iptv vpn advice

hello i am after some help and advice about installing a vpn. i have just activated the smart iptv app and the duplex app which are pre installed on my lg smart tv, and have a iptv sub which is up and running fine. i have been advised to install a vpn but basically dont know how. i have just purchased mcafee protection for my new laptop, and i think that it can be installed on about 5 devices, so was wondering if this could be done, if not i dont mind purchasing another vpn if needs be. thanks in advance.

McAfee is antivirus, completely unrelated to iptv so forget that.

You can't put a vpn app directly onto your smart tv so you can either a) buy a vpn router b) buy a device to watch iptv on that can have a vpn put on it

By far the quickest and easiest option is to buy a firestick for £20—£30 and use that to watch your iptv sub on. By the sound of it your provider has confirmed you'll need a vpn to watch at times.

Buy the firestick and read up on vpn's on this forum while you wait for it to be delivered.

hia thanks for that good advice. the tv seams to be running ok with no problems as yet, so im definately going to look down the vpn router option. thanks again

hia thanks for that good advice. the tv seams to be running ok with no problems as yet, so im definately going to look down the vpn router option. thanks again

The iptv will run fine till a EPL or ECL football match is on, then all channels could go black.

Router is a) more expensive b) more complicated to set up

Firestick a) easy to setup b) has dedicated vpn apps c) means you're not tied to the limited iptv apps available on your smart tv d) cheap as chips

Sometimes because people have a tv that can run iptv, they think they must use it for iptv. Don't make life more difficult for yourself by thinking like that.

thanks for the advice. im getting educated all the time. from the 2 posts i have recieved, it looks like a no brainer. got to be a fire stick.

thanks again
Ye fire stick is simple to setup and is great for IPTV and VPN with the latter working on 2nd gen and above.

Depending on the provider you choose some may not be blocked during the footy but if they are then VPN is of course needed and are easy to setup on the fire stick.

At one bit you could get spider vpn with router for around £50-£60 same price as a 4k firestick when not on sale.
Its one of kinds of scenario pay out for a new device say 4k firestick £49.99 then a vpn on top say £20 =£69.99 or you could look at spider vpn which offers free vpn router around £50-£60 for a 3 year plan and protect every device in your home all connected to the router on WiFi and ethanet.
Why pay out for a brand new device and add a vpn when you can buy a router and use your current device have a look here before buying a firestick and vpn

Plans – Spider Connect

At one bit you could get spider vpn with router for around £50-£60 same price as a 4k firestick when not on sale.
Its one of kinds of scenario pay out for a new device say 4k firestick £49.99 then a vpn on top say £20 =£69.99 or you could look at spider vpn which offers free vpn router around £50-£60 for a 3 year plan and protect every device in your home all connected to the router on WiFi and ethanet.
Why pay out for a brand new device and add a vpn when you can buy a router and use your current device have a look here before buying a firestick and vpn

Plans – Spider Connect
Had a spider VPN about 18 months ago got to say it was terrible. However things may of changed.

thanks for everyones advice. seeing as ive just got my iptv sub all up and running on lg smart tv with duplex app i think that a decent router with built in vpn might do for my needs. i dont mind paying a reasonable price for a router which will work well for streaming and device protection. im not a gamer, so if anyone can recommend a suitable one for my needs up to about £150 thats what ill consider. thanks to all

Just be careful if you're internet provider is Sly, as then you will need a router with the Option 61/MER authentication protocol (certain Draytek or Netgear Nighthawk models etc.)

NordVPN have an offer on at the moment. A 2 year subscription for £68.53 (68% discount). When you go to checkout remember to change the country from United Kingdom to somewhere like Guernsey so that it doesn't add the 20% VAT.

thanks for everyones advice. seeing as ive just got my iptv sub all up and running on lg smart tv with duplex app i think that a decent router with built in vpn might do for my needs. i dont mind paying a reasonable price for a router which will work well for streaming and device protection. im not a gamer, so if anyone can recommend a suitable one for my needs up to about £150 thats what ill consider. thanks to all

In all honesty, it might be easier (and cheaper) getting a fire stick and setting that up with a VPN, rather than a new router+vpn configuration etc.

You can get the duplex app on the fire stick.

thanks for that. this really is a minefield for me. lol. just when i think ive got my mind made up theres something technical that i didnt know about. it seems that the common thread throughout this is the fire stick, so it looks like ebay here i come. one question i have is ive just paid for a 12 month tv sub, will i have to pay again or can i sort with my provider, and once i have stick and vpn, is it reasonably easy to apply to fire stick. thank you all again.

By all means you can buy a new (vpn-able) router and configure it to use a vpn service, just be careful which model you buy and do some homework first to ensure it will work with your isp and vpn provider. Unless split tunneling traffic it would then mean all internet traffic in your house would go through the vpn router - great for privacy, maybe not so much if you are trying to access a bank account or other service where your vpn server may have been blacklisted or use of vpn inadvertently detected as fraud. You would want the ability to easily control the vpn on and off or which programs/ip addresses can bypass the vpn etc... it could get more tricky technically, in setting it all up and configuring it correctly, which is why I suspect a fire stick may be the easier option.

Fire stick with a VPN app and the iptv player app both installed (duplex, tivimate, xciptv etc.) on the fire stick. Turn on the vpn. Check the vpn is working (visit google and type what is my ip address and check it is the ip of the vpn and not your isp) and then load up your iptv app and away you go.

There is also another app I use which is relatively unobtrusive if you want added peace of mind that your vpn is working whilst watching the iptv. Google "vpn safety dot" for android. This puts a small slow flashing green dot in the top corner of your screen and simply when it's green it means the vpn is working and if it's red it means the vpn isn't working.

Please check with your supplier before you purchase the fire stick, they should be able to provide you with login details for the duplex app on fire stick. If your sub is only for 1 line / 1 device then obviously don't try to run two instances of iptv otherwise this could lead to your service being blocked. Maybe once you have it set up and working okay on the fire stick then uninstall the app from your smart tv so there are no accidents.

Back