Internet Security 2010 Removal

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Internet Security 2010 - Removal Instructions

internetsecurity2010.jpg

1. Print out these instructions as we may need to close every window that is open later in the fix.

2. Before we can do anything we must first end the processes that belong to Internet Security 2010 so that it does not interfere with the cleaning procedure. To do this, download the following file to your desktop.

rkill.com Download Link

3. Once it is downloaded, double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Internet Security 2010 and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by Internet Security 2010 when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate Internet Security 2010 . So, please try running Rkill until malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the guide.

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

4. Now you should download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following location and save it to your desktop:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Download Link

5. Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including this one.

6. Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.

7. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing and is at the last screen, make sure you uncheck both of the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware check boxes. Then click on the Finish button. If Malwarebytes' prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.

If you receive a code 2 error while installing Malwarebytes's, please press the OK button to close these errors as we will resolve them in future steps. The code 2 error will look similar to the image below.

code2error5735503.jpg

8. As this infection deletes a core executable of Malwarebytes' we will need to download a new copy of it and put it in the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder. To download the file please click on the following link:

Malwarebytes' EXE Download

When your browser prompts you where to save it to, please save it to the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder. When downloading the file, it will have a random filename. Please leave the filename the way it is as it is important that it is not changed. You may want to write down the name of the file as you will need to know the name in the next step.

9. Once the file has been downloaded, open the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder and double-click on the file you downloaded in step 8. MBAM will now start and you will be at the main program screen as shown below.

mbam5854735.jpg

10. Before you can perform a scan, you must first update the program. To do this click on the Update tab, and that at the new screen click on the Check for Updates button. Malwarebytes' will now check for new updates and download and install them as necessary. When the update is completed, you will be prompted with a message stating either that you already have the latest updates or that they have been updated. Either way, you should now click on the OK button to continue.

11. Now click on the Scanner tab and make sure the the Perform full scan option is selected. Then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for Internet Security 2010 related files.

12. MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the image below.

scanning6024926.jpg

13. When the scan is finished a message box will appear as shown in the image below.

scanfinished6106834.jpg

You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the Internet Security 2010 removal process.

14. You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should click on the Show Results button.

15. A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.

mbaminternetsecurity201.png

You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.

16. When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad window.

17. You can now exit the MBAM program.

18. Due to the fact that this infection deletes certain MalwareBytes' files, and we had to work around this, if you wish to continue using MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, which we suggest you do, then you should uninstall and then install it again so that the files are created properly.

Your computer should now be free of the Internet Security 2010 program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.

If you are still having problems with your computer after completing these instructions, then please follow the steps outlined in the topic linked below:

Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log

Associated Internet Security 2010 Files:

c:\s
c:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010
c:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010\IS2010.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\41.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winhelper86.dll
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate86.exe
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Internet Security 2010.lnk
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Internet Security 2010.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Internet Security 2010.lnk

Associated Internet Security 2010 Windows Registry Information:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IS2010
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Internet Security 2010"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "winupdate86.exe"

Source: Bleeping Computer
-

Last edited:
Now there's a coincidence! Just had a mate call me saying he's coming up with his laptop cause it just got riddled with Internet Security 2010! Was gonna do it the usual way with Combofix but will do it your way Gman for a change and check it out. Cheers.

this looks like a particularly nasty one, is there a specific way that this is being spread..e-mail, facebook, etc?
thanks for your help

If it's anything like the earlier versions it gets presented to you when you visit rogue sites. It appears telling you that you are infected & offers to fix the problem for you.

Unwitting users accept this offer and allow it to run (effectively infecting their machine themselves).

Once installed it fixes nothing, and remember, there was nothing there in the first place.

It's reasonably professional looking so they try to force the user to pay for the full version & claim it will solve all your problems (that you never had until you allowed their piece of crap onto your system).

It's particularly nasty in that it has a very strong in-built defense mechanism which is pretty good at stopping attempts to remove it.

-

thanks Gman, for the information, so the lesson is dont accept any offers of virus removal, free or otherwise

thanks Gman, for the information, so the lesson is dont accept any offers of virus removal, free or otherwise

Well, I'd tweak that statement a little wheelo.

Most, if not all the best malware removal tools are free.

The ones that pop up out of the blue, uninvited, when you are surfing, are definitely bad for your systems health LOL!

-

REMOVED! :happy: I followed the directions and got rid of that nasty Virus. I don't know where i picked it up. I never agreed to or saw a virus program that wanted to be installed to my computer. My AVG anti- virus caught it - System32\helper32.dll file i think it was. I deleted it,but i guess there were more files? Yeah this is a trick one- They put the virus on your computer and then want you to buy this bull shit program to remove it. Just curious, what do you guys have on your computers to fight against these hackers?? I have AVG,Zonealarm and Malwarebytes.

THANK YOU GMAN!!! YOU SAVED ME! (y)

Just did my mates laptop and he got it from an email from an architect he received. He just said he opened the email and stuff started happening. Quite a few of these infections are almost unstoppable in receiving them. You can protect yourself only so much.

Glad you got it sorted Franco.

I use the full version of AVG along with Malwarebytes Antimalware.

Clever surfing is the key though. Some of these nasties present themselves as annoying pop up's and in some cases bare no mention as to their true identity. Merely clicking on the red "X" to close the pop up actually initiates the install.

-

True, I hear what your saying, Iam pretty careful where I surf,but sometimes the wave takes me to shark infested areas :doh: Let me know if you ever need anything I can ever help with. I really do appreciate your help.

True, I hear what your saying, Iam pretty careful where I surf,but sometimes the wave takes me to shark infested areas :doh: Let me know if you ever need anything I can ever help with. I really do appreciate your help.

That what this place is all about Franco. Helping whoever & whenever we can :)

You can post over a few of those Babes(in person) you photograph, if you like LOL!

-

Last edited:
Cheers for the info Gman, needless to say the little beast was well designed, the interface looks well professional and would easily convince some into thinking that its for your own protection.

Franco i use AVG prof and windows defender on this pc and Webroot spysweeper prof with Anti virus and windows defender on my laptop. Its a new pc few months old and so far so good xx

Back