Internal HDD questions/suggestions

Session9

VIP Member
Hi all,

I'm after a new internal HDD for my computer. I've exhausted all the space on the one already in there, and my external drive as well. I'd rather not get another external because it's taking up too much space for something I have plugged in constantly.

I'm looking at 2TB or above.
If I can buy it from somewhere in Australia, that would be good as well.
I'm not too worried about cost, but I'll see what's recommended before I say more on that.

The one I was looking at is: WD20EARS

And I've had a suggestion of: WD20EURS

I'm not too sure what the difference is between the two. Or what the main things I should be looking at are.

I have searched, and read reviews, but it's all a bit confusing for my little head. Any more suggestions or easy to understand advice would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you!

Hi Session9, I found this elswhere if it helps you .

The A/V drives ignore errors, the normal drives will do an error recovery to attempt to get back any data from the platter.

When recording video (security cameras etc) you want an A/V drive that will just record whatever you throw at it, and keep going even if it misses a byte or two. An error in a couple of bytes just causes a minor blip in the video stream, but the rest won't stop. On a normal drive it could go into an error recovery mode and stop recording for 10-30 seconds - and this is much worse for security.

However if you store documents, a single byte error could corrupt megabytes or even gigabytes of important data.

Which you choose depends on your purpose...

I'm a long time fan of WD and if you are just looking at adding extra space to you suystem either of the two you posted will do fine.

If you intend to use the new drive as the host drive (for your OS) again either will do. If heavy use or gaming is a consideration you should look at the WD Caviar Black or as price is not an issue you should get the 20 pack lol

If price aint an issue id go for this lol
At a buck per gig........
[video=youtube;M3eFgClKGMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3eFgClKGMc[/video]

Like Gman, I am a WD fan, but I view them the same as any of the other 2 manufacturers when it comes to this size drive. I have seen more reviews come across with this size drive failing than I want to take the chance on. All the way up to 1.5TB seems to be holding good, aside from the occasional bad egg, but it seems the upper limits of the technology is still having some issues, and that is a tremendous amount of data to risk losing.

As for the SSD that axxxo posted, I would love to have one as my OS drive where your data stays somewhat constant, but I think that I will hold off still on recommending them for storage drives where large chunks of data can/will be written and erased routinely. Even though there is lots of data out there stating that the read/write cylcle limitations on the newer versions is virtually limitless for the normal person, you still can find data that says otherwise. And once again that is a chance that I am not ready to take. OS backups are easily done and restored, but trying to backup TBs of data is a whole different issue. Just my 2 cents.

I'd have to agree with everything ferg said in above post.

Personally I won't trust my data to anything higher than 1TB as these have proven very reliable for me so far.

I use RAID 0 on my main system using two 500GB drives and 1TB drives for data storage.

Hi all,

I'm after a new internal HDD for my computer. I've exhausted all the space on the one already in there, and my external drive as well. I'd rather not get another external because it's taking up too much space for something I have plugged in constantly.

If I can buy it from somewhere in Australia, that would be good as well.
I'm not too worried about cost, but I'll see what's recommended before I say more on that.

The one I was looking at is: WD20EARS

And I've had a suggestion of: WD20EURS

I'm not too sure what the difference is between the two. Or what the main things I should be looking at are.

I have searched, and read reviews, but it's all a bit confusing for my little head. Any more suggestions or easy to understand advice would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you!

Changed me mind.... had an epiphany... ;) Since you aren't "concerned" with the money aspect then the HDD to get is the Cavalier Black... NO doubt in me little bitty brain. ;)

btw.. I've had a 750GB Samsung take a dump from what I can tell.... it's a sad day... oh... and won't buy another one.. Seagate and WD are my preferences but have 2 1TB Hitachi's on the shelf for install... will let ya know how those preform once I get them installed and running. :)

Running:

3 - 320GB Seagates
1 - 250GB WD
1 - 750GB WD
2 - 500GB Seagate external

Shelved and ready:
2 - 1TB Hitachi
1 - 500GB Seagate
1 - 250GB WD

I have some other odds and ends but those are the ones I use the most.... and yes I have more than 3 computers just in case you thought all that was running off one machine... well it could but it's not atm.... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all!

You guys are awesome, I love only having to go to one place with a question :grin:

What I got from all that is I should be looking at a WD Black, no higher than 1.5TB until people get their crap together regarding higher amounts of storage.
Like this: WD1502FAEX ?

It will be used mainly for storing DVD backups, videos, photos, music and game files/data, if that makes a difference.

:agreed:

It's BLACK and a WD... enough said if you ask me. :)

Last edited:
Great :)
That wasn't so hard! Thanks heaps all.

The only ones I can find are in the US. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one in Australia? Newegg doesn't ship internationally..

I don't have any mates that do more than Facebook and play The Sims 2 on their computers unfortunately :boo:
If I said SATA their brains would fry.

I will check those sites out and take the plunge with one.
There's a good $40 difference in price between them!

I will check those sites out and take the plunge with one.
There's a good $40 difference in price between them![/quote]

LOL... welcome to the world of internet retail gauging.... ;)

It's similar here as well.. you just have to find the best deal with S&H and hope the company is a good one. ;) Mwave have a good rep here but their prices are hit and miss like you would expect from any retailer. (y)

Mwave was actually the cheapest out of those sites, so I guess I've found where my money is going!
Thanks again for all the help (y)

Back