Internet Keeps Dropping out

Sky Broadband - SKY HUB SR-102-Z WIRELESS Router - 17 MB, Unlimited
Running 2 x iphones
ZGemma H.2S - IPTV Sub and CCcam - Wooshbuild latest version - VIA LAN

I have been running the above hardware/software with internet issue at all for nearly 2 years.
However as of Last Tuesday evening my Sky Broadband Box Keeps losing connection, the white Smiley face light goes off then flashes back on Orange and reconnects some minutes later. This can happen every 10 mins or every hour, its just not stable and I have no idea what's causing this.

Called Sky last week who done checks and told me it was the router - been replaced with a new one and still the same issue. I thought It was my ZGemma software causing the issue so I factory restored the box but still the same issue, I lose both WiFI and LAN connections.

I do not (for some reason) have a test socket behind fascia, I do however have 3 phone connections but I do not have a phone plugged in and am only using one connection with Micro filter which has been replaced also.

Speed test when running gives me around 9/10MBPS Download speed which is about as normal for me.

Any suggestions on what this could be and how to tackle this?

hi mate ive had same issues with sly for years,ring them up and tell the tech team u want to change the channel on ur router,u can do this on ur laptop by putting in ur ip address in the url and sky will talk u thru it.i found channel 11 is best for me.hope this helps

Have u had an engineer out m8 ?, I was a BB engineer with BT up till last year, it could b one of a 100 things , Insist on a broadband boost engineer ,that way u mite get someone that knows what there doing

Sky Broadband - SKY HUB SR-102-Z WIRELESS Router - 17 MB, Unlimited
Running 2 x iphones
ZGemma H.2S - IPTV Sub and CCcam - Wooshbuild latest version - VIA LAN

I have been running the above hardware/software with internet issue at all for nearly 2 years.
However as of Last Tuesday evening my Sky Broadband Box Keeps losing connection, the white Smiley face light goes off then flashes back on Orange and reconnects some minutes later. This can happen every 10 mins or every hour, its just not stable and I have no idea what's causing this.

Called Sky last week who done checks and told me it was the router - been replaced with a new one and still the same issue. I thought It was my ZGemma software causing the issue so I factory restored the box but still the same issue, I lose both WiFI and LAN connections.

I do not (for some reason) have a test socket behind fascia, I do however have 3 phone connections but I do not have a phone plugged in and am only using one connection with Micro filter which has been replaced also.

Speed test when running gives me around 9/10MBPS Download speed which is about as normal for me.

Any suggestions on what this could be and how to tackle this?

according to what I've read today, you don't have to pay for a below standard service so simply inform them you will be witholding payment for each month that it's below minimum speeds

also, is there no other broadband supplier you could use? - is VM BB not available where you live?

I would go with VM if u go with anyone i.e. BT talk talk you'll be using the same line and the fault will still be on it, they rent the line from BT

If you only have a copper connection (no fibre) and fancy a change, try Plusnet, their customer service is brilliant. They are tied to bt so no issues when there is a line problem, they just send an engineer out.
I've just had them replace the cable and main socket in my house FOC, because I reported a low speed issue.

I am with BT for 2 yrs now and as from last May 2016 my internet speed has dropped.
It has been a headache after numerous telephone call of doing checks still no better.
They gave me 2 months money back which is good and they convinced me that fibre will be a lot better with no problems and as a sweetener the cost will be no more than what I am paying now for 18 month contract so I agreed. Fingers crossed that it all goes well and the end of headaches.
This is my speed to my Zgemma box at this moment.image.jpeg

Holy moly
and I thought mine used to be slow at 4
I went fibre and now get a steady 16-17
with TT.
all the providers told me I'd only get between 15-20 max, and would only guarantee me 15

I couldn't understand it at first when I tried to watch iptv movies, racing uk, box sets, they froze or wouldn't come on at all, so I got vpn for £2.50 per month thinking that would solve the problem did it ef.
I changed images so many times just to see if that was causing the speed dropping, you would just try anything to solve it.
I am looking forward to the installation of the fibre in January.
I will post back the result when all done

There is a few things you can try,, firstly get VM if its available in your area, i have been with vm since 2003 and i have never looked back and infact i think i can count in one hand the amount of times my broadband has failed in all that time.

As bangored30 says dont use stock routers/use draytek or other open source routers with the likes of ddwrt or my favourite software which i have recently flashed which is asuswrt/merlin.

Another thing to try is a line test through bt/your router should be connected directly to the main hub in your home? if its not this can cause issues too, so NO extensions or little small telephone boxes,your main connection will be the large type bt sockets,also try another filter.

Other things you can try with stock routers, kinda limited but firstly try a factory reset/then change the default password/also turn upnp off which is stupidly turned on as default in pretty much all stock routers/also try changing the dns servers on your devices to open dns or google.

Also pablo is correct, you should not be putting up with below par broadband, ofcom/ trading standards are to name a few you can complain to.

Make sure your router is connected to the main hub as i said above if you end up with an engineer calling out,it should be connected to the main hub anyway.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks Celtic, there is no vm in the area I live in unfortunately, I will definitely try everything else you mentioned it all makes perfect sense.
I have got now till mid January to solve it

image.png Which one of these should I buy and would the router be faster and would I need to check the speed coming in to the house and if so how would I check that

Before you go spending the Wonga £££ make sure you have tried and tested all available methods to solve your problem. I experienced similar issues as already mentioned in this thread from my Sky Q router. It was a pain. In the end I reset router back to factory default and all seems good for now. I also have all my hard wired on static ip address and I use google dns on my boxes.
If you want to check your speed go to http://www.speedtest.net/

Yeah that’s a really poor speed. No wonder you have issues. Hopefully when you get the fibre in you’ll be sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy drayteks 2nd hand for under £100 but if you are waiting on fibre being installed then i would hold off too because your options will change as to which router is suited best for you, ie one with built in fibre modem or catv dsl input with seperate modem etc etc.

Back