Immersion Heater.

cactikid

VIP Member
Slight issue with a non heating heater and best to ask before wet hands and power highlights things. :dizzy:

Not checked for power yet but led is lit.

My cylinder has been upgraded years ago when Solar Panels got installed to a much taller one and covered in green insulation.

Videos show draining down system fully or partial to allow removable top heater after power is cut for safety.

Looking at a video on You Tube i see a similar size cylinder and replacing a 27" unit.

Quality is the next question as someone mentioned dont use a copper one as they have a short life ??

Dont have a spanner to suit removal but have a voltmeter somewhere to check.

What sealer is also used on new gasket ??

Plumber or electrician or one that does both.

Wonder what the Irish fee is for doing a replacement.

Last edited:
Its a five minute job.
Power it off.
Take top cap off and check for voltage but it likely to need replacing.
You need a spanner from plumbers merchant.
Partially drain the tank by running hot taps while incoming cold supply is off.
Unscrew it using big spanner.
Use plumbers mait or PTFE tape on the thread of the new one.
Connect cables back up and power it on

Be surprised as it was on a low setting and would have needed a tweak for my shower.

I did notice he showed the reset switch but his dial was up at 70+ mine was down low but will get it checked as need a ladder , glasses and a light to see it.

getting into bed at 3 am immersion kicked in once so today have removed cover and adjusted it anti clockwise and it kicked in .

Might turn it off and check when i need hot water to give it a quick boost and see if it kicks in.

Its a Thermtec dual D24/1AN but i dont have a bath but power shower and wondered if in future it needed changing opt for a single 24 or increase length to 27 but would it fit?

Thought i did an edit on this post as dont have bath and that is why they are long but assuming i can get a longer length for single use.

Last edited:
Back