Installing Plex On The Nowtv Box (£10 Rebranded Cheapest Plex Streame (F)

Fusion

TK Veteran
use it at your risk !! Attached Files i not got a NowTV box

CENTER] In Sky's hope to push NowTV into the living room, they have rebranded a Roku 2 and put it on sale for a heavily discounted price of just £10 delivered on the Sky Website.

The downside, they blocked Netflix, Plex and other streaming apps besides BBC iPlayer and Channel 5 on demand (understandable, when they are paying for 75% of the unit's retail price to get you into a NowTV subscription)(f)

Note: All other Roku apps are available, Sky are just blocking streaming services which compete with their business model, (ie Lovefilm, Plex and Netflix)

You can purchase the box £10 delivered at: https://shop.nowtv.com

The good news however, you can enable the dev mode and manually install Plex. Here is how:

1) Enable dev mode on your box by pressing:
HOME 3 times
UP 2 times
RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT

(if this does not work then make sure you are not leaving long pauses between button presses)

2) Enable developer mode on the screen that comes up.

3) Download Plex client for Roku from: https://github.com/d....ublic/Plex.zip
computer:
2.6.6: Download
2.6.6 Dropbox Mirror: Download
2.5.2 Older Version: Download from GitHub

4) Open web browser on your computer and browse to the Roku's IP (example: http://192.168.1.100)

5) Click browse and navigate to the Plex.zip you downloaded

6) Click the install button

7) Run Plex

This should keep you going!

Long term goal is hopefully finding a way to flash the original Roku Firmware (non-NowTV custom one), if this becomes available I'll be sure to update this thread! But for now, pick up a wireless streamer with remote to enjoy Plex for a mere £10 delivered!

enjoy :)
any good ?

Note: A more indepth guide

Step by Step Guide to installing Plex on a NowTV Box

Now TV Box

Follow this easy step by step guide to get your NowTV box setup and install Plex without having to sign up for any NowTV service.

Background:

The NowTV box is just a rebranded Roku LT (which usually retails for around £40) however sadly Sky choose to block third party apps which compete with it’s service, with this guide I’ll show you how to enable the developer mode and get around Sky’s restriction and get Plex up and running in no time. This can be achieved in about 10 minutes.

Before you begin this guide, I will assume you have already purchased your NowTV box, but if not, for only £9.99 delivered you might as well order one (or a few, hehe!) and allow Sky to subsidize your Plex viewing habits. You can buy them at this link: https://shop.nowtv.com

Step 1: Registering a free NowTV account.

To even get the NowTV box setup, you need to setup an account with Sky. They will try and push you into giving away credit card details in the promise of a free 30 day trial (which they hope you forget to cancel and then charge you for it) but if you follow these steps you can avoid all that (and even get away with fake details):

Click this link to go to the Sign up Page: Join NOW TV today and watch the latest movies and live Sky Sports | NOW TV

Scroll down and Select the 30 day free Movies Trial (ignore the Sports Day Pass):

Setup Account Step 1 – Selecting Free Trial

Next you’re asked for some details. I filled in a random name for this step as well as a username and password. It does ask for an email address for this step and I did use an old email of mine but they never asked to verify it so you could get away with entering any old/fake email address here.

Setup Account Step 2 – Entering Details

On the next page, it will suddenly ask you for a credit card and billing address. I do not wish to give this to Sky so at this stage I just closed the page. But rest assured the account is still made and usable!

Setup Account Step 3 – Just close this page

Job done, your account is made but you didn’t have to give any details away and is now ready for the NowTV box.

Step 2: Connecting up and Configure your NowTV Box.

This is simple, unbox your NowTV device and connect it up to your TV.

Now TV Box

When you first boot it up, it will ask for your wireless network details then performs some software updates. Once these are completed you need to login with your newely created account before your device completes setup and boots up.

Now TV Box Stock Menu

Step 3: Enabling Developer Mode and Install Plex

First thing’s first, your need to download Plex to your PC. I’ve compiled the latest Plex for Roku from Github ready for use, which you can download here:

Download Plex 2.6.9 for NowTV Box

(If this version ever becomes out of date and I haven’t updated this post, just reply in this thread and I’ll compile the latest for you).

Download this file to your desktop, but don’t unzip it.

Next, grab your Now TV remote and press the following buttons in order, relatively quickly. If you fail once, just repeat and try again:

Home x3, Up x2, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right

All going well, you will be presented with the below screen:

Now TV - Enable Developer Mode

Write down the address which is shown, or take a picture (this is important!)

Next press ‘OK’ on the ‘Enable installer’ option presented and agree to the developer agreement that appears (you have to pretend to read it all, so just hold the down button until its fully scrolled and press ok). You will need to agree one final time on the pop up box and your NowTV box will restart.

Once it’s reloaded and back on the home screen fire up your web browser on your PC and go to the address which was shown to you earlier. If you got it correct, you will be presented with the below screen:

Roku Development Application Installer

Select ‘Browse’ and select the zip file you downloaded earlier. Select install and all going well you will be presented with the below:

Roku Development Installer Success

Now take a look at your TV and you should see the below:

Plex Installed on NowTV Box

Your all set, Plex is installed onto your NowTV box. Think of the bright side of this, Sky have subsized your Plex media habits by giving you a Roku box at a dirt cheap price!

Plex Installed on NowTV Box

Down the line if you ever want to complete another update, you will need to repeat the process with the web browser and loading a zip. Sadly as Plex was installed via the developer route it cannot be updated via the Channel Store like normal apps.

How to add itv player via PLEX on NOWTV box
I know ITV Player has now been spotted on test versions of nowtv box software. How long will it be before it becomes official is anybody's guess.

In meantime, this guide shows how to add itv player to now tv box using PLEX

I have written this guide as I found web only had parts of it and it took me a while to get right. It works on my now tv box now. Best part is no ads.

Downside Plex server on PC has to be running. There is a NAS version but I have not tried that.

1. Download and install Plex Media Server on PC from
https://plex.tv/downloads

2. Download Plex 2.8.2 for NOW TV from
http://www.nakedclea....-client-2-8-2/

3. Install Plex on NOW TV (using 2.8.2 above not 2.6.9)
Digiex

4.Download ITV PLayer plugin from
https://github.com/R...V-Player.bundle

a) extract zip file to a directory e.g. c:\itv

b)go to itv directory, and rename directory ITV-Player.bundle-master to ITV-Player.bundle (remove -master)

c)copy this directory and subdirectories to plugins directory (for w7, W8) (copy and paste) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins

final directory should be as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins\ITV-Player.bundle\Contents plus more subdirectories below contents

5) Test you can addin and run ITV Player on PC first.

6) load up Plex on Nowtv box and ITV should be available as a channel. [/CENTER]

[video=youtube;lmQBcbVLWZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmQBcbVLWZc[/video]

use it at your risk !! Attached Files i not got a NowTV box !

Attachments

• Plex-NowTV-2_8_2.zip
    415.7 KB · Views: 34
  • NetflixUK.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • RARflix.zip
    744.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back