Import custom charges

moshibeth

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
In the process of buying a big new chainsaw from china and weight is app 8 KG. Item paid for and got this message below this morning so any ideas what cost maybe Guys thanks moshi

Hi Sir,

Thanks for your business.
Hope all is well with you.
Sir, your parcel is more than 2kg, and we will ship out your parcel by quicker express.
Hope you can understand, we are not responsible for any custom duty or import tax, as we described in the listing.
We must declare the price you paid, there is high tax,not sure how much is the tax, you can confirm the specific tax with your local customs.
So we need confirm with you before we ship out the parcel to you.
Would you mind being charged tax and help clearance?
Please let us know clearly can we continue to ship out your parcel, thanks.

Waiting for your reply.
Best regards,

Not sure of exact price - but there will be import duty to pay and then VAT (20%) as well as your shipping fees. Could work out expensive

VAT is 20% on everything like this yes.
No one knows what import duty will be.
That said I have had loads of stuff from China in the past and never paid anything on anything.
I think the seller wants you to send him a load of cash, needless to say you'll never see it again and neither will the tax man.

I'd tell him you'll sort the customs/import paperwork yourself

VAT is 20% on everything like this yes.
No one knows what import duty will be.
That said I have had loads of stuff from China in the past and never paid anything on anything.
I think the seller wants you to send him a load of cash, needless to say you'll never see it again and neither will the tax man.

I'd tell him you'll sort the customs/import paperwork yourself
Its all done through ebay and paypal. Big seller but mostly smaller service kits for chainsaws. Pistons-filters-spares ect but all under 2kg

It doesn't go on weight it goes on the price.
I know people who have bought 100 android devices @ £10 each = £1000 but total weight is only a few kilos.
No import duty paid

Don't forget courier charges as well. They have to do the paperwork so they add their bit as well. I bring parts in to the uk fror EU and we get about £15 in total added.

I have bought a few bits from Alliexpress and since Jan 1 of this year they have been requested by the UK to collect the VAT at POS. so if I see something on there for £100, I actually pay £120, not had any import taxes or other charges applied for a while now but most stuff is less then £150.

I have bought a few bits from Alliexpress and since Jan 1 of this year they have been requested by the UK to collect the VAT at POS. so if I see something on there for £100, I actually pay £120, not had any import taxes or other charges applied for a while now but most stuff is less then £150.
Confirmed order now grog and its a fair bit cheaper than i can get in the uk so allowing for VAT and import hoping it will be on par or less. 105cc chainsaw for milling some logs i have and that is some tool. I will run a 60 inch bar on it (ANIMAL) :ROFLMAO:

import tax is calculated at 20% of the value of the item as declared on the insurance cover for that item, this is true even if the item is used, I found this out the hard way when a friend sent me a used tuner for an E2 system

import tax is calculated at 20% of the value of the item as declared on the insurance cover for that item, this is true even if the item is used, I found this out the hard way when a friend sent me a used tuner for an E2 system
20% is correct (VAT) on gov website plus any import/courier charges

I’m guessing the sender probably hasn’t filled in the paperwork. So it should all depend on whether or not they bother to check it at the border.

If they do, You’ll have the 20% vat, 2.5% customs if it’s above £135 but less than £630, the £15 courier charge, and possibly a trade tariff depending on what category it falls into

UK Global Online Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates - GOV.UK

the tariff is what’s been catching most people out, that’s why you keeping seeing these stories on the news about someone having to pay about £100 in tax on a coat etc

I’m guessing the sender probably hasn’t filled in the paperwork. So it should all depend on whether or not they bother to check it at the border.

If they do, You’ll have the 20% vat, 2.5% customs if it’s above £135 but less than £630, the £15 courier charge, and possibly a trade tariff depending on what category it falls into

UK Global Online Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates - GOV.UK

the tariff is what’s been catching most people out, that’s why you keeping seeing these stories on the news about someone having to pay about £100 in tax on a coat etc
That site is a joke... I have some car parts arrivingbut try searching for those to sed the tariff

Back