Initialise hard drive fail

septicsac

Tried to add a 1.5tb external hard drive, but failed to initialise. What format should it be in , currently ntfs, should it be fat32 ? ?
Tried ignoring error, but when I did this it then was not able to create swap file.
Any ideas ?
Drive is a verbatim 1.5tb with external power supply and followed instructions a per sucmnsee guide for vix image for h2s

Didnt get as far as timeshift. Took out the hardrive and despite being formatted yesterday it has reverted back to raw file system. Now question is what format do I put on it now, NTFS or Fat 32 and what size partitions is best suited for recording , especially recordings that might be over 3 hours?

in fat32 you can only have a file size of 3gb, i dont know how much recording that is at sd or even hd. but i dont think it will stop recording once it hits that it will just make another file

Forgot that timeshift was set up from previous usb, so disabled it and then formatted hard drive to FAT32 and working fine so far. Storing EPG, will try record later on when kids out of the way

Initialise the HDD from you sat receiver - it will format it as ext3 which is a linux filesystem you'll then have no issues over the length of your recordings

I tried other ubs drives and they format fine. Had 3 power cuts the other day, so say they messed with the hard drive as it has its own power source. Will reformat and say it will be fine

Back