Windows 7 Installing 32bit programs on 64bit

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
I'm sure i've mentioned this one before somewhere, but cannot remember, so I will clear my doubts and raise my questions again. :)

My HP laptop should be arriving next week, so thought i'd get down to abit of research. Started checking my programs against the compatibility section of Microsofts website. I see that there will not be a 64bit version of FireFox?

So would it be wise to install the 32 bit version of firefox and take it that way?

Also, I have the programs that i've been using on my Windows XP machine [32bit] and would like to continue using almost all of them on the Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit.

Should i just go and install these 32 bit programs on the system and see how it plans out or?

I'll install the 64 bit version of ESET NOD32 AntiVirus as i don't want to compromise the security.

The programs that i'm interested with installing on my new laptop are:

• 7 Zip File Manager = Supported Version 4
  • Microsoft Office 2007 = Supporterd Professional/Enterprise/Standard/Ultimate
  • DFX for Windows Media Player = Cant Find Info
  • FireFox = Supported Version 3 Only
  • Fireworks MX2004 = Not Listed In Compatibility Check
  • Internet Download Manager = Supported Version 5.12
  • MalwareBytes Anti Malware = Supported Version 1 [Max 1.44]
  • ESET NOD32 AntiVirus = 64bit Supported
  • Tune Up Utilities [2008] = Cant Find Info
  • VLC Media Player = Supported Version 1
  • WinAvi Video Converter = Cant Find Info
  • Total Video Converter = Cant Find Info

Last edited:
Dan i'm open to correction on this but with 7,your 32 bit programs will install as 32 bit and put into a seperate programe file,you should'nt have any issue's or problems

I Think Gman cleared this up before but not sure where, wouldnt worry about it dan as sinno says and check out these links also

Code:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384249%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Code:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Cheers Guys, i'm in the zone again. :)

The same installation file i have now for my Antivirus is compatible with x64 along with TuneUp Utilities.

Roll on next week.! :)

Intel Celeron @ 1.5Ghz to Intel i3 at 2.40Ghz. WOOO :smoke rings:

As said by sinno and axxxo there is no problem there Dan.

Windows 7 64bit creates two program files folders. (can be viewed under Windows Explorer)

Program files: Holds all 64bit installed applications.

Program Files(86)
Holds all 32bit installed applications.

So you're good to go eitherway (y)

Back