Individually Control HDD Power

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve long since abandoned the use of Dual Booting due to the hassles which can be associated with it, like corrupt boot\grub loaders or the nuisance encountered when it comes to formatting for a clean install of one OS etc, plus, I have internal drives I only use for storage occasionally. I know too that that the majority of seemingly good ideas one might conjure up are already out there. With that in mind I set out looking for a supplier of something that would allow me to conveniently control the power to internal HDD’s independently.

I managed to source three different providers, one of which was for IDE drives only and has since gone out of business but the other two had units for SATA drives which are still available. The problem is that these two sources are on the wrong side of the world & if at all possible I’d prefer to avoid the grief associated with that too, like long lead time & possible extra charges for import taxes etc.

I’d imagine too that it’s a fairly niche market?

Do any of you know of a reliable source closer to home who provide such units?

These are the two examples of what I’ve found so far.

PCI Plate Option 4 Port:

Sw3_zps3512a901.jpg

SW2_zps2e99aa08.jpg

3.5" Bay Option 4 Port (Also available in a 6 port 5.25" Bay option)

SW3_zps41a7b782.jpg

SW4_zpsfd66e2cd.jpg

Last edited:
Never really had\required the need for such devices Gman. But if I hear or come across anything I will let you know bud.

I am getting a little bit rusty on my computer technology of late.

jodav :)

Well aside from the reasons I want something like this, there's no point in having internal drives spinning away using electricity & shortening their lifespan needlessly if they are only used occasionally?

Well aside from the reasons I want something like this, there's no point in having internal drives spinning away using electricity & shortening their lifespan needlessly if they are only used occasionally?

I totaly agree Gman, all hard drives have a life span and so devices like these will increase such drives life span for years. when I say never had the need, what I really should have said was could not be bothered lol

jodav :)

Back