"idiots guide" to installing sucmnsee's image with EVERY step explained in detail

RustyMG

TK Veteran
I have read god knows how many threads asking the same questions, so thought Id write this - its a complete idiots guide to installing sucmnsee's image with every step explained in great detail.
Anyone who needs to ask any questions after reading this shouldn't be allowed out of the house on their own, lol.

Its best to read thru this guide before hand to see which parts you decide to follow / use. Updated 18/9 with a few more bits n pieces added, and a few bits removed, eg Setanta HD now included in the whitelist so no need to add to favouites)

Setting up the usb stick:
Download the HD Low Level format tool from here:
HDDGURU: HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool
Low level format your usb stick (click on continue for free, select your drive, choose continue, then choose the 2nd option near the top to low level format the drive.
Once done, then do a full format (ie not a quick format) in windows as a fat32 drive.
Expect each of the above to take up to 40 minutes a pop on a 32gig usb stick.

USB sticks confirmed as being able to flash the zgemma:
Integral 4gb, quick fat32 format (confirmed by Soberish).
Kingston 1gb Data Traveller, quick fat32 format (confirmed by Soberish).
Kingston 32gb usb sticks (confirmed by Satboynoob).
Kingston 16 Gb DataTraveller (confirmed by mtpockets).
Lexar 8Gb and 16Gb (confirmed by mtpockets).
Play.com branded 32gb usb stick : had to low level format & full windows fat32 format it twice before it would flash the device (confirmed by me!)
Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16gb, first time no issues (confirmed by Mitchb).
Sandisk Cruzer Slicer 8gb from 7 day shop (£2.69!) : opened packaging, copied the zgemma folder onto it, and it worked instantly (confirmed by me!)
TDK 16Gb Flip (confirmed by mtpockets).

Flashing the zgemma:
Now download the sucmnsee image from this site, and unzip it so that the image folder (the one called zgemma) goes on the usb stick, then put it in the back of the zgemma when switched off and power up the box.
Will say boot on the display, then FLSH.
If still says FLSH after 20 mins the flash has failed, and if the box boots normally, the flash hasnt started, meaning its probably ignored the usb stick (an all to common problem).

Lets assume its went ok - your box will now have booted up and the image has installed ok, so switch it off again to safely remove that usb stick you flashed with, and plug in the hard drive you wish to store your recordings etc on. This should be formatted to NTFS, or you will get an out of disk space error when recording HD programs after about 50 minutes (as the file will be over the 4 gig fat32 file size limit). You may need to convert the drive as detailed later on if you have recording issues.

Entering your "line" to decode the channels:
Once flashed, enter your line details before doing anything....
This assumes your using an nline (is there anyone these days who doesnt?!)
Have a look on this forum for the amount of people who have problems with entering lines.
This way avoids connecting to a pc using filezilla, or anything messy- do it via your zgemma remote control in seconds.
Get a hold of your Newcamd.list or CCCAM.cfg file from your provider and write down the line (or open it in wordpad on a laptop if your lazy).
Go to menu, Ts panel, Files explorer, Usr, Keys.
In this folder you will see the newcamd.list file.
Highlight to edit, and you will see 2 nline details within the file - its the top one you need to edit first, so use the remote control like txting on an old mobile phone to enter your details, so it looks like:
CWS_KEEPALIVE = 60
Once your happy, you must go to the very end of the line and press ok before then pressing exit, then ok when it asks if its yes to save ("prev" and "next" move back & forward if needed).
Now move down to the second line, which is where your actual line "code" is to be entered.
It should be in the format:
CWS = abcde.no-ip.biz 12345 rog123-4321 7654321 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14
Again use the remote control, and again once your happy, you must go to the very end of the line and press ok before then pressing exit, then ok when it asks if its yes to save. Everyone's line will be slightly different, but you MUST have the "01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14" bit present. No idea why people keep asking me if its needed..... Anyway, thats your line entered - its that simple!

Now ready to scan for channels - how many "feeds" does your box have?
To do EPG and bouquet stuff you need 2 feeds.
If you have 2 feeds (which a typical Sky HD box will have), ignore the section below.
if you havent got 2 feeds, with the default settings your scans will fail giving an error message, so if you live in a flat etc and only have one feed do the following now: (if you ever get a second feed you will need to re enable it by reversing the below and do the scans again).
Go into menu, set up, service searching,tuner configuration.
go to tuner b, press ok, then in the next screen at Configuration mode, disable it by choosing Not Configured. Press ok then green to save then red to exit. You need to reset the box to take effect, and as a bonus, the line details you just entered will start running with the same restart.

Now do the scan for your channels:

Menu, setup, service searching, autobouquets maker, providers. (may need to wait a few secs for them all to appear).
Change Sky ROI Area to ROI HD (so as to get their equivalent BBC and ITV etc in HD - handy!) - irrespective of where in Europe you live.
So, settings should be, from the top:
no, yes, ROI HD, no, no, no, yes, no, yes, yes, [ your custom area ], no, then 6 yes's all the way to end.
Then press green to save.
Choose Delete Bouquets, then once deleted,scroll back up and "Start scan". This will take a few mins and should say "Reading Sky uk" at bottom.

Now sort out the EPG:

Choose menu, setup, system, EPG, settings, and make sure the top setting EPG Location is NOT set to internal flash,but instead is on your plugged in hard drive.
Now choose menu, setup, system, EPG, Cross EPG, and Download now.
This can take upto 10 minutes.
Once done restart the box (hold power button etc).

Now if you dont like the dark boot image by sucmnsee:
Press the Portal button on the remote then press green to list the plugins, then press ok on bootlogos, then ok on the one you want (eg aurora), then ok for yes to install.
This will be seen when you restart the box.

Change infobar settings :
Menu, setup, system, user interface, settings, and change the first two infobars to 7 seconds, and enable info bar fadeout just below, and make sure fadeout speed is 40 - this is quite classy looking....

TV Resolution:
Sky's native resolution on their HD box is 1080i, so this is the best setting. Press Menu, system, AV Settings, and change mode to 1080i, and ensure refresh is 50Hz before saving.

Fraggle sky skin settings that arent quite right:
Choose any channel category and bring up the EPG for it.
Now press menu.
Ensure the number of rows is 6 so only 6 channels of EPG is shown at a time (less clutter).
Event font size 8, 3, 175, 70, 50, 10, yes, 120 (or 150 mins or 180 - depends on how far ahead you want to see whats on).
Then press green to save.
Now go into your recorded program screen by pressing the "file list" button on your remote, and on the screen that appears, press the menu button, then ok on settings at the very top.
Change Font size to 5 or 6, and number of rows to 12.
Now, again, choose any channel category and bring up the EPG for it. But now press EPG again.
You will see the next 18 or so programs for that channel listed on the left. Press menu and change the number of rows to 16 (or less if you think its cluttered looking) and change the Event font size to 7, then press green to save, then exit out. Next time you go back in you will see the effect.
Also...
Change "Remove items from trash" to 1 day as your usb stick can fill up VERY quickly, and change "disk space to reserve" to a much lower number, eg 10 gig.

You still hate the fraggle sky skin and want to try the Blue HD one:
I personally think the font is far too small on this and you cant adjust it, but, if it rocks your boat.....
Choose menu, TSPanel, addons, linuxsat support addons, Skins Opnvix, and look in there for Bluehd v3.
Then go into settings and change it.
Menu, Setup, System, User interface, Skins, and select blue hd.

You have used the box, but dont like how transparent the menu's are, or the menu's are out the screen to the left:
This allows you to change the transparency of the menu's as well as making the EPG etc fill more of the screen. As a fail safe, the zgemma has a fair sized border round the screen options, but you can change these settings to fill out the screen, or move it about.
Go to menu, setup, system, user interface, and position setup.
My preference is 240,4,714,5,565, but, you can experiment to suit. Move left/right and up/down is your centering of the EPG and menus, and you can see the effect as you adjust the settings - just remember to save.

Having problems getting channels? Check what your sat signal is like:
Press menu, setup, service searching, sat finder, and this will show your signal strength

Stop your hard drive spinning when not in use:
Press menu, setup, system, storage devices, hard disk setup.
Change Hard disk standby after to something suitable, eg 2 or 5 minutes by pressing left or right then press green for ok.

Making an image backup:
** this tends to give a timeout error if timeshift is running when you attempt to create a backup, so stop timeshift if making a backup (Menu, setup, system, timeshift settings) **
Menu, setup, vix, image manager, and press green for a new backup.
When you press green press ok when asked if ready to create a backup.
Takes about 15 mins and can sit at 18/100 in the progress bar for between 9 and 10 mins and at 90/100 for up to 5 mins, so dont panic - its not crashed.

Backing up settings:
Menu, setup, vix, backup manager, and press green for a new backup.
The backup will then start and only takes a minute or 2.

Now set up a swap file (like windows on a pc does for when it runs out of RAM):
Menu, setup, vix, swap manager.
Now press blue, then ok, then choose to create 256mb, then ok. You will get a "Wait" message whilst this is in progress but should only take a couple of minutes.
Once done, choose yellow to autostart, and green to activate, and status should now be green, so press red to exit, and reset the box.

Timeshift if you want:
Not required, but can come in handy if you want to rewind and see if that goal really was offside!
Go to Menu, setup, system, timeshift settings.
The top line should be showing your usb stick or HD.
Now set"automatically start" to something like 30 seconds, incase your box is slow to start up or whatever, and we dont want an error message saying it cant start.
Now change "stop timeshift when recording" to yes, then green to save, and a reset for the settings to take effect.

If you have enabled timeshift, you probably want the infobar to appear so you know how far you are behind "realtime" when fast forwarding or rewinding:

Press menu, then system, user interface, settings, and in move down to about halfway down screen to "Show infobar on skip forward/backward" to yes, then green to save.

If your recordings are failing and / or initializing your USB storage device:
Choose menu, setup, system,storage devices, initialisation,and select your drive here.
Then press red to initialise (and wipe!) your drive, then exit out.
As your drive is wiped, you will need to download your EPG data again, so see above for how to do so.

Last edited:
Rusty,

First off thanks, I am getting a ton of help from another user, but as of yet after trying all day we have had no joy in setting up my ZG S2.

Can I ask, other than plugging the box in, what else if anything needs doing to the actual box, before going forward this?
For example, do any of the menu settings need altering?

Nothing. I bought my box and never even switched it on. The first it was powered up was when I was flashing it.

Thanks for the guide, it's made life much easier! The only question I have is, when entering the nline in the newcamd.list file, there are two "CWS = xxx" and a CWS_MULTIPLE =xxxxxxxxx" Do I need to change all three to my nline, or just one inparticular?Thanks

Thanks for the guide, it's made life much easier! The only question I have is, when entering the nline in the newcamd.list file, there are two "CWS = xxx" and a CWS_MULTIPLE =xxxxxxxxx" Do I need to change all three to my nline, or just one inparticular?Thanks
Only one valid line will work at a time. Just change the CWS = xxxx. Remember to remove the 'n' from your line details.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You can have multiple lines (2nd could be a backup, or top for sat and 2nd for cable if you have an H2 box that sucmnsee's image also works on) - just replace the top one that has data already in it.

Hi,

Following the instructions, up to the point of searching for channels

I don't see any Autoboquet providers???

Does this mean I have entered the line wrongly? I did not type in the N as it seems you start with CWS = and then carry on with sever address

This screen MUST appear if you press Menu, setup, service searching, autobouquets maker, then providers.
Even if you dont have a line, it'd appear, as you can use this as a Freesat box.
Once Providers is chosen, you will get a million options onscreen, starting with "FreeSat (UK) no"

The only thing I can think of is somehow you may have de selected the 28e satellites so it cant see anything, but thats almost impossible to do by accident.

One thing ive noticed when trying to add setanta hd, the setanta hd channels are not there,ive followed the guide but no luck u got any idea how to fix that RustyMG?

I get nothing mate,

Menu
SetUp
Service Searching
Autobouquets Maker
**** Here a box comes up saying do I want to do this the simple way, or the expert way ****
Regardless of which I choose when I click providers, I see nothing listed

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 PM ----------

Tried going into Sat Finder (rightly or wrongly)
Box immediately came up with an error screen, and then rebooted

When you make backup ( and you have a USB HDD connected for storage ) does it build a 'zgemma' folder on the root of the USB? And you then just copy this to a clean USB stick and keep somewhere safe?

I get nothing mate,

Menu
SetUp
Service Searching
Autobouquets Maker
**** Here a box comes up saying do I want to do this the simple way, or the expert way ****
Regardless of which I choose when I click providers, I see nothing listed

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 PM ----------

Tried going into Sat Finder (rightly or wrongly)
Box immediately came up with an error screen, and then rebooted

The guide is assuming you have flashed using sucmnsee's image ONLY.
He has set a few default settings, eg expert mode here n there, and installed various plugins.
If you have used sucmnsee's image, and done absolutely nothing except whats on the guide, you will get the screen I mentioned.
You HAVE used sucmnsee's image?

Once in autobouquets maker, if you choose the top option, configure, my settings are expert, yes, 05:00, daily, yes, no, top, yes, yes,no - then press green for ok and exit out and then try providers

---------- Post Merged at 10:02 PM ----------

One thing ive noticed when trying to add setanta hd, the setanta hd channels are not there,ive followed the guide but no luck u got any idea how to fix that RustyMG?

Just double checked my settings - in providers its exactly as listed in my guide, ie no, yes, ROI HD, no, yes, no, yes, no, no, yes, yes, [ your custom area ], no, then 6 yes's all the way to end.

Last edited:
Rusty. and Hi Leslie1554

Right, did a factory reset, and told the initial setup to specify 28.2 on tuner A

Now back to autobouquets, and whilst I don't have loads, I have 3

FreeSat
Sly ROI
Sly UK

I know your instructions say use ROI, but is that only if I'm in the ROI???

Rusty. and Hi Leslie1554

Right, did a factory reset, and told the initial setup to specify 28.2 on tuner A

Now back to autobouquets, and whilst I don't have loads, I have 3

FreeSat
Sly ROI
Sly UK

I know your instructions say use ROI, but is that only if I'm in the ROI???
U just want

Sky Uk
Sky ROI

in that order unless you are from ROI then put that 1st

ur settings should look something like this but put the area to whatever yours is.....

http://puu.sh/jwMUg/742974758e.png
http://puu.sh/jwMXx/1c1fc6a9e3.png

With these settings all my channels are in sky order eg sky sports news 401

Okay,

So I have an Autobouquet.... and then I scanned for channels, the screen says it found over a 1000 video and 100 plus radio, so that's good.

Went to next step, sorting out the EPG

Started downloading, and then box went to boot after about 4-5 minutes.

I'm thinking, did this auto boot because it's complete?

So I go to EPG on my remote, and there are no channels listed.

So I'm thinking, maybe the CrossEPG failed, try again.

Gets quite a bit further than before, then box goes to boot again.

This time when it fires up, a message appears saying

Cache Flush Status Stopped

So I try the CrossEPG again, and this time round the box goes to boot after a while, the message regarding Cache shows, then I get a Fatal Signal Error Message

In the wise words of Mario Balotelli .... Why Is It Always Me

For Satanta hd I did this after doing abm setup in guide menu, setup, service searching, manual scan, go to transponder, keep pressing left till 11224 v 27500 2/3 green start scan*
Then*
1.go to bottom of bouquet list there's last scanned
2.go through it till you find satanta hd*
3.press ok
4.Press down
5.Menu
6.Press 5 add service to bouquet*
Go down to favourites (TV) press ok do same with premier hd.

It's still not in sports bouquet but it'll stay tin favourites when abm does update.
When transponder changes you'll have to check kingofsat for new transponder details and follow steps again.

I can get through the process just fine. I scan for channels, which finds 1000's, yet once I reboot following the channel scan the only channels that have watchable content are the usual free to air ones. The premium channles like sly news hq are black with a blue symbol in the top right hand corner. The free test nlines I've tried said that I should be able to see Discovery History, but I can't.

In the usr/keys folder I have mg_cfg (which I have not amended since flashing the box) and newcamd.list. That file looks like this-

CWS_KEEPALIVE = 300
CWS_INCOMING_PORT = 21000
CWS = my nline in the format: ip port username password 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14
CWS = which I have left unchanged so it reads: 192.168.1.2 20000:20005 dummy dummy 10 02 13 04 15 06 17 08 09 01 11 12 13 1
CWS = which I have left unchanged so it reads:*************************** 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 server 1

Since everyhting else appears to be working with the image, I'm assuming the nline is my issue. Any more experienced heads have an idea what's going on?

Cheers

@spadge
Is your EPG saving to your memory stick/hard drive?
Have a look mate
Menu
Setup
System
EPG
Settings
EPG location
Should say /media/hdd

Back