TechKings.Nice one G(y)

Thanks G.I do get some Powerpoint emails from friends.Will certainly be looking at this,so i might be able to share them with my friends at TechKings.Nice one G(y)

I get some of those too Ally & that's exactly why I posted this (y)

Some of them are well worth sharing but as you know, Powerpoint doesn't bode well with forum posting.

-

reason i got powerpoint in the 1st place was so i could see emails that i used to get!
thnaks Gman my son makes PP projects and would love to be able to put them on youtube!

Have only now seen this thread due to watching one of your posts in the media library Gman,im going to give this a go,its right up my street (y)

I did a powerpoint in AuthorStream G. I was not sure if it would work.So i put a small one in Jokes thread,just to test.If you get a chance to see it.not sure if i did it ok.I had to have a go and see.Any more tips on this,i would be very greatful.Love things like that G.Thanks for all your help(y)

It's a while since I tried this but your's seems to work fine Ally. The user wanting to see it has to login though?

What about using the "Send To Youtube" option?

The vid could be displayed directly here then?

-

Last edited:
Back