IPTV Too many choice so many issues....

Fathead50

Hi,

I'm living in Ireland. I was a user/lover of the Whoosh build with the old service before sky etc. ruined my fun. The service I had was cheap and occasionally glitched but overall I was in heaven. Since the lockout I've tried my arm at IPTV services and have encountered so many problems/issues I thinking of doing something very drastic......no not that drastic, but I may go back paying for cable services (OMG)

I originally had the Zgemma Star 2 box which I loved but read that it was slower that the newer Zgemma box and it caused lag with IPTV services. So I decided to take action and I bought the Mag 256 box (made for IPTV). Almost all services I trialled with this box had sound issues plus the box kept going into a loop and turning itself off. This was a legit box bought from World of Satellite (whom are currently in possession of the box and are testing for problems I experienced). Google searches informed me the firmware in the MAG 256 still has lots of bugs in it and users will have to be patient before they are resolved... The MAG 254 although not as powerful of a box is running on a more stable firmware will less issues. But I was determined so I went in search of another alternative.

I decided to take action by buying the dreamlink T1+ box but again I found although a lovely little box the subs I was trialling or buying were no where near what I expected. I've used lots of services including ACE, NECTRO and lots more but each one I found had serious issues for me. No EPG, Freezing CONSTANTLY or they neglected the Irish/UK stations so much I was only getting a handful of stations I actually wanted to watch. Having hundreds of foreign stations is great for some but my Indian and Punjabi are really not up to watching sports or tv programs so I'm not getting a lot of benefit from it...

I've also tried the Perfect Player, DOL2 and IPTV Service apps on some android boxes I own and although there are a lot of pluses I still have issues with them all. So...... the reason I'm posting here is because I want honest feedback. Am I looking for too much from an IPTV service provider? The service I loved is dead now but it wasn't a perfect service (it did freeze occasionally but it always recovered and it didn't happen all the time) Is it now necessary to have loads of blank stations, poor Irish TV stations support or sound issues as a given. Am I using the wrong service providers or am I using the wrong combination of equipment with the wrong service provider?

I'm interested in hearing others views. I've read so many positive reviews of IPTV but mainly these are from persons outside of Ireland. What are your Irish experiences. What equipment would you use between Zgemma Star 2, MAG 256, Dreamlink T1+ and what service providers would you use with this equipment. If I buy anymore equipment it might end up cheaper paying for cable legitimately (LOL)

Oh btw I have 360mbps package broadband and all equipment used were all hard wired and not connecting wirelessly. All HDMI's have been checked and I'm happy there is not hardware issues I've not considered or troubleshot. Its also worth noting that I love all things tech but admittedly there is still lots that I don't know about tech and am nowhere near an expert.

My goal here is to get a multi room package with stable Irish/UK stations and a full range of sports channels. I want a comprehensive EPG that works, I want a steady picture quality even if that's in SD (I don't need HD necessarily). I don't want a load of blank in between the stations I watch and lastly it needs to be simple to use. My wife needs to be able to operate it if the kids and I are not home LOL ;-)

Am I looking for too much? Your thoughts comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Signed frustrated ;-)

If you have cable, why don't you just buy a cable receiver which will give you almost all the same channels as you had with your S*y previously?

If you have cable, why don't you just buy a cable receiver which will give you almost all the same channels as you had with your S*y previously?

Hi Ste, I have a satellite dish with cables running to two different tv rooms, both these rooms have Wlan cables running directly to routers. The zgemma box is a dual satellite receiver box but what service do you suggest I use to get almost the same as s*y? Are you referring to view to air stations? Because I'm after the sports stations and PPV boxing & MMA channels.

Do you think Satellite receiver boxes provide a more stable service than the MAG boxes and android boxes.
Thanks.

Wires coming from a satellite dish is irrelevant - I mean CABLE TV / CABLE INTERNET / V*RGIN MEDIA etc. ... do you have this?

in your op you said:

'but I may go back paying for cable services (OMG)'

if you are in a cabled area, you can get everything but you need a cable zgemma or other cable box

Reactions: ste
Wires coming from a satellite dish is irrelevant - I mean CABLE TV / CABLE INTERNET / V*RGIN MEDIA etc. ... do you have this?
Thanks for the clarification Ste, yes in one room I have access to the VM cable box but not in the other room (which is actually a shed in the garden).

My zgemma star 2 box probably isn't compatible so I would need to buy a H5.2TC or similar. So, say I buy this cable receiver, what then? Do I pay a sub to someone for a line?. Is there much to connecting this up? Thanks.

in your op you said:

'but I may go back paying for cable services (OMG)'

if you are in a cabled area, you can get everything but you need a cable zgemma or other cable box
Thanks Pabloescaban, yes I do have a VM cable box in one room and now that I think of it I also have the new siro/voda box installed but inactive.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF your broadband provider is cable forget iptv & do as ste says get a cable box as this works the same way as Sly did only needing a small net useage for encription as all channels are carried on the incoming cable feed. IPTV is steamed & uses your net to provide all channels, service varies a lot between IPTV providers & finding a good one can be trial & error but in my opinion this IPTV needs work

so, to recap, you've got:
Zgemma 2s = satellite and iptv
MAG 256 = iptv box
dreamlink T1+ = iptv box
and you can't get a decent iptv signal / server / connection?

what broadband do you have?

Zgemma H2.H for £70 will cure all your problems BTW

IF your broadband provider is cable forget iptv & do as ste says get a cable box as this works the same way as Sly did only needing a small net useage for encription as all channels are carried on the incoming cable feed. IPTV is steamed & uses your net to provide all channels, service varies a lot between IPTV providers & finding a good one can be trial & error but in my opinion this IPTV needs work
Thanks BeakyFord, I too agree IPTV needs more time to work well. I've trailed so many and still haven't found a service I like never mind love and willing to pay for.

So now I just need to educate myself in how to buy and set up Ste's suggestion. Again to clarify once I have the box I should be able to get the PPV and sports stations? Do I need a VM box to connect to the cable receiver box? And so I need a paid VM subscription in addition to the cable receiver box.

Thanks.

MAG 256 = iptv box
dreamlink T1+ = iptv box

100% correct Pabloescaban. I have VM's 360 home package.

MAG 256 = iptv box
dreamlink T1+ = iptv box

"Zgemma H2.H for £70 will cure all your problems BTW" why do you think this is the answer Pabloescaban and how?

Thanks.

there's a section of this site where you can buy a zgemma (site sponsors) I suggest ordering a H2H or whichever cable enabled zgemma box.
when it arrives flash a build onto it, there are plenty to choose from in the downloads section, get yourself a line and you're good to go :(y):

there's a section of this site where you can buy a zgemma (site sponsors) I suggest ordering a H2H or whichever cable enabled zgemma box.
when it arrives flash a build onto it, there are plenty to choose from in the downloads section, get yourself a line and you're good to go :(y):
Thank you Pabloescaban, sounds relatively easy. So to recap:

Get cable enabled zgemma box
Flash it with Whooshbuild or similar
Connect Zgemma box directly to vm box on the wall (without having a cable paid service)
Find provider of a line for a cam
And I'm good to go?

Do I connect zgemma box to VM cable receiver or Zgemma box to VM box on the wall.

Thank you

Is there people on here who sell lines or recommendations of whom are trust worthy sellers?

Thanks

I was gonna order a mag 256 box tomorrow, but after reading these post I will have to think twice now, I am in northern Ireland and I do have VM connection and their top internet and basic free channels, but I am just wondering if cable will end up going the same way as sky has gone. That's the reason I was gonna go with IPTV so is there a box out there that covers cable and IPTV that won't cost a fortune, at the minute I also have what's left on sat on a dreambox, which I took out a euro sub, mainly for the football, but I am thinking of something the rest of the family could use easily enough to watch thing's on the likes of sky 1 Atlantic etc. Feedback most appreciated, thanks.

before you settle on a H2H you are best to decide what you want/need from your box, other boxes that cost more will allow you to watch one channel while recording another etc, most of the 'higher end' boxes have multiple tuners that are changeable (hot swap in/out sly or cable tuners or a combo of both). There is a ‘which box guide’ on the forum to help you decide.

Not trying to complicate things for you but you may want more than the entry level boxes can provide, it’s all down to cost vs what you require, you will also need to request a sub for Ire (many posters have struggled to get codes for Ire). To get boxes in the locations you have stated will be a pain as you need to run the incoming cable to each cable box & there are specific rules you need to follow to make it work on all boxes smoothly, I’d start with the one main box then once that’s up & running look towards adding 2nd/3rd boxes etc.

I was gonna order a mag 256 box tomorrow, but after reading these post I will have to think twice now, I am in northern Ireland and I do have VM connection and their top internet and basic free channels, but I am just wondering if cable will end up going the same way as sky has gone. That's the reason I was gonna go with IPTV so is there a box out there that covers cable and IPTV that won't cost a fortune, at the minute I also have what's left on sat on a dreambox, which I took out a euro sub, mainly for the football, but I am thinking of something the rest of the family could use easily enough to watch thing's on the likes of sky 1 Atlantic etc. Feedback most appreciated, thanks.
TBF provider of the mag 256 found genuine issue with my box (emailed me in the last hour) they are replacing it and retesting the replacement. However my research found a lot of users had this difficulty. From what I found/understand the new MAG 256 is a more powerful box than the MAG 254 but the firmware is no where near as stable. Maybe the older and slightly cheaper MAG 254 is a better IPTV box? With this said, finding a good reliable IPTV service provider is like looking for a needle in a hay stack imo.

I'm going to take STE's suggestion and test his theory for myself. I loved the old whooshbuild with the sly skin and the Zgemma 2s was a trusty piece of kit until s*y killed its ability. VM could do something similar too but I think I will take the chance for now at least.

I'll post about my progress here for anyone interested.

I wouldn't spend a fortune, a H2H box is fairly cheap, around £70 and can handle cable, sat and iptv, so if evertthing does go t!tsup on the cable side, you're still good to go with iptv

I loved the old whooshbuild with the sly skin and the Zgemma 2s was a trusty piece of kit until s*y killed its ability. VM could do something similar too but I think I will take the chance for now at least.

the look & feel of the box as you had it can be done the same to which ever box you buy as long as its an Enigma2 receiver, its the skins that give it the look & most of the functions are simply plugins that we use when putting an image together so its easy to have your box looking/feeling the same as you had before, you dont need to use a specific build...you can try several of the images members have uploaded from their backups, have the VM look, have the Sly look, movie organiser etc all this is possible thanks to the hard work techies have put into making the plugins & skins we use :)

before you settle on a H2H you are best to decide what you want/need from your box, other boxes that cost more will allow you to watch one channel while recording another etc, most of the 'higher end' boxes have multiple tuners that are changeable (hot swap in/out sly or cable tuners or a combo of both). There is a ‘which box guide’ on the forum to help you decide.

Not trying to complicate things for you but you may want more than the entry level boxes can provide, it’s all down to cost vs what you require, you will also need to request a sub for Ire (many posters have struggled to get codes for Ire). To get boxes in the locations you have stated will be a pain as you need to run the incoming cable to each cable box & there are specific rules you need to follow to make it work on all boxes smoothly, I’d start with the one main box then once that’s up & running look towards adding 2nd/3rd boxes etc.
Agreed Beakyford, I concur and hear you loud and clear. I will probably opt for the zgemma H5.2TC as this allows me to record one and watch another. Plus I will trial one box at a time. I have satellite cable running to the other room which could be interrupted and utilised but not sure if this cable is actually suitable/compatible. I'll do my homework first before buying a 2nd box for sure. At the moment in that isolated room I'm using the wizard tv app on a monthly sub (android box) but I'm looking for a better and cheaper alternative long term.

Thanks.

the look & feel of the box as you had it can be done the same to which ever box you buy as long as its an Enigma2 receiver, its the skins that give it the look & most of the functions are simply plugins that we use when putting an image together so its easy to have your box looking/feeling the same as you had before, you dont need to use a specific build...you can try several of the images members have uploaded from their backups, have the VM look, have the Sly look, movie organiser etc all this is possible thanks to the hard work techies have put into making the plugins & skins we use :)
hard work is right and its greatly appreciated!

putting a build/image together is a lot easier than many realise, guides are on this forum & plenty of help from members should you get stuck, building your own image is by far the best way as you then know whats gone wrong & how to fix it yourself, its all a learning curve & you gain knowledge as you go so IF as you said you like tech I'd highly recommend you look towards making your own image once you feel comfortable with the process (follow the detailed guides & you wont go 'far' wrong)

Back