Humax aura, sky stream or something else?

Hi

Been a member for a long long time back in the day when I had a Vuplus box and a line. The box failed after a long long time and because we only really used it to record the normal free to air channels and the satellite dish had seen better days I just replaced it with the BT tv pro box and subscription. I kept the line on for my son to use on his computer but that just expired and I didnt renew it as he doesnt use it anyway. Fast forward to a house extension so the main living space will now be on another floor and there is no aerial in that room or satelite dish on the house. Ive just this morning had full fibre installed as the bt broadband was terrible. I have now cancelled the bt service so no broadband or tv from them in 28 days. I am now left wondering what to buy. I looked at the humaz aura box and thought I was sorted but then realised it needs an aerial and it also doesnt have the itvx app however from reading another thread on here someone said it does have the app so who knows? So I have full fibre, a normal tv and I record a lot of programmes to watch later otherwise id just buy a smart tv. What is the best option for me please as I am so far out of touch with it all. I have also seen sky stream so that may be an option too and I think that is just done through the internet but can I record on that?

Thank you for an advice, I feel like I was sorted with the aura after researching but then stumbled on the aerial issue.

Well for any enigma device you are going to need a sat dish.

If you are looking at recording. My advice would be look at a smart tv or iptv service with good catchup.

If I were buying a smart tv I would probably look at a android smart tv could be my next investment

Well for any enigma device you are going to need a sat dish.

If you are looking at recording. My advice would be look at a smart tv or iptv service with good catchup.

If I were buying a smart tv I would probably look at a android smart tv could be my next investment
Can android tvs be used to record?

if you record a lot , you will need a recording box which will need an aerial. Aura does support itvx. Can you get an aerial fitted ? If so get the aura and a firestick for netflix etc.

if you record a lot , you will need a recording box which will need an aerial. Aura does support itvx. Can you get an aerial fitted ? If so get the aura and a firestick for netflix etc.
We have an aerial in the loft that serves other rooms in the house but not the new build extention. We can install it but it would be a pain as its all plastered and decorated now so was hoping to avoid that if I can get everything through the internet. I didnt really want sky stream but it may well be the only option at the moment if an aerial is definitely needed for the aura. Can live tv be watched through the itvx app on the aura or not?

Why not Mike ? what about programs on channels like hgtv and yesterday . What if you want to watch a program a few days later ?

I was more talking bbc etc but I see what you mean freesat or the solution you were using best bet. Or sky stream.

That's all I can think of. Or a iptv sub

You could get a decent E2 box and IPTV subscription. If you want to record IPTV feeds at same time as watching then you will probably need a multi room sub. That would give you all the channels you ever want, and record them. Recording IPTV can be hit and miss, ie if there is a slight break in the connection between you and server it will stop recording but then you would have catch up to fall back on. It would work out cheaper than stream as well.

Alternatively get two E2 boxes, put one in the room with an ariel (box 1) and another in the room without the ariel (box 2). You can then set them up so box 2 uses the tuners on box 1. box 2 would only need 1 tuner, or no tuners if available, and box 1 should be twin tuner so you can record on it as well.

I was more talking bbc etc but I see what you mean freesat or the solution you were using best bet. Or sky stream

You could get a decent E2 box and IPTV subscription. If you want to record IPTV feeds at same time as watching then you will probably need a multi room sub. That would give you all the channels you ever want, and record them. Recording IPTV can be hit and miss, ie if there is a slight break in the connection between you and server it will stop recording but then you would have catch up to fall back on. It would work out cheaper than stream as well.

Alternatively get two E2 boxes, put one in the room with an ariel (box 1) and another in the room without the ariel (box 2). You can then set them up so box 2 uses the tuners on box 1. box 2 would only need 1 tuner, or no tuners if available, and box 1 should be twin tuner so you can record on it as well.
Whats a decent E2 box for IPTV? Last box I had was the h5.2tc which was poor ...moved to a Nvidia...wouldn't mind moving back to a E2 box if it compares well to a shield.

Whats a decent E2 box for IPTV? Last box I had was the h5.2tc which was poor ...moved to a Nvidia...wouldn't mind moving back to a E2 box if it compares well to a shield.
to be honest I've not looked at them for long time, got h5.2tc upstairs and vu+ downstairs but only use them for freesat

@carolwatuk Try an indoor aerial first with your tv

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/aerial/?clickOrigin=searchbar:search:term:aerialm

The Humax Aura looks a decent box and will do everything you want, provided you have the aerial connection.

I would stick with the shield. E2 doesn’t natively restart streams.

Can you side load IPTV apps and run them on this humax box ?
It has the google play store so I am assuming yes you can.

Zgemma H7s is a good box for the money, all depends on your budget. I use a Gigablue Uhd Ue 4k and Vu Duo 4k and both run sat and Iptv no problem. I just prefer E2 over android and have used them for years. I did get an Android box once for the wife to watch Tv upstairs but they are not wife friendly and she couldn't use it so I got her an E2 box and now she is happy as it looks and works just like the old sly tv.

Back