Windows 8 How to shutdown Win 8

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
How the hell do you shut down your PC?

In pretty much every version of Windows prior to this one, you'd click Start, then Shut Down.

Windows 8 notoriously lacks a Start button, so obviously the old rules don't apply here.

Here's how to shut down Windows 8:

1. Mouse over the little gadget in the lower right corner of the screen. (You can also move your mouse cursor to the upper left corner; same result. Or, you can press Windows-C on your keyboard.)

2. In the slide-out menu (known as the Charms Bar) that appears, click Settings.

3. Click the Power button, and then click your desired action: Sleep, Shut down, or Update and restart.

So, there you have it. In Windows 8, it requires four actions to shut down your PC: hover, click, click, and click.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's always been something of a joke that shutting down your PC required a click of the Start button. Now the joke has turned downright cruel, with Microsoft seemingly going out of its way to hide one of the most basic computing options. In. The. Settings. Menu.

Shutting down a PC is not a setting. It should not require three clicks. Windows 8 arrives with a bunch of cool-looking tiles in its Start screen; how hard would it have been to add a Power tile?

The unfortunate reality here is that Windows 8 doesn't work as a desktop operating system.

The unfortunate reality here is that Windows 8 doesn't work as a desktop operating system.

As I said Gman, I was in PC World and couldn't find anything on 8, don't think I like it, though a lad from work just got a new laptop, and says 8 is the dog's, but he sometimes is one of those people who say anything they have is brilliant, and anything they don't doesn't interest them.

@ Aldan, Windows 98 for me LOL

Nice ,but its not difficult to find shutdown button little attention needed.But thanks for informational post.

i got a vaio ultrabook as a xmas pressie, windows 8, still getting the hang of it, took me ages to find the power off button, the option of keyboard or touch screen is a bit weird at first, when i go onto my old wndows7 toshiba i keep trying to swipe the screen, ah well im sure i will just get used to using it,, then they will bring out a new model... my favourite is still my old xp desktop ive had it for years, its a bit slow, but i know it and it knows me, ha ha

Hate Windows 8 myself, infact I dislike it more than vista and I HATE vista!.

Best way to shut it down is with a hammer. :willy nilly:

my sentiments exactly.two operations to shut down win7.an improvement over xp by 1 operation.now 4 to shut down win8.ah yes the future is here.if i was a betting man i would say this one will go down in the record books as a turkey along with windows me and vista.

In Windows 8 the shut down power option (hover over to the right, chose settings then power) does not shut down the PC completely. Instead it puts the machine into a version of hibernation, which allows the contents of RAM to be written to the hard disk, before powering off the computer. When the computer is started again, it reloads the content of memory and attempts to restore to the same state as it was before shutdown.

To enable the PC to fully refresh you need to perform a system restart, by using the same method settings-power-restart.

Back