installing TP-LINK WN823N on Zgemma H2s.

mark_safc

Using Whoosbuild Infinity and trying to install the TP Link dongle to connect to wifi. I have tried installing the Realtek RTL8192EU plugin and restarting the box but can't seem to get my box to recognise the dongle. I get no lights on the dongle and it's not showing up when I try to set up the newtwork. Any ideas where I am going wrong?

I have tested the dongle in laptop and it works fine and connects to wifi etc. so I'm sure it's a driver issue I am having and not getting the box to recognise the dongle.

Have you looked for the right driver in extensions for zgemma usually dongles take the rt5730 chipset driver I havnt box to check my wifi dongle driver chipset

Have you looked for the right driver in extensions for zgemma usually dongles take the rt5730 chipset driver I havnt box to check my wifi dongle driver chipset

Thanks for the quick reply mate, I followed instructions from another thread and tried installing the plugin "rtl8192eu" through the downloadable plugins menu on whooshbuild. Have tried rebooting box but can't seem to get the box to recognise the dongle.

Using Whoosbuild Infinity and trying to install the TP Link dongle to connect to wifi. I have tried installing the Realtek RTL8192EU plugin and restarting the box but can't seem to get my box to recognise the dongle. I get no lights on the dongle and it's not showing up when I try to set up the newtwork. Any ideas where I am going wrong?

I have tested the dongle in laptop and it works fine and connects to wifi etc. so I'm sure it's a driver issue I am having and not getting the box to recognise the dongle.
That USB wifi dongle has 3 versions V1 V2 V3 so go to TP Link Website Support for your version and search for the PDF User Guide that includes the LINUX Driver name. Then on remote Press GREEN GREEN, select Drivers and download driver.
Or you could try this:
Insert the wifi dongle in front USB slot. On remote Press GREEN GREEN, select Drivers and download 88x2bu driver.
Then reboot and press BLUE Network to select the WLAN option and enter your wifi router password to connect.

That USB wifi dongle has 3 versions V1 V2 V3 so go to TP Link Website Support for your version and search for the PDF User Guide that includes the LINUX Driver name. Then on remote Press GREEN GREEN, select Drivers and download driver.
Or you could try this:
Insert the wifi dongle in front USB slot. On remote Press GREEN GREEN, select Drivers and download 88x2bu driver.
Then reboot and press BLUE Network to select the WLAN option and enter your wifi router password to connect.

Thanks. I have the V2 version of the dongle. Tried installing the drivers via plugins though and still no luck. Can I download and install the drivers from TP Link site? There is a .ko file in there but not really sure how to do it.

Thanks. I have the V2 version of the dongle. Tried installing the drivers via plugins though and still no luck. Can I download and install the drivers from TP Link site? There is a .ko file in there but not really sure how to do it.
I checked TP Link website and V2 uses the Linux driver Realtek 88x2bu. I have that same driver in a Zgemma H5 box with a 1200Mbps Dual Band USB Dongle Wifi Network Adapter It is listed in the Drivers Plugins as 'network-usb-rtl8822bu'. After downloading the driver and rebooting the box you must set it up in the Network Wizard and it should work OK.

Last edited:
I checked TP Link website and V2 uses the Linux driver Realtek 88x2bu. I have that same driver in a 1200Mbps Dual Band USB Dongle Wifi Network Adapter in a Zgemma H5 box. It is listed in the Drivers Plugins as 'network-usb-rtl8822bu'. After downloading the driver and rebooting the box you must set it up in the Network Adapter settings and it should work OK.

I have installed the driver but when I go into Network setup, I don't get any option to chose WLAN. Only the LAN connection is showing in there.

I have installed the driver but when I go into Network setup, I don't get any option to chose WLAN. Only the LAN connection is showing in there.
After driver installation and box reboot, with WN823N adapter in front slot, did you follow these steps?:
Press BLUE
Network
Network Wizard
OK
WLAN connection
List available networks
Select your wifi network
User interface = yes
Use DHCP = yes
Use manual dns = no
Hidden nameserver = no
Network name (SSID) = your wifi network
Encryption =WPA or WPA2
Encryption key = your wifi router password
Press OK
Wait for activation ... (1-2 minutes)

Last edited:
After driver installation and box reboot, with WN823N adapter in front slot, did you follow these steps?:
Press BLUE
Network
Network Wizard
OK
WLAN connection
List available networks
Select your wifi network
User interface = yes
Use DHCP = yes
Use manual dns = no
Hidden nameserver = no
Network name (SSID) = your wifi network
Encryption =WPA or WPA2
Encryption key = your wifi router password
Press OK
Wait for activation ... (1-2 minutes)

Yes, I tried this. But it isn't possible for me to progress pass the 5th point. When I go into the network settings I get no option to choose WLAN, it only shows a LAN. I'm assuming this is because my box hasn't picked up the adapter so is not recognising a WLAN option. There is no light on the dongle either when it is plugged into the front of box. I have tested it on laptop and all works fine, so I'm certain that this is some kind of driver problem I am having.

Yes, I tried this. But it isn't possible for me to progress pass the 5th point. When I go into the network settings I get no option to choose WLAN, it only shows a LAN. I'm assuming this is because my box hasn't picked up the adapter so is not recognising a WLAN option. There is no light on the dongle either when it is plugged into the front of box. I have tested it on laptop and all works fine, so I'm certain that this is some kind of driver problem I am having.
Your adapter may work on your laptop as I believe the operating system automatically finds a compatible driver, unlike Zgemma box.
Are you using OpenATV 6.4 with the latest software updates?
Have you installed these two driver plugins and rebooted?
network-usb-rtl8812au - probably best
network-usb-rtl8822bu - may work
If it still doesn't work sorry I cannot suggest any further solutions.

Back