Hugh Jackman gets Hollywood Walk of Fame star

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Australian actor Hugh Jackman got a Hollywood double whammy Thursday as he was nominated for a Golden Globe and got his star on Tinseltown's famous Walk of Fame on the same day.

photo_1355446017673-1-0.jpg

Jackman, who is being tipped for possible Oscar glory for his role in upcoming musical adaptation "Les Miserables," said he couldn't believe the good fortune that his career has given him.

"This is quite a ride .. It's a surreal experience. I'm a kid from the suburb of Barunga, on the northern side of Sydney ... This is completely surreal," he said as he unveiled his sidewalk star.

"Apart from Lassie, I'm the only one to get to play the same character in 15 movies," he quipped, flanked by Les Mis co-star Anne Hathaway, director Tom Hooper, DreamWorks **** Jeffrey Katzenberg and Tonight Show host Jay Leno.

Leno, due to interview him later, told Jackman: "I don't believe wealth and fame change anybody, it exaggerates who you already are. And I think all your wealth and success and fame have just made you a better person."

"You have a wonderful family, you're a wonderful role model .. besides the obvious talent, is the fact that you are a regular person."

Jackman thanked his fans, about 200 of whom turned out to see him get his Walk of Fame star on the sidewalk outside Madame Tussaud's next to Grauman's Chinese Theatre in the tourist center of Tinseltown.

"I have the greatest fans in the world. I don't take it lightly and or take it for granted and thank you so much for all you do. (...) The Boy from Oz was a hit because of the fans.

His wife Deborra-Lee Furness and adopted children Oscar, 12, and Ava, 7, were also there.

"None of this would have been possible, and certainly none of this would have been rewarding to me, if not for my family," said Jackman, nominated for best actor in a musical or comedy at the Golden Globes earlier in the day.

"And kids, you maybe don't understand it now, but you're gonna save a fortune in therapy by just coming here and spitting on it, jumping on it ... you can come and take it out here," he said of his star.

"Sorry, city of Los Angeles," he added.

Back