I/O device error

makido

VIP Member
I have this new 128gb usb stick and I cant format it. Ive tried hdd guru and that just gives the i/o device error.
I googled the error and have tried diskpart but that just gives an error of chkdsk is not available for raw drives - what ever that means?
Ive only had the usb a few weeks, surely it cant be dead already. Can this be repaired or should I just bin it?

I think it may be dead
I downloaded the minitool partition wizard and I am able to select the usb, but it wont let me right click on it to delete it. Clicking on it does nothing
It just as bad disk with a black line.

I did try another usb just to make sure I was following the instructions right and that worked as instructed, so as anyone any more ideas before I bin it please

Was from argos but no longer have the receipt, didnt think I would need it. Worth a try though as they might replace it, but they might also tell me to do one!! :laughing:
Guess theres only one way to find out though

Is it reading in a laptop/pcif so when in a laptop/pc can you move files over to it any random stuff over than try a format that way

It is seeing it on my laptop but when you click it, it says "please insert a disk into usb drive E"
I tried formatting it via my box and it gets stuck on 49 (I think cant remember) but it gets stuck on initialising

Go buy another and a few days later take the knackered one back. And you will then have 2 you can never have to many flash drives.

Last edited by a moderator:
just a thought is there a small switch on it that has it locked ( read only) doubt theres anything wrong with it just might need another computer os

No nothing on it at all. Just trying the above link for gparted, before I take it back. If they dont change it I will definitely do what @TheMacMan says

Without a receipt i would just buy one the same, as you don’t won’t to raze suspicion before you take back the faulty one (y)

Nothing is working guys, but thanks for trying
@dave100 I will definitely send you one for your shiny new toy, if I end up with two I promise :laughing:
Will keep you updated, and thanks to all again

Back