How to set up your Vu+Duo. with ViX

bobby123

TECHKINGS RESIDENT
not my work How to set up your Vu+Duo.

First let me congratulate you on purchasing what is easily In my honest opinion, one of the best supported satellite receivers on the market.
You have entered a world of many possibilities and I personally welcome you to my hobby.

ok so you have just received you new shiny Vu+Duo and you want to watch some TV but you dont know where to start !.

This tutorial aims to show you what you need to do to setup your new receiver from scratch to the point where you can at least watch FTA/FTV ( Free to Air and Free to View ) channels via *** uk otherwise known as 28.2 East.

Areas covered will be as follows.
Unboxing the receiver.
Flashing the Bootloader and Image
Using the setup wizard to setup network etc.
Loading a Bouquet or Channel list.
Setting up a EPG or Electronic Programe Guide
Setting up a Softcam to use with a *** UK FTV or Free To View card.

Getting started.

1. unbox the receiver ( yes i know this is obvious but bear with me ).
2. Along with the receiver you should also have in the box a few other things as listed below.
a. Remote controll and batteries
b. Vu+ instruction manual
c. HDMI cable
d. Internal Hard drive fitting kit including the cradle, screws, rubber grommets and power, data connection leads. ( These may be inside the receiver it self )

Before we go any further i am going to assume you have a HDD you wish to use with the receiver if not you can skip this step and return to it later.
If your using a new freshly unboxed HDD you can go ahead and install that into the receiver now, However if you are using a used HDD make sure it is formatted to FAT32 and all previous partitions removed.

To eliminate confusion as i have seen many forum posts about this the HDD sits on top of the cradle and the cradle then attaches to the body of the receiver.

OK so now the HDD is installed and the receiver has been closed back up we can start connecting the various leads and cables.

Flashing the Bootloader and Image

The receiver will come with a standard factory produced image ( The firmware or operating system for the receiver ) unless you have asked the retailer you purchased it from to load a specific image first, For the purposes of this tutorial i will assume this is the case and will be flashing the latest ViX 2.3 image with the Linux 3.1.1 kernel.

Before we get that far however you will need a few things.
1. A USB stick / key formatted the FAT32
2. The newest Vu+Duo bootloader ( duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip )
3. The ViX image ( Current public version is ViX-2.3.204-vuduo_usb.zip )
4A. A little patience and some ones hand to hold if you have a nervous disposition.
4B. A clean pair of underpants ( just in case ).

To start we are going to first flash the Bootloader ( duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip )

1. Power the receiver down by the power switch at the rear on the rear of the receiver.
2. unpack the bootloader file and place the folder ( vuplus and it's contents ) onto the USB stick. ( for this i use 7zip but winrar will do nicely. )
3. place the USB stick into any USB port on the receiver then power the receiver on by the power switch at the rear of the receiver.

IMPORTANT
WARNING NEVER remove the USB stick from the box while flashing either the bootloader or any image without first seeing the VFD prompt to do so and only then after powering the receiver down first.
Failure to do so could lead to a very expensive hardware failure, more commonly known as a "BRICK". As your expensive receiver is now effectively now only useful as a house brick.

you should now see a message on the VFD display of your Vu+ Duo that the USB stick is being read once this part is complete you will see a message telling you to remove the stick and reboot.
Power off the receiver then remove the USB stick, once again format the stick to FAT32. Now decompress the image file ( ViX-2.3.204-vuduo_usb.zip ) again placing the folder named vuplus and it's contents onto the stick and follow the same procedure as above for flashing the bootloader.

you should see the following displayed on the VFD one at a time during the flahing proccess.

Reading USB, Erasing Flash , Programming , Finnished Remove USB and Reboot

Note that while the bootloader took only a few seconds to flash to your receiver, a full image flash will take a few minutes. Once this has completed and you see the VFD prompt you can again power down the receiver and remove the USB stick.
you can now power the box back on and allow it to boot, This process may take a few minutes but once complete you will be presented with a simple setup Wizard screen that will guide you through the various setup options helping you get started.

Setup Wizard

The First setup screen you see should be the Video input selection screen. Here you are asked to select the input port for your Tv as below.
HDMI
Scart
YPbPr

along with the ability to select your language via the red button, the default language loaded being English.

For example i select the HDMI PORT i am then asked to select the video mode from several choices.

720p
1080i
576p
480p
576i
480i

I am selecting 720p but this can be changed later if needed. once selected you then greeted with a language selection screen.

you will now be presented with the restore wizard. This can be used to restore settings backups made from a previous installation using the ViX backup manager, as this is a new setup i am selecting the Exit restore wizard option.
Again you will now be presented with another wizard that will allow you to set up some more of the basic features of your receiver.
you can exit from this or follow the wizard i am following the wizard.

The next screen asks me to setup tuner A,by pressing left or right on the remote.
as i am using a fixed *** uk dish for this setup i will choose as follows.

configuration mode. Simple
Mode Single
Satellite 28.2E Eurobird 1..Astra 1N/2A/2B/2D
Send DiSEqC No.

As I am using both feeds from a the same source ( a octo LNB I will set both tuners up with the exact same settings ).

now we are asked if we want to perform a automatic or manual scan, for this part i will select no as i will be loading a bouquet pack later.
and i select no to parental controls.

Setting up the internet connection.
This next part of the wizard asks me if i want to set up the internet connection i select yes ( my duo is connected to my broadband router via a cat5 network cable )

use interface Yes
USE DHCP if yes the box will scan your router and assign a ip address automatically, or if you select no you can set up a fixed ip address manually, i select yes for now.
thats it the box is almost setup.

now to setup a few things before we go any further.

The first screen you will see once out of the setup wizard is the channel list, however as it has no channel list or bouquet loaded yet this will be blank but we can come to that later.
you may notice that the menu or OSD ( On Screen Dispaly ) on your tv screen does not quite fit it may be stretched or off to one side, dont worry this is easy to correct as so.

first exit out of the channel list screen by pressing exit on the remote. you should see the Vu loading screen.

To set the OSD
menu > setup > OSD > OSD SETUP
here you can use the up / down buttons to select each option and the left / right buttons to adjust the setting them selves. once you are happy that your OSD is setup press green to save these settings.

Loading a Bouquet or channel List

To load a bouquet or channel list to your receiver you need a few things.
1. The IP address of the receiver menu > setup > system > network > Device setup > Adapter settings ( write down the ip address in this case we have 192.168.0.6 )
2. A bouquet pack or channel list, for this tutorial i am using the latest Silverfox E2 ( enigma 2 )pack.
3. a bouquet editor. i am using DreamboxEdit 5.0.0.3
4. a copy of winrar ( I personally use 7zip and it's free which is also a good thing )

before we go any further install DreamboxEdit ( DBE ) to your computer.
For this tutorial i am using the silverfox bouquet which is a special set that mirrors the *** UK channel line up matching the channel numbers to those of a official *** receiver. to set this up correctly you need to make some changes to DBE before you even download the bouquet pack.

Launch DBE
press tools > options > advanced. make sure the heading allow duplicate entries in ( user ) bouquets is selected then restart the program.

now we need to setup a profile for your receiver in DBE
tools > options > profiles.
first press the new profile button and you will see a new profile appear in the left hand coloum. click on this to open it out.
enter the ip address you noted down earlier keeping the default ports for HTTP and FTP as they already are ( 80 and 21 )
under the heading username on dreambox enter the name root
and for the password type password ( this is the default password until you change it ).

you can also enter a name for this profile, then press the save button. make sure you have it set as enigma 2 under the filepaths heading by pressing the enigma2 settings button.

Take the bouquet file you downloaded and uncompress it using winrar to some where you can easily remember, I create a folder on my desktop ( this can be deleted once the bouquet is loaded to the receiver ).

press file > open and navigate to the location you decompressed the bouquet to. then press ok to load the files.
now in the bottom left hand corner select the profile you just created then press file > fast FTP upload. you may need to reboot the box after this step so the settings take hold.

Setting up a EPG or electronic program guide.

First of all I would recommend you use a dedicated USB stick for this process, I my self use a Sandisk Cruzor Blade 4GB stick for this purpose as it is very small and easily hidden away behind the receiver.

Format your USB stick to FAT32 from your computer.

Place the USB stick in to any of the USB ports on the receiver. ( I use a rear port as it's not in view and therefore hidden away. also as it's behind the receiver the stick is not so easily damaged. ). Then reboot the receiver.

when the receiver has booted up, navigate to the mount manager. Blue button> ViX> mount manager. your USB stick should be shown as Mount: /media/usb if it is not press the green button then highlight the stick and change the mount via the left and right buttons. Then press the green to save.

Exit from this screen using the back button and navigate to menu> setup> system> EPG.

you now have several options to setup your EPG using either CrossEPG or Rytek or both depending on your setup.

To setup CrossEPG as your EPG

press settings
change the EPG location to /media/usb using the left and right buttons. then press green to save.
scroll down to CrossEPG then press ok, Now scroll down to scheduled download and change this option to once a day then select your preferred scheduled download time, best pick a time when you wont be using the box. I use 04:15
you can leave the other options at the​

FTP to etc cccam as long as set it up right and auto start in softcam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all - I've just been through this guide, but is there something missing at the end?

I'm not looking to set up for FTA (wink wink), so if anyone can help with what to do next, that would be appreciated!

I've not installed any ipk files yet. I'm completely new to this so a lot of the guides are hard to understand, so any help would really be appreciated!

Sorry - this forum must have loads of people like me (asking stupid questions)...

---------- Post Merged at 09:12 PM ----------

Update - I've just downloaded a file called 'enigma2-plugin-cams-mgcamd.1.35a_1.0-r3_mipsel.ipk' from the WOS site - am I on the right track here?

---------- Post Merged at 09:18 PM ----------

I've now transferred this file to the tmp folder in the Vu Duo via Filezilla - not sure how to install though

---------- Post Merged at 09:20 PM ----------

I've managed that - not sure what to do next though?

yes good going and you are using an n line or cline if cline you need a different ipk file

presume it correct then blue button on remote-vix-install local extension and if needed reboot box

Planning to use an n line. Will installation of this be the final stage? If I can get through all of this and get TV tonight, I think a donation to this site will be on the cards...

I've now scanned for channels (setup / service searching / automatic scan) and over 900 channels were found, however my EPG is still empty - any ideas?

you need a usb formatted to fat 32 on pc first.
.Setting up a EPG or electronic program guide.

First of all I would recommend you use a dedicated USB stick for this process, I my self use a Sandisk Cruzor Blade 4GB stick for this purpose as it is very small and easily hidden away behind the receiver.

Format your USB stick to FAT32 from your computer.

Place the USB stick in to any of the USB ports on the receiver. ( I use a rear port as it's not in view and therefore hidden away. also as it's behind the receiver the stick is not so easily damaged. ). Then reboot the receiver.

when the receiver has booted up, navigate to the mount manager. Blue button> ViX> mount manager. your USB stick should be shown as Mount: /media/usb if it is not press the green button then highlight the stick and change the mount via the left and right buttons. Then press the green to save.

Exit from this screen using the back button and navigate to menu> setup> system> EPG.

you now have several options to setup your EPG using either CrossEPG or Rytek or both depending on your setup.

To setup CrossEPG as your EPG

press settings
change the EPG location to /media/usb using the left and right buttons. then press green to save.
scroll down to CrossEPG then press ok, Now scroll down to scheduled download and change this option to once a day then select your preferred scheduled download time, best pick a time when you wont be using the box. I use 04:15
you can leave the other options at their default values. press red to go back.

Now scroll to OpenTV providers and press ok. Highlight and select The sky uk options so you see a green tick next to them, then press the yellow button to download the epg. you will be taken to a radio page where the epg will download. This step will take a few minutes to complete.
You can select to use both 28.2 and 28.4 east in the settings but this consumes a lot of memory and is not needed only select the one that correspinds with your Bouquet pack. so for example if your bouquet points to 28.2 east select this option, The same goes for a bouquet that references 28.4 east.

To setup Rytek as your EPG

Select XMLTV-importer then as above set your preferred download time and set the daily automatic import option to enable. you can keep all other options at their defaults.
Now press blue and tick all the sky uk options once done press green to save. You can now press manual to download this EPG again as with CrossEPG This will take a few minutes, but once done you should have a fully working EPG setup.

Alos not that if you use Rytek as your EPG provider you must have a active internet connection to the receiver as it needs to connect to the internet to download the EPG data. If however you use CrossEPG you do not need a active internet connection as it uses the same source as SKY uk for it's EPG ( a radio channel previously known as the hip hip channel ).

with many thanks to phoenix for his great work(y)

Having problems with a few Duos. Not booting or boots then goes back into starting.
Just changed the internal HDD SEE if that could be the problems. Working on 2xDuos & a Solo 2. Remote contro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi.

I have had the Vuo* duo for over a year now and I have been very happy with it. It was given to me already set up with Vix pre-installed.
Recently, the service terminated due to unforeseen circumstances leaving me with a glorified FTA box.

The instructions given above are talking about transfering of certain files from a USB stick onto an 'out of the box' Vu+ duo receiver. I do not have either of these.
The receiver is already Formatted because i have been using it up to now. Do i need to re-format it & if so, How do i format my internal HDD to FAT32 as indicated above?

Can you please help as this is all new to me and i'm not familiar with some of the technical terms?
Thanks in advance.

not much point in having a twin tuner without hdd internal or external for recordings and use a sub for epg,swapfile and cacheflush are 2 other needed plugins new image from vix apollo 155 needs complete new fresh flash install and no backups,check vix status for feed status before flashing and e2 receiver still red icon so dont reflash yet as downloading feeds error will still come up.

Hi I've been trying to get my n-line to work on my vu+duo running the latest vix image . Channel list appears but when i got to the scrambled channels screen stays blank all the epg info comes up right. Please help I've been ftp-ing the files countless times and no joy

ok need to know when setting up your box did you download plugins and chosen softcams mgcamd 1.38 and loaded it and reboot box?

ok need to know when setting up your box did you download plugins and chosen softcams mgcamd 1.38 and loaded it and reboot box?

yep I did all that and when box reboots only FTA channels are coming on the rest nothing ?

---------- Post Merged at 09:16 AM ----------

ive also tried the other mgcamd 1.35c and the same result only FTA coming through the channels and info come up in the epg but when you go to the channel just a blank screen.
Is there a way you can manually enter the n-line on the vuo+ duo ?

Hi im trying to setup a revez wifi dongle to connect to my vu+zero cant seem to pick up the signal from the router and the blue activation light on the usb dongle is not lighting up !!
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Back