I'm looking for a laptop

sandiemag

Account Deleted at user's request.
I'm in the market for a laptop.

Have a look at this one for me and let me know what you think - spec and value for money etc

what do you think

Any similar alternatives would be greatly appreciated, bearing in mind I'm in the UK.

what will be your main use for it sandiemag?

basically usual work/office type applications, photo and video making / editing. Nothing exceptional, don't use it for gaming. Was just really looking for something with reasonable storage and fast, with some future proofing.

Guys, I would really appreciate any further input into this thread.

I'm looking for some advice on if the laptop in my initial post is good and value for money.
Any alternatives around the same sort of price range would be of interest to me too.

Thanks for the replies so far (y)

Last edited:
Hi sandiemag

The initial Toshiba laptop is very good spec and about as good as you'll get value for money wise there are really only three options left to paly with i would think processor, Ram, Hard Dive

I would weigh up the options of the processor Amd 2.1ghz and Intel 2.0ghz , i have worked on a number of laptops with both these amd and Intel processor and found the Intel to be more nimble in your everyday tasks outlook, word excel, web browsing in the intensive stuff pretty much even video editing, Photoshop, i also find the Intel to run cooler

Also the Ram is a factor and at 3gb ddr2 the Toshiba has plenty

Some new laptops are coming with ddr3 ram which by the time you decide to add more will probably more widely available and cheaper than ddr2 a bit like ddr (1) and ddr2 at the moment also with all these new windows supposed to be coming out every few years it nice to know that when needed an upgrade is cheap and easy to source that's the main reason i posted the two Acer laptops they both come with ddr3 ram and Intel chips

To be honest i doubt there is much performance differences between these three laptops at the moment but with the introduction of windows 7 the ram might be a bit more noticable

Value for money there really isn't that much either the Acer is £40 dearer but has an Intel processor, 4gb of ddr3 and 70gb more hard drive space, so its 10-12% more expensive but might be worth it

The less expensive Acer is the same price but has 90gb less hard drive space and 3gb ddr3

Sorry if i went on a bit much but i would personally prefer this Acer but the Toshiba is still really good value its £40 cheaper
Aspire 5738Z-423G32Mn LX.PAR0X.076 - Laptops Direct

Hi sandiemag

The initial Toshiba laptop is very good spec and about as good as you'll get value for money wise there are really only three options left to paly with i would think processor, Ram, Hard Dive

I would weigh up the options of the processor Amd 2.1ghz and Intel 2.0ghz , i have worked on a number of laptops with both these amd and Intel processor and found the Intel to be more nimble in your everyday tasks outlook, word excel, web browsing in the intensive stuff pretty much even video editing, Photoshop, i also find the Intel to run cooler

Also the Ram is a factor and at 3gb ddr2 the Toshiba has plenty

Some new laptops are coming with ddr3 ram which by the time you decide to add more will probably more widely available and cheaper than ddr2 a bit like ddr (1) and ddr2 at the moment also with all these new windows supposed to be coming out every few years it nice to know that when needed an upgrade is cheap and easy to source that's the main reason i posted the two Acer laptops they both come with ddr3 ram and Intel chips

To be honest i doubt there is much performance differences between these three laptops at the moment but with the introduction of windows 7 the ram might be a bit more noticable

Value for money there really isn't that much either the Acer is £40 dearer but has an Intel processor, 4gb of ddr3 and 70gb more hard drive space, so its 10-12% more expensive but might be worth it

The less expensive Acer is the same price but has 90gb less hard drive space and 3gb ddr3

Sorry if i went on a bit much but i would personally prefer this Acer but the Toshiba is still really good value its £40 cheaper
Aspire 5738Z-423G32Mn LX.PAR0X.076 - Laptops Direct

thanks again m8, thats good info, more opions to look at (y)

sandie im going to have a nose around to see what laptops are on offer do you need to get it in the next few weeks if not id wait around till win 7 is release and you should be able to get some bargains from some of the bigger retailers i will get back to you at some stage tomorrow and let you know what iv found

myself i would go for the acer i have found them a very good make and have not been let down by them yet and that looks a good price
Acer Aspire 5738Z-423G32Mn Laptop £428-97

but i do think there will be better deals around near win 7 release

Last edited:
sandie im going to have a nose around to see what laptops are on offer do you need to get it in the next few weeks if not id wait around till win 7 is release and you should be able to get some bargains from some of the bigger retailers i will get back to you at some stage tomorrow and let you know what iv found

myself i would go for the acer i have found them a very good make and have not been let down by them yet and that looks a good price
Acer Aspire 5738Z-423G32Mn Laptop £428-97

but i do think there will be better deals around near win 7 release

ok, thanks had, I'm not in any real rush.
Just think that I may have problems with my printer and possibly other things with windows 7.
If it comes with vista, thats not a problem, i'll just install XP Pro, its what i'm using now and its ok.
cheers m8.

win 7 seems to be very compatible with a lot of the same drivers as xp so i dont think youll have any prob there and you can do xp on them as well id wait and see

Nice lappy there Sandie. My first 2 lappys were Acer and my current one is a Toshiba. My main requirement for me is a 17" screen.

Back